X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sgtnewby
    replied
    k-9's

It's not an easy sell to administrators. I have found 25 succesfull hospital security k-9 units so far and I'm sure there are more out there, they're just hard to find. I do know the the Mall Of America in Bloomington Minnesota has their own bomb dogs. I went and met with them (only security in MN with their own dogs) and they have an impressive k-9 program.

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    I see K-9's at airports all the time, and now with Homeland Security taking interest in major traffic areas, such as Mall's.. I do wonder what this idea may pose to me!?!

Good thought and topic!

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby
    replied
    Hospital Security Canine

Any hospital security departments out there have canines? We're trying to start a k-9 program at our hospital and any information on "hospital security k-9 units" specifically would be very helpfull. Thanks!
    Last edited by sgtnewby; 07-23-2006, 01:43 AM. Reason: add more text

Leave a comment:

• dla4122
    replied
    I understand, thanks for asking him though.

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by dla4122
    And they are in Texas? Hmmm, at the prison I work at we are looking into do a Pen Pals program where we take dogs and assign them to inmates to do basic obedience and we then adopt them out. Kinda like a Shelter Dog thing. Once we get it off the ground I may see about contacting them to see if they would like to donate dogs to the program.
    I mentioned it to him and he said he would look around and inquire. I got the impression they want to keep all those dogs around the house (!), but since they tend to work with small "ma and pop" shelters their sources of getting dogs is various. He also suggested looking at semi-rural dog pounds that would rather donate animals than euthanize them.

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Oh, did I mention that besides having a dog I have FIVE (5) cats!
    I hope those five are properly licensed as armed security patrol officers, with authority for trespass eviction (or in their case instant offense adjudication)!

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    I moved into an old trixplex condo back in September. I own the ground floor apt. & their are 2 others above mine. The building is attached on both sides to rental unit trixplexs. They were built in the early 1900's & have no basements, just dirt crawl spaces. It's normal to have mice. We found 1 dead one in the dog's water dish in late September. Since then 0. The two people above me see them all the time. Oh, did I mention that besides having a dog I have FIVE (5) cats!

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Good deal there. I like dogs. I like cats too. Hell, I like most animals. There are mice in my apartment building. I use a live trap to safely catch the house mice, then relocate them. Since we relocate any mouse caught, the mouse population decreases dramatically as all the women mouse types are gone!

Leave a comment:

• dla4122
    replied
    Hmmm I have an Idea.....

And they are in Texas? Hmmm, at the prison I work at we are looking into do a Pen Pals program where we take dogs and assign them to inmates to do basic obedience and we then adopt them out. Kinda like a Shelter Dog thing. Once we get it off the ground I may see about contacting them to see if they would like to donate dogs to the program.

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied

for the love of God! Food bill must be HUGE!
    Yeah so is the bill for medications and grooming gear. They work with an animal shelter and bring those home who can't get adopted right away or who have health problems. They really could use some colleagues in that endeavor because it's starting to affect their health.

Leave a comment:

• dla4122
    replied
    Originally posted by 1stWatch
    The first-sergeant at my company and his wife keep more than 110 dogs in their home, ranging from very small to very large. Any troubles in the yard and they just open the door.

for the love of God! Food bill must be HUGE!

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    The first-sergeant at my company and his wife keep more than 110 dogs in their home, ranging from very small to very large. Any troubles in the yard and they just open the door.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    There's talk of K-9s with my own group. I like the idea. Detection dogs are extremely useful for dealing with drug properties. Protection dogs are also useful on drug properties, as well. You can also market drug dogs and explosive dogs to private schools, hospitals, etc. Not every police agency has time to dedicate a detection dog to a private entity when they want a sweep, no matter their "public safety" requirements.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ledgerwood
    replied
    We have dogs here at Boeing used solely for explosive detection. Not only are they very effective, but everyone loves them - good PR for both employees and customers. I'm assuming that if a dog saw anyone attacking its master it might attack, it is an animal after all and all the training in the world can't override instincts. Our dogs are not "trained" to be attack dogs and aren't used as such.

When I worked for the pd, there was a local security company called p.p.s. security. They used only k-9's. They were very small (only 2 patrol cars) and the owner and his wife were the officers. I don't know how the dogs were trained but I do know some local PD's would use this guy for building searches if it happend to be on one of his properties. I remember talking with both the owner and his wife and they were very nice people. The dog was approachable, unlike our k-9 at the PD. I, however, still felt slightly intimidated by the dog. If your company can afford it go for it. I feel it would be a wise investment - even if your training consits of just tracking and the dog never comes off the leash (attack dogs for security are very bad for business). I know, at least locally, that several of the clients this guy had loved the dog and he told me it boosted their business tremendously.

Leave a comment:

• nyspo
    replied

I have kids, so I don't want a gun. I actually have 4 dogs. This is just one of them.

nice dog ,but i have to say i love the sign...lol that is a great sign

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X