X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Congratulations. Unfortunately, we're going to have to cite you for looking and performing at 55 in a 70-year-old zone.
    Mr. Security and others, thanks. As for the citation, one I shall gladly accept.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Warnock
    .......As of Tuesday this week I hit the 70 mark and still whole, at least physically.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Congratulations. Unfortunately, we're going to have to cite you for looking and performing at 55 in a 70-year-old zone.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    I still tie my shoe laces the same way taught in AP/SP/SF Academy. When tying strings on low quarter shoes, running shoes and the like, double knot the laces. We were told of a NYC Police Detective chasing a bad guy with weapon drawn. Single tied lace came loose and the detective tripped, fell and struck his head, knocked cold....
    Another trick: Wear waxed laces. I used to have the same problem Bill described until I switched to waxed. No problems now.

Leave a comment:

• ycaso77
    replied
    I still tie my shoe laces the same way taught in AP/SP/SF Academy. When tying strings on low quarter shoes, running shoes and the like, double knot the laces. We were told of a NYC Police Detective chasing a bad guy with weapon drawn. Single tied lace came loose and the detective tripped, fell and struck his head, knocked cold. Bad guy came back, shot the detective in the head three times and left the weapon at the scene. From June 1968 to this very date, my laces have been double knotted.
    I've had my share of foot chases and a partner stopping to retie a shoe. Thinking partner was still with me, caught subject, and no partner. I never did like to have it hanging out! As a supervisor, when you work with me or for me, you WILL double knot your laces, no ifs, ands or buts!
    As of Tuesday this week I hit the 70 mark and still whole, at least physically.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    SP Academy was the same place I learned the ladder lacing, and still double knot and tuck to this day also. Congratulations on the good health!

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    The boots I wear are zipper paraboots. I laced them, knotted them, and haven't touched the laces in the last year i've had them. They stay tight, and have not given me any problems since I purchased them in January 2005.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    CONGRADULATIONS!! One of my best Officers retired in his mid 70's. He worked the overnight shift for about 20 years. I can only remember a hand full of times when he had to call in the middle of the night for advice. He was able to handle properly almost every situation. In the 5 years that he has retired I'm woken up about once a week advising the younger guys!

I turned 50 in March. Have been working hotel security since I was 21. Another 20 years to catch up to you!!

Have a wonderful day.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by ycaso77
    I've always ladder laced my boots, a holdover from my air force days. Easy to adjust and provides plenty of support. You start at the bottom eyelet and put both ends in from the outside and out the opposite hole- a double lace at the bottom. Then you put each lace in the eyelet directly above it. Take each lace and run it across and under the opposite lace. Repeat until you reach the top and knot as you wish. Looks nice and is wonderful support for the ankle and easy to adjust. Looks like a ladder if you do it correctly and is really great with zip up boots.
    I still tie my shoe laces the same way taught in AP/SP/SF Academy. When tying strings on low quarter shoes, running shoes and the like, double knot the laces. We were told of a NYC Police Detective chasing a bad guy with weapon drawn. Single tied lace came loose and the detective tripped, fell and struck his head, knocked cold. Bad guy came back, shot the detective in the head three times and left the weapon at the scene. From June 1968 to this very date, my laces have been double knotted.
    I've had my share of foot chases and a partner stopping to retie a shoe. Thinking partner was still with me, caught subject, and no partner. I never did like to have it hanging out! As a supervisor, when you work with me or for me, you WILL double knot your laces, no ifs, ands or buts!
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• ycaso77
    replied
    I've always ladder laced my boots, a holdover from my air force days. Easy to adjust and provides plenty of support. You start at the bottom eyelet and put both ends in from the outside and out the opposite hole- a double lace at the bottom. Then you put each lace in the eyelet directly above it. Take each lace and run it across and under the opposite lace. Repeat until you reach the top and knot as you wish. Looks nice and is wonderful support for the ankle and easy to adjust. Looks like a ladder if you do it correctly and is really great with zip up boots.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    I do it just the way the Army taught me, left over right all the way up then tucked in to keep them from snagging anything.

Leave a comment:

• wjohnc
    started a topic Lacing your boots

Lacing your boots

Years and years ago my grandfather, a forever-long fisherman and outdoorsman, taught me how to lace boots in at least two ways that are different than 'normal'.

One way is completely lost to me, but a memory fragment remains of the other. The laces didn't cross over each other at every point, only a couple of times. Doing this, he said, then pulling on the laces at the top of the boot, would let you tighten the entire lace structure on the boot with one simple tug. And, according to him (and part of that memory fragment), it would never loosen.

I wish I could remember more of his teaching. I walk about a mile for each hour on shift, and I find my foot swells and retreats many times in a shift, necessitating a loosening or tightening of my boot. If there was a way to do this in seconds, versus a minute or more screwin' aroung tying or untying each and every lace I'd be mighty grateful.

Anybody have any input on this?

wjohnc

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X