Armed accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed accounts

I've wanted to get into armed security for awhile, but the problem is being an underpaid security officer I cannot afford to take the NY state Armed Guard Training program out of pocket. I've had a NY State Pistol Permit since I was 18, but no military or police experience. Does anyone know of any companies that pay for the traing up front and then take it out of your check or even of any companies in NY that do armed security outside of Armored cars,Nuclear Plants, and some colleges?

Originally posted by The Lord of the Keys
    I've wanted to get into armed security for awhile, but the problem is being an underpaid security officer I cannot afford to take the NY state Armed Guard Training program out of pocket. I've had a NY State Pistol Permit since I was 18, but no military or police experience. Does anyone know of any companies that pay for the traing up front and then take it out of your check or even of any companies in NY that do armed security outside of Armored cars,Nuclear Plants, and some colleges?
    Good luck. You're not going to find anyone to pay for your class, let alone hire you as an armed guard in NY (especially the Rochester area) unless you're off-duty or former LEO or military.

Comment

That's kind of what I figured. It seems that the only way to get anywhere in security is to have military or law enforcement background.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lord of the Keys
        That's kind of what I figured. It seems that the only way to get anywhere in security is to have military or law enforcement background.
        No, the only way to get anywhere in security in NY is to have a military or law enforcement background.

This state sucks so bad, I can't wait to get out of here.

Comment

There are states that the armed private officer certificate are... 6 dollars. Others do not regulate the arming of private security at all. Definately, if you want to do armed work, investigate a change in locale.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            There are states that the armed private officer certificate are... 6 dollars. Others do not regulate the arming of private security at all. Definately, if you want to do armed work, investigate a change in locale.
            It's just under $2K to get the card here.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Comment

For my office, with Wackenhut, you are paid for the training time at Minimum wage (Overtime paid if you worked a 40hr/wk.), then you can have the armed guard license deducted from your check in small intervals by signing a payroll deduction form. This way you are not slammed with the full price on one check.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

These figures are off the top of my head but probably close. In Florida it is about $350.00 or so for the classes and the registration for "D" License (Security Officer) and "G" License (Statewide Firearm Permit, needed for armed position). If I remember right the "D" class is 16 hours and the "G" is 20+range. I can get exact numbers if someone is interested.

If your looking for armed/unarmed in the Ft. Walton Beach area send me an e-mail. We need a few SO's right now and will need several in the very near future. But you need at least your "D" license and be able to pass a government background check.

Comfortable cost of living compared to most northeast U.S. areas. Nice weather, beach, cetra, cetra.

Comment

Florida D class is 40 hours but you can take a 24 hour class and then take 16 hour refresher before you renew it. G class is 28 (?) hours.

MH892, I'm in Panama City, and my sis lives in FWB.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                    It's just under $2K to get the card here.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
                    WTF? $150 here for the state registration charge and maybe $50 for the classroom training. They must really be trying to discourage arming of security at that rate. Hardly anybody in our line of work can afford two thousand dollars just for a little certificate.
                    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

It sounds like the NY CCW permit. But, then, think about it. This is a state where any idiot can be a peace officer, and then carry under the protection of the state. That a mere mortal non-peace officer would dare carry a firearm... Need to discourage that.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        It sounds like the NY CCW permit. But, then, think about it. This is a state where any idiot can be a peace officer, and then carry under the protection of the state. That a mere mortal non-peace officer would dare carry a firearm... Need to discourage that.
                        Nah, it cost me around $500 for my pistol permit. Just out of curiousity, who told you that any idiot can be a peace officer? In order to be a peace officer, you need to be appointed by a government agency (town, village, county, etc) or otherwise be specially allowed by law to attend the training. They had town constables where I used to live that were peace officers - the only thing differenciating them from the city police was the title.

I personally don't understand why we have peace officers here. The training and powers are so similar to the police, it seems almost useless.

Comment

Here in California (another liberal state BTW) many companies offer the 2 day exposed weapon class free of charge to employees. You just have to pay for the permit, with is around $150.

Course getting hired to work an armed account is another thing. For obvious reasons a LOT of companies aren't going to hire a young guy with little job experience to wander around, say for example a mall, with a gun.

My class here in Los Angeles was full of young guys that looked and acted like a bunch of gang bangers and just wanted to carry semi-auto pistols. And NONE of them could shoot worth a dam. And the instructor passed every one.

Comment

Where in NY are you? If you are in the lower NYC/Westchester County area I would say, apply for your CT pistol permit and then get your Guard Card and "Blue Card" to work in CT. Whole thing should run you around $300 max, and then you can work any security job armed or unarmed in CT.
                            www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

I'm in upstate NY. To far from any border to do me any good. As a civilian I have a concealed carry permit, I just can't work armed without an armed guard license.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X