Thoughts on this website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this website?

I checked O.com again for the boredom alleviation.

This website was noted, and your opinion is requested:

www.copswritingcops.com
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Well, after reading through it, I tend to ride the fence a bit on this one. Yes, there is supposed to be some professional courtesy out there, and some of those stories are ridiculous... But on the other hand, Cops are supposed to be "good examples" for the public on how to behave... So I have NO sympathy for cops who commit DUI, or abuse the laws... Doing 100+ in a 75 is too much. I would've written that ticket as well, cop or not.

As far as the site itself, I can just imagine the kind of crapstorm this could stir up if more departments start hearing about it...
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
      Well, after reading through it, I tend to ride the fence a bit on this one. Yes, there is supposed to be some professional courtesy out there, and some of those stories are ridiculous... But on the other hand, Cops are supposed to be "good examples" for the public on how to behave... So I have NO sympathy for cops who commit DUI, or abuse the laws... Doing 100+ in a 75 is too much. I would've written that ticket as well, cop or not.

As far as the site itself, I can just imagine the kind of crapstorm this could stir up if more departments start hearing about it...

What if you stopped "THE" SHERIFF and he (she) was drunk? What if you stopped a Judge or a high powered Politician or the Dean at the College you work at? Are you going to put your career on the line?

Trust me every cop will say what he (she) would do in these types of situations but the realities are always different, bravado sounds good when John Wayne says it and maybe Mel Gibson but you try it at your peril.

Law Enforcement is the most politicaly charged career you can get into, why do you think that most LE resources are spent on the street level criminal, crack heads, prostitutes? Because the high level criminals have political connections.

LE is not black and white but differing shades of gray.

As far as curtisy, LE is the only career that can be halted forever by one mistake, so curtisy is and should be used but of course should not be abused.

Comment

Pc

Nothing fires up cops more than this subject. The police are supposed to set the example for the public. Children are quick to recognize a parent who lives by the standard: "Do as I say and not as I do." The result? Juvenile delinquents. The same is true with the public. If the police do not obey the law, then why should the public?

As far as letting fellow officers go after a traffic infraction, if it was a mistake, no problem. If it stems from a sense of entitlement, then write them up. I'm glad that the VA troopers are sticking to the law that all officers have sworn to uphold. Bottom line: Mercy seasons justice; permissiveness breeds corruption.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier

www.copswritingcops.com

I don't think police officers have to answer to the same laws the common citizen does....... IN RUSSIA!

What the heck.... as long as I'm at it, here are a few more of my thoughts...haha

www.geocities.com/johnniemccoy/thewayIseeit.html

John the Gateboy
          If you can't see the humor, leave your gun at the door!

Comment

John, just a note:

Originally posted by Blame_The_Guard
            Ok, boot up your computer, when the Windows Desktop appears, open MSWord and knock of that letter to Aunt Gertrude. Now open Outlook Express and check your email. When you've finished those chores, click Internet Explorer and go online with MSN. Pop into your favorite chat room and bitch about Bill Gates and Microsoft. .... ("Ah ha," you say, "I'm not using MSN. So there!")
            Boot up my computer. greeted with GRUB asking if I want to boot into Windows XP or Gentoo Linux. Select Gentoo Linux. GNOME desktop appears, open OpenOffice.org and knock off that letter to Kevin Jordan. Now, open Evolution and check my email, as well as synchronize my online calendar with opsnet.cityscapesolutions.net. Click Mozilla Firefox. I have DSL, and its brought up in the background via the rp-ppoe package when I boot. Close Firefox, start X-Chat, jump on an IRC server, and bitch about both Anti-Microsoft Zealots and Stupid-Things-Bill-Does.

There are two kinds of folks who bitch about Microsoft. Open Source Zealots (Who may know what they're talking about), and the computer illiterate who think Bill makes every program they buy, and makes it impossible for them to work properly.

They're both annoying.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

John, just a note:

There are two kinds of folks who bitch about Microsoft. Open Source Zealots (Who may know what they're talking about), and the computer illiterate who think Bill makes every program they buy, and makes it impossible for them to work properly.

They're both annoying.
              Haha..... right.

Although I think Microsoft bears government scrutiny, not for what they've done, or are doing, but for potentials I can't really put a finger on (I watch too much science fiction), I really think most user problems with Microsoft software are due to the complexities inherent in complex software, like Office. To most users, almost everything they use is Microsoft. That means when something goes wrong..... must be Microsoft. When hackers are in the mood to hack, there's plenty of Microsoft right there in front of them so might as well hack that as something not as many people use.

If the average user, who most always insists on Microsoft software, would learn to use it, I don't think there would be so much complaining. As for the internet..... well, if you just gotta download that nifty toolbar and open every forward you get..... ya got no right to gripe.....haha.

John the Gateboy

another of my pages
              http://www.geocities.com/johnniemccoy/BETTER.html

Comment

Originally posted by talon
                What if you stopped "THE" SHERIFF and he (she) was drunk? What if you stopped a Judge or a high powered Politician or the Dean at the College you work at? Are you going to put your career on the line?

LE is not black and white but differing shades of gray.
                Naturally... All LE is grey area... Hence the reason most LE agencies stopped hiring the big burly guys who just hit people with sticks, and started hiring people with psych degrees... So they can think on their feet and make good decisions based on each individual situation.

And honestly, yes. Sheriff, judge, etc. I don't care. I've seen/known too many people who got killed in DUI-related accidents. I have exactly ZERO tolerance for it. But that's just me. If my career goes down the toilet because of it, so be it. I've got enough skills in other things that I could still make a decent living. (Granted, it wouldn't be as fulfilling as serving the community, but hey)

And here's another penny for your thoughts on that one... Most states have now instated a law regarding DUI stops. If it's shown that the person is intoxicated, the Officer is REQUIRED to make the arrest, for liability reasons. If the Officer lets the person go, knowing that they're drunk, guess who's liable? So if it's a high-level politician, and I let him go knowing he's drunk, and he ends up wrecking and killing someone, guess who's career is going down the crapper anyway? Better safe than sorry.
                Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                Originally posted by ValleyOne
                BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                Shoulda called in sick.
                Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                  Most states have now instated a law regarding DUI stops. If it's shown that the person is intoxicated, the Officer is REQUIRED to make the arrest, for liability reasons.
                  I can imagine a situation in which a bartender was arrested for serving someone who was, obvioulsy, intoxicated and who, incidently, was stopped and let go by a police officer, caused a serious accident. Ain't life funny.

John the Gateboy

Comment

Doesn't matter who the suspect is. To be professional means doing that which is necessary to perform the mission, and to do it without favour or prejudice.

That said, in my days as an LPO I arrested a Minister, a cop, a city councillor, and others who could have exerted revenge / influence. But they didn't. And I'm better than I ever was.

wjohnc
                    who has always told his friends and family that he will do his job, so be good
                    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

For minor infractions like 10-15 over, i think it would be fine to let a fellow officer go with a verbal warning. As long as it was not a dangerous type of speeding like on busy roads. As far as a high profile VIP DUI, if there were no laws regarding your need to arrest, i could see someone trying to get ahold of the person's (like the mayor's) wife first to have her come pick him up or something. You could deal with the situation without an arrest and without letting a drunk keep driving.

Comment

Double standard snivelers.

www.copswritingcops.com

Comment

IMHO Cops shouldn't write other cops tickets... Arrest for DWI/OWI now thats another story. Arrest all depends on actions, BAC and completion of a Field Dexterity Testing.. If they are all failed and the person is so drunk they can't move then its a call to the super for their review.

If a crash was involved I would have no choice but to lock them up.

Now I haev a buddy who is now a Sgt with our State Police who was pulled over for speeding (8 over) no big deal usualy a warning a let go in this area for anyone at that speed). The city cop whom I grew up with my whole life stopps my troop buddy and runs his name for wants/warrants. I was ticked to find this out because everyone at the PD knew this trooper because his wife was a cadet at the time and all the city guys hung out with him. He filed check him then stroked him a ticket. Yes he was made and so I was I that he wrote him a citation. No far be it from me to complain but this local NEVER wrote a citation to any one with a clean record for anything less then 12 over but he write a off duty.

Like I said in the thread about rival companies, you show some courtesy to the others you work with and work near because you never know who will be your back up.
                          http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Rank Has Its Privilege?

When I was station at Little Rock AFB, a real sharp Air Policeman stopped the deputy base commander's wife for running a stop sign. She got out of her car and slapped him across the face and drove off. It was witnessed by others and duly reported. The Air Police Squadron Commander, a junior captain, dropped the matter and everyone was told to keep their mouths shut.
                            Two weeks later the same wife was stopped by a police officer in North Little Rock for speeding and running a red light. She got out of her car and slapped the officer across the face. She wound up being handcuffed, booked and jailed. She called her husband screaming. He came to the station and tried rank on them. Didn't work. The judge, a former AF Judge Advocate, called a friend in AF Headquarters. The charges were reduced to a $500 fine and the officer was immediately transferred to Washington DC and within a year, he was out.
                            What goes around comes around.
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                              the officer was immediately transferred to Washington DC and within a year, he was out.
                              The cop or the husband?
                              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X