Armed accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackhole
    Nah, it cost me around $500 for my pistol permit. Just out of curiousity, who told you that any idiot can be a peace officer? In order to be a peace officer, you need to be appointed by a government agency (town, village, county, etc) or otherwise be specially allowed by law to attend the training. They had town constables where I used to live that were peace officers - the only thing differenciating them from the city police was the title.

I personally don't understand why we have peace officers here. The training and powers are so similar to the police, it seems almost useless.
    Also when you can excercise police powers, only on duty vs. 24/7. The peace officer status in NYS was a cheap way to get around having to pay and train fully qualified police for colleges and city/state agencies. Some have minimal training and perform unarmed ( the horror stories from NYC Homeless Police come to mind) all the way up to fully qualified but restricted jurisdiction and enforcement powers. And being appointed by any agency doesn't prevent one from being an idiot. Add nepotism, the old boy network, political pressure and small town politics in general and you get what you get. Even large cities and State agency hires aren't immune from the same conditions.
    Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541
      Where in NY are you? If you are in the lower NYC/Westchester County area I would say, apply for your CT pistol permit and then get your Guard Card and "Blue Card" to work in CT. Whole thing should run you around $300 max, and then you can work any security job armed or unarmed in CT.
      AFAIK, you can't get a pistol permit in a state you don't live in. I had to jump through hoops to just transfer my permit when I moved to a different county within NY.

Comment

Originally posted by ycaso77
        Also when you can excercise police powers, only on duty vs. 24/7. The peace officer status in NYS was a cheap way to get around having to pay and train fully qualified police for colleges and city/state agencies. Some have minimal training and perform unarmed ( the horror stories from NYC Homeless Police come to mind) all the way up to fully qualified but restricted jurisdiction and enforcement powers. And being appointed by any agency doesn't prevent one from being an idiot. Add nepotism, the old boy network, political pressure and small town politics in general and you get what you get. Even large cities and State agency hires aren't immune from the same conditions.
        I see your point. Another agency that seems to be filled with useless dolts as peace officers is the NYS Office of Mental Health, their "Police Officers" are usually damn fools that take their job wayyyyy too seriously.

I would venture to say there's far more good than bad when it comes to the peace officers though.

Comment

AFAIK, you can't get a pistol permit in a state you don't live in. I had to jump through hoops to just transfer my permit when I moved to a different county within NY.
          Several states give non-resident licenses. Florida is one of them.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I see your point. Another agency that seems to be filled with useless dolts as peace officers is the NYS Office of Mental Health, their "Police Officers" are usually damn fools that take their job wayyyyy too seriously.

I would venture to say there's far more good than bad when it comes to the peace officers though.
            I generally think the peace officer statute was a step in the right direction. Basically it gave government employees with one or both arms tied behind thier back some recognition and authority to perform thier jobs. For the most part it seems to parallel State Protective services officers in Connecticut. I am pretty much of the mindset that security personnel working for colleges, transit systems, utilities or large facilties or public venues where public contact is a given should be covered by some type of statutory authority. Have stringent hiring practices, an abbrieviated academy ( 8 weeks), complete background checks and then form a state reserve with those officers. In times of natural disaster or other emergencies you have a ready, trained auxiliary force to assist local and state authorities. Also employee quality, pay and retention go up. Perception of the career field is improved....ok I'm dreaming again, so someone slap me!
            Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Transit Security in the Montreal Metro no longer have Police status. They used to be Special Constables under the Railway Act. This power was taken away many years ago. Montreal Police wants to take them over now. In the meantime they are Security Agents that have the powers to enforce a city by-law concerning security in the metro. They also have another power that people hired to enforce city by-laws have. They can arrest for "entrave". I can't think of the English word. It's when you refuse to id yourself to them. Obstruction, I think it is
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X