Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gotta love graveyard shift..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gotta love graveyard shift..

    actually i really do im more of a night person, but anyways heres a little quirk of a story that happened yesterday while i was on shift, a resident from the "low-rise low income housing" building i work in, came in around 0409, the resident stated to me somehow she got onto the free and got lost going the wrong way after getting a ride from a old man, note she does not have a car, and had to walk back, she stated she walked like 4 hours in the wrong direction, completely lost, when she came in she look like she was under the influence of some sort of narcotic, nothing wrong with getting lost, but i think after walking around for 4 hours, i might call a cab, she finally found a ride back into downtown slc, and was able to walk the rest of the way home, but go figure, any one else have any "strange" graveyard stories ?
    When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

  • #2
    That's what we refer to as a "street zombie" or a "burnout". The person's brain no longer functions properly, but there's not any punitive action to take against them if they don't commit a crime. I usually just point to the proper direction of the street and they take it.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

    Comment


    • #3
      About 14 years ago the former security director who was afraid I was going to take his job away from him tried to make me quit by doing things like sending me to work at the hotel by the airport & putting me on the overnight shift. (I had not worked overnights in about 5 years). The first night I'm patrolling down the hall & a stark naked prostitute comes running down the hall towards me asking for help. She was an escort & the guest had gotten rough with her. A month later it happened again. A while later I came upon a naked couple "doing it" in the kiddie pool. One thing about the overnight shift. You do get to see some interesting sights
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

      Comment


      • #4
        I perfer the night shift. Not as hot (this is Louisiana after all) and less traffic and a little more relaxed. I can do my job and not feel totally rushed like the dayshift.
        Hospital Security Officer

        Comment


        • #5
          As I noted in a previous thread, I am completely partial to graveyard shifts. Currently though... I work days... augh. This is only so I can complete my Reserve Academy. If I find I was not accepted to the academy, or upon my completion... It will likely be si-a-nora!
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

          Comment


          • #6
            I worked mids at the mall on and off for a few years. I had some fun on fri and sat night when the theater was open till 0200..

            I had a few B&E's that were good, had a DUI in the lot, and I backed the Sheriff on alarms a lot in the surrounding area..
            http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

            The FUTURE is MSP...

            Comment


            • #7
              Probably the strangest character I ever had to deal with on the night shift was this one little homeless guy who used to camp out in an alley behind one of the buildings I used to patrol. The orders for the property included removing people like him from the property.

              The first time I saw him he left, no problem. The second time he didn't want to leave. He just stood there arguing and getting loud, using a few choice curse words. One thing led to another and I ended up pulling out my o.c. spray can just for the sake of display and he backed away and left.
              Around a week later, I found him asleep in his little makeshift box again. Directly above him, on the back door of the building, was some graffiti written in dried blood "James... 1965-1988 ha ha ha?". I'm thinking o..kaaay.
              Then I start thinking, why are no other homeless people congregating back here like they do every place else? I decided to leave him alone. He was still breathing, so it's not like he was seriously trying to commit suicide or anything.

              The next day I spoke to the owner of the little grocery store where he camped out and was told it was ok for him to be there and to leave him alone (gasp). Well I heard the man and left him alone. Several weeks later I spoke to a security guard who had worked in the area quite a bit and was told the little man had AIDS and was severely delusional. Uh oh, big eye opener. I'm glad I never tried to handcuff him or lay hands on him.

              Four or five months went by and I found him hanging around there while the stores were open. He was screaming at people who weren't there and was running toward store patrons, making them peel tires to get away from him. He didn't want to leave when I told him to either. I called up 911 to try to get the cops to come out. Of course there were 20-something calls ahead of mine and they were working a chase or something so no cops were available to come out. Out came the pepper spray can and he ran away.

              Several weeks went by and I never saw him again. I found out later he went into one of his crazed fits and attacked another homeless man with a broken bottle and ended up being stabbed in the chest and died.
              "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

              Comment


              • #8
                This reminds me of the nice delusional lady who hid the butcher knife in her teddy bear.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

                "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                Comment


                • #9
                  Twenty five years ago, yea graveyard was fun and interesting. All kinds of life forms use to come around. I do not like graveyard these days. It's too hard on this old bodies metabolism. Well, not that old anyway. I am trying to get use to afternoons after six years of mostly days. Arg! But it beats graveyard I guess. I get more than enough things to do on afternoons. Both good and bad situations. But man does the old internal clock tend to take its toll sometimes.
                  My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

                  -Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

                  -It's just a job kid deal with it

                  -The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 1stWatch
                    That's what we refer to as a "street zombie" or a "burnout". The person's brain no longer functions properly, but there's not any punitive action to take against them if they don't commit a crime. I usually just point to the proper direction of the street and they take it.
                    The police are not as busy over here. When we have a situation like that, we call them in as a suspicious person, possibly under the influence. The police will check them out and arrest them if they find weapons or drugs.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mr. Security
                      The police are not as busy over here. When we have a situation like that, we call them in as a suspicious person, possibly under the influence. The police will check them out and arrest them if they find weapons or drugs.
                      They'll arrest here too, if they have the actual contraband on the person. If it's just some brain damaged subject with nothing on him/her though, the person just gets escorted off the property. If I need to pursue the matter past pointing at a specific direction, the subject can get patted down. He gets detained if there's a weapon. If there's just dope I smash it into the ground and get the subject to leave.
                      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We don't usually call the cops - we'll remove the subject ourselves. Under state law once we, as agents of the hospital, order a person off property and they refuse to leave then they are comitting criminal trespass. We can use reasonable force to stop a further trespass if they try to go anywhere else on property.

                        If we do get the PD involved the subject ends up leaving with a cite for criminal trespass.
                        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 1stWatch
                          They'll arrest here too, if they have the actual contraband on the person. If it's just some brain damaged subject with nothing on him/her though, the person just gets escorted off the property. If I need to pursue the matter past pointing at a specific direction, the subject can get patted down. He gets detained if there's a weapon. If there's just dope I smash it into the ground and get the subject to leave.
                          Texas permits Terry Stops for security personnel? Or is it search incident to private arrest?
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

                          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                            Texas permits Terry Stops for security personnel? Or is it search incident to private arrest?
                            A Terry frisk can be performed by a private citizen in Texas under the guise of "using non-deadly force in protection of the person". In other words, if the subject is making aggressive body movements along with his refusal to leave, we can get away with patting down the outer clothing to check for weapons. This is only if we feel that level of force is necessary for self defence. If one is found, police are normally called. The only problem with that is we can only really get away with arresting that person if he is displaying the weapon. If it is an illegal form of weapon, the weapon can be turned over to the police as a criminal instrument. If any drugs are found during the pat down, the person cannot be arrested for them because of the exclusionary rule since we didn't go searching for drugs in the first place. Nothing I know of says I can't smash or throw away the illegal substance though.

                            http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...00.htm#9.31.00
                            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 1stWatch
                              A Terry frisk can be performed by a private citizen in Texas under the guise of "using non-deadly force in protection of the person". In other words, if the subject is making aggressive body movements along with his refusal to leave, we can get away with patting down the outer clothing to check for weapons. This is only if we feel that level of force is necessary for self defence. If one is found, police are normally called. The only problem with that is we can only really get away with arresting that person if he is displaying the weapon. If it is an illegal form of weapon, the weapon can be turned over to the police as a criminal instrument. If any drugs are found during the pat down, the person cannot be arrested for them because of the exclusionary rule since we didn't go searching for drugs in the first place. Nothing I know of says I can't smash or throw away the illegal substance though.

                              http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...00.htm#9.31.00
                              While we may search for weapons as well, in the norm we won't unless we need to take physical action to prevent further trespass on property or the individual is making movements in a manner which may lead us to believe the individual may be carrying a weapon.

                              This is outside of our Emergency Department, where everyone entering is subject to search for weapons.

                              Should during any search we find suspected illegal drugs we will not return them to the individual but call the PD and turn this "found" contraband over to them for disposal.
                              "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X