Investigations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigations

An incident last night makes me ask the following question. How many of us are involved in Investigating crime after it happens, not just observing & reporting or reacting to it as it happens?

I had a guest "claim" that a laptop computer & digital camera were stolen from his room sometime between when he went out in the morning & when he came back in the evening. My investigation consisted of checking the connecting door to the room beside, making sure that the door to the room closed properly & by itself when let go. Looking for scratches on or around the lock's latch & auditing the lock to see what key cards had been used & who had used them. I then questioned the Night Maid who had been to the room last to do the turn down. I called the police. The Constable took the guest's name, address, a description of what he claimed was taken. And that's it! He called the police station, got a report number & told the guest to give it to his insurance company.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Anything that requires a basic investigation (depositions, statements, basic follow-up, etc.) is generally taken care of by the patrol officer taking the report. Anything more involved gets forwarded to Investigations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
      Anything that requires a basic investigation (depositions, statements, basic follow-up, etc.) is generally taken care of by the patrol officer taking the report. Anything more involved gets forwarded to Investigations.
      Except that this cop didn't look for any sign of a break in. Things had been touched to remove the items. He didn't take anything for fingerprinting etc. I don't know where you are from but in Montreal unless the theft is over $5000.00 it does not get passed onto an investigator.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

follow up reports :P
        When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

Comment

That's all that's needed. The insurance company will pay for the laptop, and the patrol officer knows that he's not going to get anything useful in there.

Our SOP when dealing with Crimes Against Property was to seal the area off, do a protective sweep, and call the police. If they police want to investigate it, they can. If they decline, that's fine too.

Again, Protection vs. Enforcement. My job is protection. Their job is enforcement. At some points in time, protecting a client's assets may include enforcing the law. But, in an already happened after the fact case, its the police's job to enforce the theft law.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

We do basic investigation, such as reviewing CCTV files, gathering evidence and witnesses. Then it's up to the client to decide whether or not to file a complaint with the police. Generally, any punitive action is handled in-house up to and including termination. Publicizing an incident is not what most clients want.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

We are about the same, if it is a matter than can be dealt with inhouse we investigate. I also review and investigate accidents on the property for the safety commitee.

Comment

In crimes against property we will do the initial investigation of the crime and then determine from the victim if they wish to have it reported to the local police. If they want police involvement we contact the PD and request they respond.

If we have evidence of crime against a person we will usually make the call to involve the police ourselves.

These are for acts committed on our property. Anyone seeking treatment for a medical condition that may be the result of criminal action automatically triggers the reporting requirement to the police by medical personnel.

Other times that we contact the PD at our discrestion is for contraband we have taken at our emergency department, either recovered during the search of patients brought in by ambulance who are placed on security watches (requiring a search of the person/property for dangerous weapons, etc) or confiscated at our metal detector post (usually illegal weapons, drugs, or paraphenalia).
                "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                  Except that this cop didn't look for any sign of a break in. Things had been touched to remove the items. He didn't take anything for fingerprinting etc. I don't know where you are from but in Montreal unless the theft is over $5000.00 it does not get passed onto an investigator.
                  We can pass whatever we want onto the Investigator, they work for us. We rarely call the police. The only time we call is if someone needs to be arrested or the victim wants an official police report.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X