No announcement yet.

Basic firefighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a Halon flooding system in our telephone equipment/computer room. 20 years & luckly no accidental dumping. It will be too bad if it does happen. You are no longer allowed to use Halon due to it's effects on the ozone. (You can keep what you have, you just can't refill it). Too bad because it works great on electrical fires. (I've trained with portable Halon extinguishers).

As for not using water. Guest what is replacing Halon? Water mist. There are now class AC fire extinguishers. It is also being used in flooding systems. It uses demineralized water in a fine mist that does not conduct electricity.

The Halon dumping story reminded me of the first week I worked here, 25 years ago. We had a Security Director who knew nothing about fire protection. We had a CO2 system to protect our kitchen. (Very ineffective by the way). It used about 20 full sized CO2 cylinders. The Director wanted to see how it worked so he activated it & dumped all 20 cylinders of CO2!!!
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Halatron

Halon: No longer available to the general public, these extinguishers are very hazardous when used on a fire because of a chemical change that takes place during the heat phase of the fire. The Halon changes to hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen sulfide, according to the material safety data sheets. During the cool down phase, it changes one more time into phosgene gas. Although Halon was initially thought to absorb oxygen, it actually displaces oxygen in the area of the fire. Halon is clean and requires little cleanup; unfortunately, it's highly toxic. It costs an average of $150/pound.

Halatron: This extinguisher is a popular replacement for Halon. It is environmentally friendly but still has some of the same hazards as Halon during the heating and cooling process
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X