Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this website?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Tickets, heck, if a police officer gets caught speeding they should get a double-double (mmmm, in and out) ticket. A police officer is sworn to uphold the law. I don't think that an anyone in public service has the right to say, "don't do as I do, do as I say".
    When I was an Air Force firefighter the local IAFF in Las Vegas issued us Professional Firefighter ID cards, with those we could get Professional FF liscense plates (they were nice, all big lettering, orange, had a little sillouette of a FF on it). Most of they guys thought it was a "get out of a ticket" ticket. I had a roommate who would routinely drive 20-30 over, even on city streets, cut people off, squeal his tires and crap like that until one day I said to him, "dude,how do you think that makes us all look (refering to local FF's)?" He was like "oh, I never though of it that way."
    Let's say that a cop, or cop's wife, is going 15mph over the speed limit, gets pulled over, contact officer says "oh you're a cop" and let's him go. Now that same cop (or wife) who just got pulled over says, "hey, I guess cops give each other a break around here", steps on the gas, goes speeding away, and because of thier excessive speed, gets in a car accident and kills someone. Far fetched, but it can happen... I just don't think anyone in authority should use thier positon to get out of justice, speed limits are there for a reason, sure speeding is only malum in se (i drop a little sarcasm in there), but if you can't adhere to one of the smallest laws you're sworn to uphold....

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
      The cop or the husband?
      It was the poor dumb Colonel. Worse yet, his forced retirement was before the completion of his third year in grade. Therefore he retired as a Lt Colonel.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Bridgegate
        And honestly, yes. Sheriff, judge, etc. I don't care. I've seen/known too many people who got killed in DUI-related accidents. I have exactly ZERO tolerance for it. But that's just me. If my career goes down the toilet because of it, so be it. I've got enough skills in other things that I could still make a decent living. (Granted, it wouldn't be as fulfilling as serving the community, but hey)
        I'm not sure if you're an aspiring police officer or not, but if you are this viewpoint will change when you start doing the job. I'm not a cop, but I work with them and have a few friends that are cops. I don't know a single one that would ever write another cop a ticket for anything, including DWI. No one got hurt? No property damage? Give the guy a break and give him a ride home. We've all driven home when we probably shouldn't have, no one's perfect.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Jackhole
          I'm not sure if you're an aspiring police officer or not, but if you are this viewpoint will change when you start doing the job. I'm not a cop, but I work with them and have a few friends that are cops. I don't know a single one that would ever write another cop a ticket for anything, including DWI. No one got hurt? No property damage? Give the guy a break and give him a ride home. We've all driven home when we probably shouldn't have, no one's perfect.
          So shouldn't john q. public who has an otherwise perfect driving record and no criminal background, not rude but very respectful be given a break and a ride home?? You are asking for two different standards on people and I believe that in regards to the public and LEOs/SOs their should be.....LEOs/SOs should be held to a higher standard.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by GCMC Security
            So shouldn't john q. public who has an otherwise perfect driving record and no criminal background, not rude but very respectful be given a break and a ride home?? You are asking for two different standards on people and I believe that in regards to the public and LEOs/SOs their should be.....LEOs/SOs should be held to a higher standard.
            Exactly my point.

            As far as my career, I know I want to stay in the law enforcement field. Whether I move on to full-fledged cop, or stay on the private field, I haven't quite decided yet as there are pros and cons to both. But I also have many friends who are cops. Some of them share your opinion, some of them share mine. The ones who don't believe in ticketing other Officers are generally (not saying ALL here, mind you) the ones who believe that they're "above the law". They've forgotten the fact that they're supposed to be upholding the law and keeping the peace, not playing favorites.

            Heck, I'll even go so far as to tell you about the one vehicle accident I've been in. It happened while I was on duty, in a patrol car. T-boned another vehicle in an intersection. Realistically speaking, it was a shared-fault type of thing, as he had his turn signal on 2 blocks away. But I made the (stupid) decision to go ahead and pull out without confirming his turn. (He was aiming for a driveway on the OTHER side of me). In the end, my decision was the determing factor in the accident, so the Officer who responded had to cite me. I could tell he didn't WANT to, as I'd known the guy for almost 3 years at the time, and we had a good professional relationship. But he did anyway. And you know what I said? "Thanks bud. I've gotta go get my [email protected]#$ reamed by my supe now, but I'll catch ya later at Starbucks."

            Rambling aside, it all boils down to a person getting ticked off that they got caught doing something wrong. Cop or not, suck it up and pay the ticket. Life goes on.

            //rant.
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

            Comment


            • #21

              Comment


              • #22
                That wont happen as long as legislators operate motor vehicles.
                I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                -Lieutenant Commander Data
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #23
                  I dislike -0- tolerance policies that eliminate good judgment. As an example, an elementary school kid who is suspended just because he brought some Tylenol with him due to a -0- tolerance drug policy at school.

                  Man loves to make rules in an attempt to solve problems. Usually, he just ends up shooting himself in the foot.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    I dislike -0- tolerance policies that eliminate good judgment. As an example, an elementary school kid who is suspended just because he brought some Tylenol with him due to a -0- tolerance drug policy at school.

                    Man loves to make rules in an attempt to solve problems. Usually, he just ends up shooting himself in the foot.
                    I'm not sure about Tylenol but some people are very allergic to asprin & can have a very serious reaction to it if they take it. The kid might have been suspended because of this, not because it was "a drug".
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                      I'm not sure about Tylenol but some people are very allergic to asprin & can have a very serious reaction to it if they take it. The kid might have been suspended because of this, not because it was "a drug".
                      It's not just "a drug" policy; it also manifests itself with so-called weapons. If a child brings a plastic knife to school to eat his lunch, school authorities must suspend him because of a -0- tolerance policy on weapons. Now come on! If a kid wants to find a real "weapon" at school, he could use a baseball bat during gym class. Not to mention the tools that are available in shop classes. Again, when you take thinking out of the equation, you're bound to have some stupid consequences.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Mr. Security
                        It's not just "a drug" policy; it also manifests itself with so-called weapons. If a child brings a plastic knife to school to eat his lunch, school authorities must suspend him because of a -0- tolerance policy on weapons. Now come on! If a kid wants to find a real "weapon" at school, he could use a baseball bat during gym class. Not to mention the tools that are available in shop classes. Again, when you take thinking out of the equation, you're bound to have some stupid consequences.
                        Along this train of thought. Last week the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that a Sheik child CAN bring his ceremonial dagger (called a Kirpan) to school since it is part of his religion.
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Been watching that one.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

                          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                          Comment

                          Leaderboard

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X