Run in with Rent-a-cop discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run in with Rent-a-cop discussion

There's a discussion over at a Conceal Carry gun forum I frequent. The URL for the thread is at- http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=10280
    The 2 problems I have with this are-
    1- the original posters attitude toward Security in general
    and
    2-the constant use of the term Rent-a-cop. Many here know that it's a major pet peeve of mine when jerks use this term to refer to any Security Officer. As I've stated before, I'm not a rent-a-cop, I'm a Security Officer. You want a rent-a-cop? Contact your local LE agency and arrange to pay the department for a secified number of LEOs who will come to your facility in their Police uniforms driving their Police cars and will work your "extra duty assignment". You get a bonified cop to watch your place and the LEO gets to make some extra money on his off hours from this regular duty shift.

Comments?
    Hospital Security Officer

Seems like another version of the constant battle between security and the rest of the world. Both sides have valid points concerning security in general. The field still suffers from a poor perception for the most part. However I wonder if backyard mechanic with his concealed permit would have found it as funny if armed s/o's had initiated the stop, noticed the pistol, and he had found himself staring down a barrel. Doesn't seem like a person with the maturity to carry concealed or otherwise.
    Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Most people on packing.org and other sites believe they have more rights than a "stupid security guard" because they are citizens, and "rent-a-cops don't have powers." I.e. second class citizenship.

In many states, we're regulated in what weapon we can carry, and they're not on their CCW. So, you get the "better than thou mentality." This is prevelant in Florida as LE and CCW holders may carry whatever they want, and G officers may carry a .38 caliber revolver or a 9mm pistol. That's it.

Now, I'm going to actually read the article, and comment on it.

The guy's whole beef is that the guard got out, unarmed, and dared approach him while he was carrying a CCW? Sounds typical. This guy does not need to be carrying.

Here's what sums it up, and why they are "better" than us:
      Inspector Cluseau, risking armed confrontation with nothing more than OC, all for min $, to secure other's property, well, that deserves consideration.

This should be shown to every property that dosen't believe in armed security, but demands their security force actively investigate things and confront people.

CCW holders believe they are better than security, and believe that their gun gives them carte blanche authority to violate the site rules and/or local laws.

Most people aren't so quick to play that game when the know that a 9mm in a holster will beat their concealed .45.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

You know I'm not done...

Common perception:
        And here's the problem I see with the "rent-a-cop" buisness or any security type job similar to it. Most of these guys have NO authority to do ANYTHING except say "please stop" in a hopefully authorotative(sp?) voice. In most cases, "security" is a complete joke IMHO. I get the greatest kick out of seeing some of these security guys all dressed up to the nines in big hats and big uniforms that say "SECURITY" all over them and all they have on their belt is a small plastic flashlight and a set of keys! These guys can do NOTHING to stop ANYONE. They have no authority at all. They might as well be janitors with fancy uniforms.
        The "armed citizen" has authority, but the security guard does not. Keep this in mind when dealing with a CCW holder, folks. They will most likely try to draw their concealed weapon to "defend themselves from your gun grab."

One of the guys at SPE has a great saying: If defeat is inevitable, ensure they earn it.

At least at the end, mostly from guys who have done security before, the theme is: Just because you have a CCW and 4 hours training dosen't make you too cool for school, especially when the guard has 28 hours vs. your 4.
        Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 06-05-2006, 12:15 AM.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

By the way,
          I'm Red Stick on that forum if you see my reply. I decided to keep it simple and low key. No point arguing with a jack***.
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
            By the way,
            I'm Red Stick on that forum if you see my reply. I decided to keep it simple and low key. No point arguing with a jack***.
            A true indication of people not knowing what they're talking about is calling the armored and bank-babysitters "highly trained." Who's worked Armored? I won't. I want to live.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              A true indication of people not knowing what they're talking about is calling the armored and bank-babysitters "highly trained." Who's worked Armored? I won't. I want to live.
              Well let me put it to you this way: If I'm working an armored car and making $9.00 per hour, I'm not laying my life on the line for insured money and a big metal vehicle. When the AK-47 is pointed at me (assuming they don't just kill me on sight), I'm gonna toss them the keys and wish them well. Then call LE once they drive away.

Unprofessional? Maybe. I can see getting in a gunfight to protect my own life or somebody else's, but I wouldn't exchange gunfire just to save someone else's money.
              Last edited by wvd1979; 06-05-2006, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Once upon a time in a galaxy far away I was a mobile patrol S/O much like the one described. Unarmed, I was only equipped with my 6-cell maglite, handcuffs, OC, and Taser. I carried an Mk-3 canister which fit in the palm of my hand. Whenever I approached a vehicle that was suspicious and obviously occupied, I would sometimes just have the small canister ready for drawing/firing. I was always looking out for weapons and furitive movements. My first quote to the driver, before I even reached the window would be a direction for them to get their hands on the steering wheel. I told myself, if any weapons came up, that car was going to get a good shot of OC and I was going to run like hell. From my experience, you would be hard pressed to find a lot of people that could accurately fire a firearm with OC in their eyes and a spotlight and takedowns shined upon their vehicle with overhead lights flashing.

People told me sometimes I should just deploy my taser on anyone who raised a firearm to me. But, in the words of an Explorer Academy TAC Officer I once had, "Don't ever bring a taser to a gunfight dummy."
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

You get a non-blockbuster hit and you will get a JHP hit, as well.

Comment

Notice how the author of that posting's screen name started with the word "ensane", which may indicate mental instability as well as illiteracy. The caption in the avatar below the screen name was "game over please insert more beer" which indicates a propensity to alcoholism and sedentary activity like sitting around and playing video games while becoming inebriated. It sounds to me like that guy has some real issues. Because of his own insecurity, he feels the need to feel superior to others and is not only offended, but unusually floored by such a seemingly comical display of "authority" he described.
                    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

It aint just Security.....

I have had LEO's talk bad about Corrections as well. I just look at them and simply state, You get a gun and nightstick, and a taser to deal with the scum. We got a radio, restraints, and chemical agents. You pick'em up and bring them to us, we deal with them all day long. So remember, if it were not for us, your job would be worse!

Comment

I notice how the word "guard" is used in a somewhat condescending fashion by the public in Texas. I also notice how that word is used to describe corrections officers as well as security officers and it irks them as well.
                        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Guard.....

I don't Guard a Prison, I have yet to see anyone try to Break into a Prison,

LMAO

Comment

Alot of what gives the Public Police their holier than thou attitude is the media and more importantly Hollywood.

Think about it, the public thinks, thanks to television and movies that public police work is all Gunfights, Kung fu, and driving like the Dukes of Hazzard all the time.

I mean...the dog catchers... excuse me..."animal police" have their own show now, so now everyone wants to be a dog catcher...I mean animal cop.

If the public knew that public police work is really, mostly, mundane, boring things like traffic and responding to medical emergencies where they just "stand guard", of course the public police will never admit this.

Also if the public police would be honest with themselves and not delude themselves into believing all of the "hype" that has grown up around their profession, then maybe we could all "just get along".

Comment

I will say this. There is definately a "us vs. them" mentality in American Law Enforcement. It seems to be in British Law Enforcement, as well.

There are two types of people in the world: Those who work for a government agency as a law enforcement officer, and those who don't. There are a few exceptions, like Railroad Police - they're so old that they got into the brotherhood when it started, but for the most part... Its "us vs. them," and we're the them.

You can see it in some folks when the question is asked, "If you were being brutally attacked by a suspect, and were losing, would you want someone to help you?"

The older guys, who've been on the side of the road and lost, say "Anybody. I don't care, I want to live." A lot of the younger guys will say, "Only another cop. I don't trust __________."

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X