Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok this is kinda like two posts in one but..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok this is kinda like two posts in one but..

First....

The company i work for does many residental apt contracts and mobile patrol..

who else does something similar..

Second (the juicy part)

The Company i work for has dodge intrepids as mobile cars, painted black with logos and security markings, clear and green lights (as my state allows em). they also have on board computers with access to criminal background info sites...

The Company i work for makes you "own" your uniforms except the patches and badges.. so basically i pay to keep my unis after i quit ...we have the option to lease our radios at 8 dollars a paycheck ( i actually like this option as you get to take the radios home and to work everday, and dont have to worry about other ppl not charging them or breaking them )

The Company i work for wants you to be armed with gun,mace,asp baton,cuffs (they will let you carry any gun you quailify with as per state law allows) They will be getting shotgun certed soon ( sergs and above)
    all of with you the individual are reqd to pay for

The company i work for is a small one less than 20 ppl including owners..

Anyone think this sounds a little to LEO ?
    When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

Originally posted by IB107
    Anyone think this sounds a little to LEO ?
    Not at all, I don't know any PD that would require you to pay for your own uniforms or lease a radio.

I'm a firm believer that if my employer can't be bothered to fully outfit me with the items needed to do my job effectively, I can't be bothered to work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
      I'm a firm believer that if my employer can't be bothered to fully outfit me with the items needed to do my job effectively, I can't be bothered to work for them.
      I can, sometimes it's in the fine print but sometimes you do pay for your gear. The Border Patrol gives you a uniform allowance when you go to the academy but all the gear your required to buy generally goes over that allowance. The military makes you pay for your initial uniforms, (don't believe me find your first LES, its there). I'm sure there are some small PDs that do it and I have seen more than a few that require you purchase your own firearm. I do like the radio idea although I would buy mine outright instead of lease it. I am a believer in takehome radios for security that way you know if you go to a site you don't normally work you know you have comm (if you have a dispatch center or something)

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
        I can, sometimes it's in the fine print but sometimes you do pay for your gear. The Border Patrol gives you a uniform allowance when you go to the academy but all the gear your required to buy generally goes over that allowance. The military makes you pay for your initial uniforms, (don't believe me find your first LES, its there). I'm sure there are some small PDs that do it and I have seen more than a few that require you purchase your own firearm. I do like the radio idea although I would buy mine outright instead of lease it. I am a believer in takehome radios for security that way you know if you go to a site you don't normally work you know you have comm (if you have a dispatch center or something)
        Oh, I know there's places that do make you buy your own gear - they just won't be lucky enough to get me as an employee, whether it be PD, security, whatever.

We have take-home radios also, but I just leave mine in my locker. I've yet to find a reason to take mine home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
          Oh, I know there's places that do make you buy your own gear - they just won't be lucky enough to get me as an employee, whether it be PD, security, whatever.

We have take-home radios also, but I just leave mine in my locker. I've yet to find a reason to take mine home.

ooohhh lucky you.. youve got lockers :P we dont as we do mainly apt communites he he :P well anyways i need to head to be soon i work late shift :P

Comment

ooohhh lucky you.. youve got lockers :P we dont as we do mainly apt communites he he :P well anyways i need to head to be soon i work late shift :P
            Yeah, we have lockers but only because we work at the same place every day. We're not going to different sites every day.

Comment

The Company i work for has dodge intrepids as mobile cars, painted black with logos and security markings, clear and green lights (as my state allows em). they also have on board computers with access to criminal background info sites...
              Cool. If you take your digital camera to work this week snap a pic and put it in the thread for "What do you get to drive" - http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...read.php?t=155 . I for one would be interested in seeing your vehicle.
              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

So would I.

First, I do not like people buying their own gear for the following reasons:

- People end up buying cheap gear which fails on them, costing the company massive amounts in negligence and liability, and the officer his life or livelyhood.

- You get guys buying leather, nylon, clairno, etc. Nobody looks uniform. Nobody understands how the other officer's equipment works. You get some people with those cheap wooden night sticks, others with ASPs, and others with PR-24s. You also have to pray they're certified with them.

- Someone is going to show up to work with a Ranier Tactical Holster with Retention Level Zero to .5. They're going to tell you how they bought it for 10 bucks at the flea market. You're then going to take their gun out of their holster and put them out of their misery, I mean show them what a gun grab is.

As to the rest... I've worked for a company where you have to buy your uniforms via installment. They took 5 bucks out of your check, and every year, that entitled you to a new complete uniform set. If you elected to purchase your own uniforms, you stopped paying the five dollars. Equipment, however, was "optional" unless armed, and you had to pay for it.

The only things the company owned if you paid for your uniform were the patches and badge. The shirts were yours.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Now, to the second thing. This doesn't sound like a LE agency to me. Most LE agencies issue you everything but boots and ASP. Sometimes, they don't issue a firearm. Basically, they do it because you might want a 21" ASP or a 31" ASP. The Boots, as well, come in different sizes. "Buy your own gun" is a "carry what you want" policy.

As to having MDTs with DMV access, this isn't a LE only thing. Your telephone repair guy has an MDT. Community Service Officers (Non-Sworn people in a PD) have MDTs with DMV access. Having access to the DMV records is not a big deal, because everyone can have access to them who are willing to pay. Security companies have specific authority to access "private" DMV records, as well, under state and US "Driver Information Privacy Act(s)." Yep, they give licensed security companies access to the information you "blocked" through the DMV. They also give it to tow truck drivers. Some privacy, huh?

A light bar isn't LE, as well, since everybody and their brother has them. Usually in Amber. The Green/White combination is interesting, and might look cool. Since in WI, we can't run ambers on the street, but can run any color but blue on private property... That gives me an idea.

Patrolling in vehicles isn't an LE concept, either. We do it all the time.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

okay ill try to see if i can get a pic, we dont have light bars, what we have is in car lights mounted on the front and back :P

Comment

The green and white lights are strange, in our neck of the woods green is volunteer ems and white usually fire apparatus or volunteer chiefs and deputy chiefs. Amber is the standard light bar for security although some private colleges and factories ( Sikorsky Aircraft and such) have all red. I even remember until quite recently a local city police dept. had amber and blue light bars.
                      As far as paying for equipment, we issue everything from basic uniform to rain gear, bike gear and shoes and take home radios. You buy your own boots. Most proprietary forces around here supply all uniform equipment. I know several contract agencies that make you pay to wear thier uniform, but most of those don't supply a radio- worst case I saw was a roll of quaters in the desk to use the pay phone to call for help if something happened-the client would lock the phones so the guards couldn't use them. Unless I was getting a substantial uniform allowance to go with a basic issue I think I'd decline the honor of working for the company. I can give my money away to the IRS.
                      Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

okay ill try to see if i can get a pic, we dont have light bars, what we have is in car lights mounted on the front and back :P
                        Deck and dash strobes, those are nice for the " guess whose here" suprise roll-ups.
                        Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                          So would I.

First, I do not like people buying their own gear for the following reasons:

- You get guys buying leather, nylon, clairno, etc. Nobody looks uniform. Nobody understands how the other officer's equipment works. You get some people with those cheap wooden night sticks, others with ASPs, and others with PR-24s. You also have to pray they're certified with them.

I agree. Who wants a security team that looks like they are wearing hand-me-downs?
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

That type of patrol sounds exactly like what I do. Patrolling in large apartment complexes working for a small company with cars like that sounds just like the last company I worked for. I own all my uniforms and gear as well, as most companies in my area require you to either buy the uniforms outright or pay for them in installments, usually $25 per check until they're paid for. Every patrol company I know of in north Texas has their officers buy their own gear and weapons. We're also armed with pistol, baton, oc, and handcuffs and many wear vests as well. As for that sounding "too leo", I don't really believe it does since I understand the nature of the job. Don't expect the leo's to though.
                            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

We just had our uniform allowence taken away for this year we got $450.00 a year for unis, equipment, boots, as for vest the hospital would buy it up front and payroll deduct $25.00 a check ($50 a mo.) untill payed off. they wont even do that now gee thanks. but at the $$$ I am making + the benni's I would not be able to find a job that pays even close, even if I went back to working in a body shop. So next mo I am getting some stuff out of my pocket.

We have a new director of security now he started as a Officer 20 years ago and is now the director (a very good thing) and hopefully will get some of our $ back. (the previous director was the Finance officer and wanted to shave down the budget and guess who got SHAVED.)

as for the lights we have green to rock on! Our thinking was this:

Red and Blue are PD and Fire / EMS. yellow people think, Mail man, Tow truck. soo we went with GREEN and people are like WHAT IS THAT! (there is the BE SEEN part)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X