Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Claims City Official Assaulted Him

Los Angeles, CA:
    Hotel security guard Amilcar Sanchez is claiming city councilwoman Janice Hahn assaulted him after she led a group of 75 disgruntled laid-off workers into the facility he was guarding. A video included with the article shows the councilwoman attempting to force her way past the guard. She denies any wrongdoing during the incident.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9235187/deta...ss=la&psp=news
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

What's the standard for battery in California? In Florida, she's guilty of misdemeanor battery. Come June 1st, Felony Battery on a Licensed Security Officer.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I would have to read up on the statutes, but I believe assault and battery are one and the same there. It seems to be a simple assault and also, if the assembly is deemed unlawful, unlawful assembly and rioting.
      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        What's the standard for battery in California? In Florida, she's guilty of misdemeanor battery. Come June 1st, Felony Battery on a Licensed Security Officer.
        In California, Assault and Battery are two separate charges. Assault is a lesser-included offense of the crime of Battery, so you can only charge a person with Assault or Battery, but not both. I watched the video and it appeared that Hahn did, indeed, batter the security guard but good luck getting any charges filed.

Even if Hahn were not a politician, it is difficult to get the LA County DA to file battery charges unless the victim had serious injuries. In this case though the DA might prosecute just to show that even elected officials are not above the law, but even then I doubt this case will ever see the inside of a courtroom. Some sort of settlement will be reached.

Comment

Working hotel security you'd think I'd automatically be on the guard's side. Guess what? I'm not sure! In Canada to be a crime the action has to have criminal intent. From the short clip I see it seems to me that she might be right, the people behind her pushed her into him, she did not attack.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I'm not fully familiar with the case, but isn't it considered at least improper for a city official to be leading a march with disgruntled employees? Conflict of interest or something?

Comment

No conflict I can see. She's "standing up for their rights" against the "evil corporate empire."

Oh, wait, you mean stuff like, "unlawful assembly," and stuff like that? Those don't apply.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I don't see any assault in the video. In fact, if there were an assault, I would think that the News Video would highlight the point where he was assaulted. Although I don't see any criminal activity, this official deserves a public reprimand and an order to apologize to the guard for her role in the incident.

BTW, the guard looked and acted very professional, IMO.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X