TMI Guard Caught Playing Video Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMI Guard Caught Playing Video Game

State officials are planning a review of Three Mile Island nuclear plant after a security guard was caught playing a video game on the job.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wgal/20060530/lo_wgal/9292337

That is yet another reason I do not wish to work at a nuclear facility. I love my video games. Get me bored and stationary enough and I'll play them without fail.
    I thought TMI meant "too much information".
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

The Department of Environmental Protection said the employee did not violate any rules. Guards are allowed to engage in mind-stimulating activities. But officials said they are concerned.
    So, they're allowed to do stuff to keep awake. Wow. I've never seen a company that lets you do that. They somehow expect you to sit at the desk and be awake through sheer willpower.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

If he wasn't violating any rules, it sounds like the inspector was looking for any excuse he could to instigate a state review. There was allegedly a number of incidents in question as well. There were several similar articles about the same incident that said things like "the guard was so engrossed with his video game " (implying irresponsibility) "he didn't even notice the inspector walk in".
      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        So, they're allowed to do stuff to keep awake. Wow. I've never seen a company that lets you do that. They somehow expect you to sit at the desk and be awake through sheer willpower.
        I am allowed to read newspapers, magazines or books on duty. Until a couple months ago we could watch DVDs but some personality conflicts resulted in that privilage being revoked. Of course, that doesn't stop some officers. I'm told by other plant employees who cover other shifts that some SOs are still watching movies and sleeping on post. I personally don't care to play that game. I can live without watching movies and I don't sleep on duty.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
          I am allowed to read newspapers, magazines or books on duty. Until a couple months ago we could watch DVDs but some personality conflicts resulted in that privilage being revoked. Of course, that doesn't stop some officers. I'm told by other plant employees who cover other shifts that some SOs are still watching movies and sleeping on post. I personally don't care to play that game. I can live without watching movies and I don't sleep on duty.
          We had a contract officer working one of the emergency department waiting rooms who got into an arguement with a visitor waiting for her son to be released over what was going to be on the TV in the room. The officer was watching one of those TV judge shows and the visitor changed the channel. The officer got way out of line, and ended up out of a job.
          "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

When I interviewed for nuclear security I was told that in order to keep alert they had internet access and cable tv for the officers to watch.

Comment

At my site the company is very strict about what we can look at/read. No magazines or reading material unless it's directly related to the company. No video games or surfing the internet as that's considered a distraction. No email unless it's directly company related.

And yes, I've gotten very good at briefly nodding off while pretending to stare at the CCTV monitors or writing the DSR!.

The worst is when I'm working the loading dock early in the mornings. The gate is open and the loading dock overlooks the countryside. You get the chill of the cool misty morning air. There's a freeway nearby so you get the droan of the early morning commuters. It's very peaceful. If I shut my eyes for even a second I'm off to la la land.

Thank god for coffee.

Comment

No TV, no internet, books and magazines are verbotten and you have to hide to smoke. Even post phone records are checked for length of time the phone is in use.
                Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by aka Bull
                  We had a contract officer working one of the emergency department waiting rooms who got into an arguement with a visitor waiting for her son to be released over what was going to be on the TV in the room.
                  When I am stationed in the ER's triage I usually watch whatever the visitors are watching. I'm in there from 9pm until I leave at 12am. So it's usually what I want to see anyway; the news.

I can't imagine telling a vistor what they are going to watch though. When people have asked me if they can change the channel I tell them I don't mind because the TV's there for them. I often let people know that they can feel free to change the channel if they're stuck watching cartoons after a child has already left the room.

Comment

Originally posted by LavianoTS386
                    When I am stationed in the ER's triage I usually watch whatever the visitors are watching. I'm in there from 9pm until I leave at 12am. So it's usually what I want to see anyway; the news.

I can't imagine telling a vistor what they are going to watch though. When people have asked me if they can change the channel I tell them I don't mind because the TV's there for them. I often let people know that they can feel free to change the channel if they're stuck watching cartoons after a child has already left the room.
                    This officer should have done the same, as the other officers know to do. The TV is there for the patients/visitors, not the officer.

About the only time an officer will enforce some control on the TV is when there are programs being watched that would be unsuitable for the young children in the room. At that point our officers find a way to politely suggest, due to the kids being present, that maybe something more suitable for them to watch could be found (we have the Disney Channel just for this reason). Usually there is no disagreement among the adults and the kids get decent TV.
                    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

It's common for officers to read, get on the Internet, study for school and so-forth at the different posts that I have worked. I don't have a problem with it as long as the officer is discreet and doesn't overlook problems because of being too engrossed with other activities.

Watching television or movies is questionable.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X