Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Watchdog
    • Sep 2005

Armed guards equipment/ body armor

I will soon be going from unarmed to armed security. I am already setting up a duty belt for myself using mostly Bianchi brands; belt, holster, pouches, etc.
    I am also looking at body armor. Who here wears bullet proof vests and what do you recommend for price, concealment, comfort in hot weather and things like that? I'm thinking of a Level II vest.
    I have been going mostly to local police uniform/equipment shops for my security gear and wondered if I should go with what they recommend for body armor and have the right one fitted for me right there or shop online for something.
  • N. A. Corbier
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Watchdog
    I will soon be going from unarmed to armed security. I am already setting up a duty belt for myself using mostly Bianchi brands; belt, holster, pouches, etc.
    I am also looking at body armor. Who here wears bullet proof vests and what do you recommend for price, concealment, comfort in hot weather and things like that? I'm thinking of a Level II vest.
    I have been going mostly to local police uniform/equipment shops for my security gear and wondered if I should go with what they recommend for body armor and have the right one fitted for me right there or shop online for something.
    First, look up the ammunition you will be carrying on the NIJ Body Armor threat matrix. Make sure that your vest will defeat your own weapon, there is a high likelyhood that sometime during your career you may be disarmed and shot with your own weapon. Law Enforcement and Security Officers face this threat, and their agencies would like them to survive it.

Second, obviously, all body armor rated Level II or Level IIIA will stop what they say it will. The cheaper armor is heavier, and hotter. The best suggestion I can give is wear armor that you will wear - if it means wearing Safariland Zero G Gold Level, then spend the cash. Your paying for materials to make it lighter, and strap design to make it fit better.

I'd definately be fitted for armor. Once you know your armor measurements, you can buy better/replacement vests online, but till then... Have someone professionally fit you for your armor. Wear your full duty rig and uniform, because that's what you'll be wearing with the armor on.

And lastly, look into a Under Armor or the Wal-Mart subsitute "starter" moisture wicking shirt. It helps with the fact your wearing a portable oven.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• Bill Warnock
      • Feb 2005

Personal Body Armor

The system of testing body armor is broken and Department of Homeland Security is not about to fix it or itself. US Army NATICK?s Soldier Center lost the Test & Evaluation mission for law enforcement. DHS was supposed to pick that up as part of its Research & Development efforts but has yet to do it. It is almost as if DHS is marking time waiting for the next big one so that they can acquire more power and clout...at our expense. Second Chance has been on the edge for some time since switching from Dupont?s Kevlar. In addition to going bankrupt, some of the Second Chance leadership may be going to jail for falsifying test data.
      Therefore, if body-armor has been issued, what National Institute for Standards and Testing approved and certified ballistics laboratory conducted verification tests? What are the NIJ 0101.04 levels of protection? WARNING: Vests offering only NIJ 0101.04 levels of protection offer no, as in none, puncture protection.

Does the vest provide puncture (knife or spike) protection and fully meet the H.P. White Laboratory 0400.02 standard or NIJ stab certification 0115.00? WARNING: Vests offering only NIJ stab certification 0115.00 offer no, as in none, ballistic protection.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
        The system of testing body armor is broken and Department of Homeland Security is not about to fix it or itself. US Army NATICK?s Soldier Center lost the Test & Evaluation mission for law enforcement. DHS was supposed to pick that up as part of its Research & Development efforts but has yet to do it. It is almost as if DHS is marking time waiting for the next big one so that they can acquire more power and clout...at our expense. Second Chance has been on the edge for some time since switching from Dupont?s Kevlar. In addition to going bankrupt, some of the Second Chance leadership may be going to jail for falsifying test data.
        Therefore, if body-armor has been issued, what National Institute for Standards and Testing approved and certified ballistics laboratory conducted verification tests? What are the NIJ 0101.04 levels of protection? WARNING: Vests offering only NIJ 0101.04 levels of protection offer no, as in none, puncture protection.

Does the vest provide puncture (knife or spike) protection and fully meet the H.P. White Laboratory 0400.02 standard or NIJ stab certification 0115.00? WARNING: Vests offering only NIJ stab certification 0115.00 offer no, as in none, ballistic protection.

And the only vest that I know of that will pass 0115.00 AND NIJ 0101.04 plus the Cali Ice Pick Test is that Safariland Turtleskin vest. I haven't hefted one, but its GOTTA be heavy to defeat a shiv and ballistic weapons.

BTW, these are all very good points. There is a new NIJ standard, I do not remember the number, designed to supplment 0101.04. I'm sure Bill has the standard. NIJ is hedging their bets by stating that if your armor is not certified to the new standard, there's nothing wrong with it.

However, Bill, other than the Zylon incident, what negatives have been reported on the non-kevlars, such as Spectra-*, etc? I am looking into buying vests, vests that won't break a budget, and vests that people will actually wear.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• Bill Warnock
          • Feb 2005

Body Armor

N.A. I was going to look into this matter at sometime in the future. Your query has made the future now! I'll find out what I can. Now that NATICK is out of the picture, that should make the search both interesting and a challenge.
          Warm regards,
          Bill

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
            N.A. I was going to look into this matter at sometime in the future. Your query has made the future now! I'll find out what I can. Now that NATICK is out of the picture, that should make the search both interesting and a challenge.
            Warm regards,
            Bill
            Good luck getting information out of NIJ. They seem to sugar coat EVERYTHING.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...