Editing Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing Reports

We have a system where I work that allows you to create reports using an Internet-based service. It's a very good system that makes for uniformity in reports, drop-down menus, etc.

Anyway, there's a guy who works a fixed post on day shift who's responsibility it is to check all reports from the previous day to make sure they're classified correctly, contain all the proper elements to support your charges (in the case where students/staff are charged), etc. The guy is very helpful in most cases, i.e. when I was new I would erroneously mis-classify my reports and he would fix it before the administration looked at it. However, lately he's been editing my narratives by inserting tab spaces, making new paragraphs and changing sentences to make them grammatically incorrect.

I'm sure he means well, but this needs to stop immediately. The people that read these reports are private college administrators and Deans, not uneducated people by any means. I take pride in my reports and don't need them changed in such a fashion that reflects poorly on me. What is a good way to tell this guy to knock it off, without making him mad? I'm still pretty new there, I don't want to make any waves.

"Hey, I know you mean well, but since these are legal documents and all, I would appreciate it if you just left my narrative the way I put it. Thanks dude. "
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

We have a program similar to that. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I type all my reports only when I have all my info and not a minute sooner. The school has put pressure to type one immediatley then add to the major details later and I refuse.

If I have to do a follow up later fine, I will add a supp to it.

I WON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE ANY INFO. I got my butt burned extremely hard in court for it ONE time. Never again. If the boss and the admin wants stuff taken out they have to do it cause I refuse to be part of any overt illegal act. That is illegal BTW.
      http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
        We have a system where I work that allows you to create reports using an Internet-based service. It's a very good system that makes for uniformity in reports, drop-down menus, etc.

Anyway, there's a guy who works a fixed post on day shift who's responsibility it is to check all reports from the previous day to make sure they're classified correctly, contain all the proper elements to support your charges (in the case where students/staff are charged), etc. The guy is very helpful in most cases, i.e. when I was new I would erroneously mis-classify my reports and he would fix it before the administration looked at it. However, lately he's been editing my narratives by inserting tab spaces, making new paragraphs and changing sentences to make them grammatically incorrect.

I'm sure he means well, but this needs to stop immediately. The people that read these reports are private college administrators and Deans, not uneducated people by any means. I take pride in my reports and don't need them changed in such a fashion that reflects poorly on me. What is a good way to tell this guy to knock it off, without making him mad? I'm still pretty new there, I don't want to make any waves.
        Something doesn't add-up with this. Have you spoken with any of the other officers to see if their reports are being edited this way?

Also, the system might be handy, but I'm somewhat leery of the editing option. Your report, especially in an arrest, is a legal document that shouldn't be altered unless you sign off on the changes. Otherwise, I would think that it could be challenged in court.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          Something doesn't add-up with this. Have you spoken with any of the other officers to see if their reports are being edited this way?
          He's editing everyone's reports - supervisors and all.

Comment

He's editing everyone's reports - supervisors and all.
            At least you know it's not personal. I wouldn't make an issue out of it. You are not going to stand out as "uneducated" since all the reports have the same errors. You are new. Let someone with more authority handle the matter. No need to make an enemy at this point.

Comment

At least you know it's not personal. I wouldn't make an issue out of it. You are not going to stand out as "uneducated" since all the reports have the same errors. You are new. Let someone with more authority handle the matter. No need to make an enemy at this point.

Just wait till one goes to court and the defense says why does this report say something different from your testimony. Then your on the hot seat and saying he did it wont cut it there.

They need to be stopped now before one of your guards gets flushed down the tubes.
              http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

If you do decide to take action, and you are not comfortable asking the person directly, follow the chain of command. If your supervisor isn't willing to act, let it be.

Comment

Originally posted by darrell
                  Just wait till one goes to court and the defense says why does this report say something different from your testimony. Then your on the hot seat and saying he did it wont cut it there.

They need to be stopped now before one of your guards gets flushed down the tubes.
                  It's not court I'm worried about, we rarely go to court. I'm just worried about student conduct hearings where I have to read my report aloud and it's different than how I wrote it in the first place.

Comment

Just because everyone appears uneducated doesn't make it any better.

Comment

Just because everyone appears uneducated doesn't make it any better.
                      Granted. You will have to decide whether the benefit outweighs the risk of appearing to take yourself too seriously.

Comment

Granted. You will have to decide whether the benefit outweighs the risk of appearing to take yourself too seriously.
                        There's few things I take more seriously at work than my appearance and professionalism.

Comment

There's few things I take more seriously at work than my appearance and professionalism.
                          OK. Looks like you have made your decision. Hope it works out.

Comment

OK. Looks like you have made your decision. Hope it works out.
                            Well, I'm not sure I made my decision yet. Obviously I'd rather be viewed as unprofessional at work than professional while sitting at home on unemployment.

I'm going to talk to my supervisor as suggested earlier.

Comment

Are the final reports signed by the reporting officer? If so, nothing should be changed in the report, except by the reporting officer. Period. Then each change should be signed by the reporting officer. Once 'someone else' changes something in 'your' report (spelling, grammar, etc.) it is an altered document. I have found, over the years, the factual/honest reporting by the officer is what is important. Poor spelling and grammar are mostly overlooked. After reading some of your posts I get the feeling you know what your doing when it comes to report writing and you probably don't need this fella's assistance. Personaly, I would have a nice talk with him. I would thank him for his assistance but let him know I like my reports submitted as written. That way the final report will match my notes.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X