• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugh i have OC training coming up

im REALLY EXCITED... lol not really i dont want to be sprayed in the face

but per company regs we get to do OC training and ASP traing june 17th

i dont want to cry i dont want my eyes to burn
    When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

I have been sprayed 3 times intentionaly (sp) Once in the Marines, once for the Sheriffs Dept in MI and once for a company I worked for. It sucks but the best thing about it is you know what to expect. I have been unintenionaly (sp) sprayed numerous times.

Are the combining the 2 training sessions? If so this is good because usually they spray you and make you complete somesort of Baton Course in the Marines we did a gauntlet where we had to do different Baton strikes and blocks than take down a guy in a Redman suit. (He kicked my butt! lol)

Comment

yes its a combined training
      When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

Comment

Remember. If it gets too much, draw your (red gun) weapon and order the redman suit back. If he keeps coming, start screaming "BANG BANG BANG."

Yes, I'm serious. Articulate that the OC affects you to the point you can't keep control of your weapon. This visual articulation may save you if you are ever sprayed in the field, and have to defend your weapon with (upto) deadly force. If you can control your weapon and the suspect, great. If not... Don't hestiate to blow the guy away.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security

Are the combining the 2 training sessions? If so this is good because usually they spray you and make you complete somesort of Baton Course in the Marines we did a gauntlet where we had to do different Baton strikes and blocks than take down a guy in a Redman suit. (He kicked my butt! lol)
          GCMC Security
          That brings back some painful memories. I took that course, the Marine Armed Sentry school down in Norfolk , VA. You're smoked from the pepper spray, even more smoked from the gauntlet, and just to keep you on your toes, RedMan pulls no punches and goes full-tilt.

I took a butt-kicking on that one as well (broke two front teeth and a hairline rib fracture), but the combination training was some of the best I've ever had. Always combine pepper and baton for culmination training/testing, it gives the Officer real experience and good perspective.

Comment

Bring a snorkel so you can keep your head underwater in the bucket!

My bucket was made in China!

And I too have have ben sprayed a few times. Once in the Marines, once at a bar outside LeJeune (NOT MY FAULT!!! Just helping a fellow Marine out)
            once for a company and then when I became an instructor.

Of all the times, the Marines was the biggest ass kicker.
            www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

I've done the sparring thing with the room misted with pepper spray, but never after receiving a direct hit to the face. In either case it takes tremendous cardiovascular conditioning to be able to hold up for an instant.
              "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

I hate OC training! My last time (for my current job) was my 3rd certification in OC (no, they never want to accept a prior cert). You take the spray in the face (no closing your eyes allowed), then use several strikes on the suspect (holding the kick bag), handcuff him and find the red gun on the ground and cover your "suspect".

Felt like it took a month to get through it so I could hit the water buckets!
                "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

I don't see the value in submitting to OC training in the form of having it sprayed in my face. I don't need to place my hand on a hot stove to know that it hurts. If the argument is that you need to still be able to function after being sprayed, then just doing it every year isn't necessarily going to ensure that you can handle it.

I prefer OC training that focuses on the do's and don'ts of using it, coupled with using inert training canisters to hone one's aim and methods. If it were me, I would get a doctor's note exempting me from being deliberately sprayed with it.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    I don't see the value in submitting to OC training in the form of having it sprayed in my face. I don't need to place my hand on a hot stove to know that it hurts. If the argument is that you need to still be able to function after being sprayed, then just doing it every year isn't necessarily going to ensure that you can handle it.

I prefer OC training that focuses on the do's and don'ts of using it, coupled with using inert training canisters to hone one's aim and methods. If it were me, I would get a doctor's note exempting me from being deliberately sprayed with it.
                    Mr. Security I think the main reason they have this realistic training and what it feels like to be struck with OC is to demonstrate to the user the potential risks of using OC. I found it not only debilitating but disorienting as well. The instructor and his assistant were able to put me down on the matt and while doing so remove my duty weapon and night stick. Another instructor was able to render assistance and remove much of the agent from my face. It was emphasized the matt was not concrete and removal of weapons could have resulted in the loss of my life and perhaps the lives of others. One must be aware of their surroundings and the type of weather and movement of wind even light to moderate winds. It causes you to pause and think out your course of action.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

Comment

Luckily the recertification process doesn't require getting sprayed again, classroom and test only.

I had to take a 5 second ride from the Taser too. I call it "riding the lightning". Not a ride I want to take again, but I would over getting OCed again.

Time and time again when asked why taking the spray, or whatever, is necessary it seems the answer is nearly the same - "this way you know what you're doing to the person and what they're feeling, as well as the credibility it gives you in court". Words to that effect.
                      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by aka Bull
                        Time and time again when asked why taking the spray, or whatever, is necessary it seems the answer is nearly the same - "this way you know what you're doing to the person and what they're feeling, as well as the credibility it gives you in court". Words to that effect.
                        That's what I was waiting for someone to post. That has always been a peeve about this sort of training. I have nothing against training to use the tools you carry regularly. My problem is with the excuses that are offered to justify what would seem to be some sort of macho, hazing, right of passage exercise. Don't get me wrong. I went through the gas chamber when I served in the Army. Thing is, I feel the same way about the OC training and Tazer training as I did about the tear gas chamber. To me it isn't necessary to be sprayed in the face or zaped by the tazer to understand that it will afect certain people certain ways. Show me the films of some dude built like a linebacker being dropped by a Tazer and I'm good to go. I can take your word for it. There is no reason to electrify me to get the point across. Same with the OC. As a corrections officer I've been accidently sprayed with OC and even been in a cellblock where cells were cleared and the air was heavy with pepper. So I'm not unfamiliar with the effects. I know that it's all temporary and you can continue to function through the pain. At teh prison the officers who transported prisoners for court appearances had to certify on a kidney shock belt which wrapped around an inmates waist and delivered a Tazer like shock when activated. To be certified on the belt the officers had to put the belt on and be shocked. I saw the films and, like the Tazer, it was several minutes of big guys being dropped to the mat. Point taken. I personally don't need to be zapped to believe the thing works.
                        Of course, come time to go to the firing range it was a completely different story. Here we were being told that the pistols, rifles and shotguns were designed to stop escaping inmates but, lucky for us, we weren't required to be shot with the bullets we carried. We never had to line up, take a round of .38 cal hollowpoint to the gut and then try to defend against an assault. You never had cadets running across the range as instructors fired .223 rounds from the Mini 14 rifles to demonstrate how fast you could drop a man. We took the instructors word for it and qualified with the weapons by punching holes in paper targets, not each other.
                        I mean, hey, if you get off on spraying people with OC, zapping them with stun belts or making them strip naked and perform carnel acts on farm animals to be part of your club that's cool but I can do the job without playing these sadistic reindeer games. I just don't see the point.
                        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

EMTGuard, I'm not saying I agree with the answer usually given, just that it was the answer given. I've gone through these types of training in several agencies and the old gas chamber back in my USAF days - and hated them all.

I have thought, at times, that maybe this is also their way of making us respect the use of less-than-deadly force and to give us pause not to act wrecklessly. Yet we see reports of excessive force often enough. Many of us have probably witnessed them in person - I have. I don't like pulling off an officer who has lost his sense of control and goes very close to, or over, the line. It just doesn't end up being good for any of us.

I guess long and short of it is - if we want the job we put up with what our employer requires of us. Most likely not the first or last thing we'll disagree with our employer over as we get into the job deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                            ..... Show me the films of some dude built like a linebacker being dropped by a Tazer and I'm good to go. I can take your word for it. There is no reason to electrify me to get the point across. Same with the OC....
                            Exactly. When I discharged all of my OC canisters into the toilet because I don't carry it anymore, the residual molecules floating in the air was enough to choke me. I got the point. There is no doubt in my mind that I would be totally incapacitated with a direct shot to the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                              Mr. Security I think the main reason they have this realistic training and what it feels like to be struck with OC is to demonstrate to the user the potential risks of using OC. I found it not only debilitating but disorienting as well. The instructor and his assistant were able to put me down on the matt and while doing so remove my duty weapon and night stick.....
                              I think you're right about why they do it. I just think it's not necessary for all individuals. Just the ones that aren't convinced after seeing the effect on someone else.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X