Looking to get into the business.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get into the business.

Im 19 and have just graduated HS in Wisconsin. I was interested in law enforcement and security for years. Id like to become a bodyguard/security officer but Im not sure how to get started. The research Ive done for schools and courses look like scams, I mean how can you really learn "hands on" over your computer on an "online course." Im a martial artist and well built which I've been told helps alot, but what kind of personal protection schools are there? How do I get started?

Martial Arts won't help you, honestly. Its a totally different world, you must be able to use force to the standards of the State of Wisconsin Department of Justice, called the DAAT system. You must be able to articulate what level of force was used against you, what level of force you used on the attacker, and why you felt the force was necessary.

To be a security officer, you must be licensed by the State of Wisconsin, Division of Licensing and Regulation. To offer private police, watchman, or army services without a license is a felony. (Unlicensed Peace Officer Act)

Protection services are performed by Private Investigators in Wisconsin. However, the first thing you have to do is take a test with Promissor, a testing company. The test is $130 dollars, and and then you will pay an additional fee to the state. You must study for the test by purchasing text books, the State DRL website tells you what texts the test is taken from.

Wisconsin law states that only a sworn peace officer (A law enforcement officer, park ranger, water patrol officer, or other government agent authorized to go armed) may carry a concealed weapon. Sworn peace officers must still undergo DRL training in Private Officer Firearms to get their Private Security Firearms Permit. The only thing this allows you to do is carry a firearm openly while providing security services in a uniform.

Private investigators, unless providing security services in a uniform, may not go armed, and no private person may go armed with a concealed weapon. Only a sworn public officer moonlighting as a PI or security person may carry concealed.

To get your private security person's permit, you must be sponsored by a security company. You may obtain your PI permit on your own.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Sounds like good advice to me. I do think that martial arts can be beneficial, however, mainly because it teaches good discipline which security professionals need. So it is not a bad thing, but you shouldn't think that you can use martial arts strikes on people you are detaining. Your company will have use of force policies that will not allow that.
      Find local security jobs at www.securityemploymentservices.com

Comment

Make a plan and stick to it. MartialArts is useful but may not be the first thing you need to do, as noted below.
        Don't forget to use the local library before spending money on books, they may have or be able to get what you need.
        Just a note on courses, take what you enjoy.
        Originally posted by SD Security
        Sounds like good advice to me. I do think that martial arts can be beneficial, however, mainly because it teaches good discipline which security professionals need. So it is not a bad thing, but you shouldn't think that you can use martial arts strikes on people you are detaining. Your company will have use of force policies that will not allow that.
        Last edited by Eric; 09-07-2006, 07:51 AM.
        Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
        Groucho Marx

Comment

On courses, there is one course that is non-negotiable in Wisconsin. You must take the Promissor Wisconsin Private Investigator Test. Information:
          http://www.asisvcs.com/indhome.asp?CPCAT=PD50STATEREG
          http://drl.wi.gov/prof/prid/cred.htm
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Executive Protection

Do you want to be a body guard or Executive Personal Protection? There is a big difference. Those who are real experts got there start in the military or US Secret Service. My experience came in the military when I served on several protection details while a member of the US Army CID who provides executive protection for several high ranking DoD officials which will remain unnamed in this thread for obvious security reasons.

Believe me, there is a lot more to Executive Personal Protection than sporting a new suit, ear piece, and ray ban sun glasses.

Go to college and join the Secret Service if you want to really get into Executive Protection. The US State Department is another avenue; but their agents are also college grads.

Comment

Thank you all much for your time. You've been very helpful.

Comment

There is a huge range of both quality and quantity among EP schools. In the EP section of Tactical Forums, there is a sticky with a rather candid breakdown of the various programs. Beware of anyone who claims to turn you into a competent EP operator in four days for $500 it’s just not going to happen

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X