Detex Watchman broke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detex Watchman broke.

Last week our Detex Watchman broke but it didn't get sent in until this week (it wouldn't beep). Well while doing full rounds today (we have a partial set where we don't check most doors during the weekday when everyone is here but still must pass through the area) and I noticed I was checking a lot more doors than I usually do. I also was not obsessing about whether or not I scanned the stations when I went by them (like thinking you left the oven on or door unlocked). We are supposed to log our start time and stop time of doing rounds in our logs but I don't do them like everyone else. I spread my rounds throughout the day, randomized for pattern and time (as it should be). The only way to track us is by the details we log, like an unlocked door to say we were there then. I just haven't been logging it.

I understand why we have these things though. Several of the guys are lazy and need that re-enforcement. There is also the proof that we were in a certain area at a certain time and in a liability based society you need that. But I found that not having that re-enforcement forced me to do more work, and I enjoyed it more (I like rounds okay, don't shoot me). I just like having more freedom in my job, even if it's just temporary.

That's it. Just felt like bringing it up. Oh and by the way, have a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Our wand is broken as well. I have noticed that I get a lot more work done without it. I have more time to contact passengers, check vehicles, walk platforms, etc...

With it it's just, drive in, hit points, drive out, get to next station, drive in, hit points, etc...
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I think Guard Tour Management systems suck. Just search, and you'll see my feelings on them. Instead of putting a PIPE on you, a Detex, just stick a GPS transmitter in your mobile patrol vehicle, and a cellular or radio with GPS location software on you.

There's no need to worry about you "hitting clock stations," because they call up where you are at any point in the shift.

I've seen some literature actually suggesting either passive proxim sensors everywhere to detect where the guards are in a building, or just a nokia cell phone running GPS and Proxim software/hardware.

Passively monitoring where you are is superior to you actively hitting keys, because you'll be focused on your job and not being a monkey that is trained to hit keys.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

We had a Morse Watchman system and it was terrible! The wand was always broken. If you send it in to Morse Watchman, they will send a loaner out and you send them your wand.

We now have this

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/pro...-System/Detail

Its equally a POS. The wand had a blue LED that lights up when you make contact with a point. The thing is it lets you hit the same point twice or more. The Morse system wouldnt let you hit a point twice. This system also doesnt tell you what you missed, the Morse one did.

Uniforms and Accessories Warehouse sells junk, plain and simple. LED lightbars that burn out, guard tour systems that suck, etc.

The other confusing thing is that our mall still has the Morse points up as well as the new ones. It can confuse the new guys sometimes as the tour was reconfigured when we went with the UAW one.

My mall uses the tours for stupid reasons. My current tour takes me 1.5-2 hours to complete. Unreal! Thats time I am not watching cameras or anything else.
        "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

We had a Morse Watchman system and it was terrible! The wand was always broken. If you send it in to Morse Watchman, they will send a loaner out and you send them your wand.

We now have this

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/pro...-System/Detail

Its equally a POS. The wand had a blue LED that lights up when you make contact with a point. The thing is it lets you hit the same point twice or more. The Morse system wouldnt let you hit a point twice. This system also doesnt tell you what you missed, the Morse one did.

Uniforms and Accessories Warehouse sells junk, plain and simple. LED lightbars that burn out, guard tour systems that suck, etc.

The other confusing thing is that our mall still has the Morse points up as well as the new ones. It can confuse the new guys sometimes as the tour was reconfigured when we went with the UAW one.

My mall uses the tours for stupid reasons. My current tour takes me 1.5-2 hours to complete. Unreal! Thats time I am not watching cameras or anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
            Same here. Our previous system used tinted bar code strips that worked a lot like the Detex system and the system before that had a stamped key that was chained to a metal box mounted to the wall. we would insert the key and twist to get the time and station stamped onto a paper disk. About 1/2 of the bar code strips are still up and occasionally I find a key box with key still in it.
            Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

The detex is broken at one of my jobs too lol. I do find it to be a PIA. And yes, I do think guards actually get more done without them. Some guys at my site just hit the strip and won't check any doors. If someone's going to slack off they're going to do it no matter what, so why inconvenience the rest of us by making us hit a stupid detex.
              If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

I am split on this issue to a large extent. When I train new officers on doing patrols, I tell them that if all they do is hit the wand points, they have done a poor patrol.

The wands just ensure that a basic tour was done and that the officer has visited enough areas where they couldn't help but to notice most major security issues.

I realize that it is somewhat hedging your bet. You are probably getting a worse tour than you might ordinarily get from a good officer, but you are getting a better tour out of a poor officer.

The amount of things that are reported by officers on patrol suggest to me that, at least in my present job, that officers are doing more than merely hitting the points. However, in past jobs, had there not been a guard tour system in place, the guards would have done even less than they were already doing.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                  I am split on this issue to a large extent. When I train new officers on doing patrols, I tell them that if all they do is hit the wand points, they have done a poor patrol.

The wands just ensure that a basic tour was done and that the officer has visited enough areas where they couldn't help but to notice most major security issues.

I realize that it is somewhat hedging your bet. You are probably getting a worse tour than you might ordinarily get from a good officer, but you are getting a better tour out of a poor officer.

The amount of things that are reported by officers on patrol suggest to me that, at least in my present job, that officers are doing more than merely hitting the points. However, in past jobs, had there not been a guard tour system in place, the guards would have done even less than they were already doing.
                  I will say that for the most part the issues of guards not doing things are symptomatic of larger issues that are given a band aid fix with a detex clock . These issues are to include lack of training ,and complacency due to low wages and even lower hiring standards . Whether your using the ancient favor flav clock or the modern electronic wands the Detex systems do what they are designed to do, to ensure an active guard who is not sleeping or hiding in a corner and not doing nothing or to at least document it . While there are no real consequences in security due to the high turn over rate and people will just float from site to site then to company to company just passing guards around like a joint at Woodstock. With a liveable wage , and using better hiring standards you should be able to weed out the dead weight that now represents the image of security guards .
                  Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                  Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Detex Pro & Con

Yeah, I have a love/hate opinion of the wand too. It shows the guard is awake and on site (which is how we prove it when we catch them sleeping or going off site - huge time caps in thier detex record). It even saved me once - someone accused me of not checking a building that had doors left open on it - I told the boss the approx. times I remembered being there, then told her to pull my DAR and the detex record. Never heard another word about it.

But, as I've tried to explain to clients, it doesn't show that the security officer rattled any doors, looked at the windows, checked for safety hazards - only their written logs and reports show me that. Now, clever guards can get pretty good at faking a log, but the two combined (with an on-site manager that actually looks at both) will usually catch the bad ones sooner...
                    Last edited by CondoGuard; 11-28-2009, 06:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Personally, I dont think you should need a wand to ensure your officers are doing patrols. If getting the work done is a worry, find a new guard.
                      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Like anything else, guard tour systems can be a useful tool as a part of an overall security security management program, but they are not a solution in themselves and not appropriate for every site.

I did a short article on guard tour systems a couple of months ago.
                        Michael A. Silva
                        Silva Consultants

Comment

Originally posted by Lawson View Post
                          Personally, I dont think you should need a wand to ensure your officers are doing patrols. If getting the work done is a worry, find a new guard.
                          Good luck with that in our company.

When I was a Supervisor, I caught a Security Officer STEALING in front of my face. My company would not fire him because they were afraid he would sue the company. He still works here to this day.

There is a new guy who has been with us for 4 weeks. He has 5 write ups already. Still employed.

Short of murder, our company wont fire anyone. Its annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawson View Post
                            In a perfect world, I would agree with you. I have seen guard tour systems used as a crutch or replacement for competent supervision.

However, it is a way to prove to a client that they are getting some return on their investment. There is a time and place for them, but as mentioned, they should be part of an overall security program and not an end all be all.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X