Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Union's TV Spot Creates Controversy

Watch the Video

The controversial 30-second spot aired during local prime-time programming this week. The original commercial has been replaced now with a tamer commercial that leaves out some controversial scenes.

The commercial is set in a TV-news reality format and creates the impression that Officer Steve Slaton, who left the San Diego Police Department for a higher-paying job with an agency outside of the county, was fatally shot. The commercial cost the Police Officers Association $4,000 to produce and $41,000 to air on several local television stations, which are now refusing further placements.

"I find the ad offensive," San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders said. "I find it inflammatory, and I think it should be -- or it is -- offensive to the men and women who serve on our streets."

POA President Bill Nemec conceded to NBC 7/39 that spot is "melodramatic" and "right at the edge."

"Is it over the top?" said Nemec. "You know, I'm going to leave that up to the viewer."

Nemec said that the union wanted to provoke reaction in order to focus attention on the growing exodus of officers from the San Diego police force.

"What we hope is generated after that is, 'Why are these officers leaving?' " Nemec said.

Negative reaction has prompted the POA to come up with a new, sanitized commercial that looks like a movie trailer. The new spot capitalizes on the controversy and drives viewers to a union Web site.

"This way you can make the choice," said Nemec. "You go to our Web site, you'll be able to watch the commercial, judge for yourself."

NBC 7/39's salespeople said that they and their counterparts at other stations would be taking a close look at the new version before the POA can buy more airtime.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

My my, this San Diego mayor sounds an awful lot like the Dallas mayor. She made some comment to the media a couple of years ago that went something like, "I don't understand why all these cops are complaining about their jobs. I mean really, their jobs are less dangerous than that of a city sanitation worker."
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
      My my, this San Diego mayor sounds an awful lot like the Dallas mayor. She made some comment to the media a couple of years ago that went something like, "I don't understand why all these cops are complaining about their jobs. I mean really, their jobs are less dangerous than that of a city sanitation worker."
      Give the mayor the gun, badge and uniform then. Why pay cops to do the work.
      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by aka Bull
        Give the mayor the gun, badge and uniform then. Why pay cops to do the work.
        They offered that to her actually. She has yet to accept it. She sure didn't look happy when she was standing 20 feet away from me at the last big funeral for a Dallas cop.
        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
          They offered that to her actually. She has yet to accept it. She sure didn't look happy when she was standing 20 feet away from me at the last big funeral for a Dallas cop.
          Good, I hope she can never look an officer in the face. She's a disgrace (and unfortunately a type I've encountered before). She probably thinks all criminals are just misguided and can be reformed by using tender care and gentle understanding.

Wonder how'd she feel if she ended up being the victim of a serious crime?

Sorry, bit of a rant on my part - brings back some unpleasant memories.
          "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

She is the type of mayor who will jump up and down screaming if her house gets broken into, or for that matter if people parade in front of her home with profane signs (a true story). She also screams for tougher enforcement of misdemeanors and even created stupid little misdemeanors that create more problems such as ticketing homeless panhandlers who can't pay the ticket anyway since they don't have jobs (real no-brainer hm). Even with those demands, she is consistently anti-police. The police department's step raise program was eliminated under her iron grip of rule. There was a proposal to change the city's form of government to "strong mayor", which would have given her and her alone the authority to hire and fire the police and fire chiefs and all the city officials. She is the type of mayor who will attend a funeral like that and then go on a rant the very next week about what a poor job they are doing. In short, she views police in a condescending fashion. Actually she views everybody in a condescending fashion. Hey I think I remember a lady politician who acts the same way. I just wonder when she is going to get her Rodham removed.

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
              "I find the ad offensive," San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders said. "I find it inflammatory, and I think it should be -- or it is -- offensive to the men and women who serve on our streets."
              But of course you do Jerry...You were personally named in it, and you're a pol.

I have a friend at SDPD...It's been that way for years, and doesn't look to get better- except for her, she's leaving.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X