Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired Wal-Mart guard sues

First published: Thursday, May 4, 2006

ROTTERDAM -- A fired Wal-Mart security guard is suing her former employer for gender discrimination after her lawyer says she was let go for chasing a purse snatcher near the Altamont Avenue store.

In a written statement that her lawyer says she submitted to Wal-Mart after the April 10 incident, Shannon Kennedy, 32, describes how she called police and chased the robber in her car after he grabbed a 77-year-old woman's purse outside the store.

The purse was recovered behind a nearby drug store.

Three days later, the Waterford woman was fired after being told she violated company policy by pursuing the thief, said Kennedy's attorney, John Aretakis. He claims a male security guard was given an award by Wal-Mart for similar action about a year ago.

Aretakis said Kennedy was told that she was only supposed to protect company property.

A Wal-Mart spokesman, Kevin Gardner, said he could not comment on pending litigation and said he did not know the details of the policy in question.

In the lawsuit, filed in state Supreme Court in Schenectady Wednesday, Kennedy is seeking $1 million.
    -----------------
    Source

Heh. Lets take a look at what she did.

A person committed an offense, on property. She got in her vehicle and pursued off property, endangering the lives of motorists and herself.

We'll stop there.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Three days later, the Waterford woman was fired after being told she violated company policy by pursuing the thief, said Kennedy's attorney, John Aretakis. He claims a male security guard was given an award by Wal-Mart for similar action about a year ago.

If this is true, then she might have a case. It's not the first time I have seen security companies praise a guard even though they didn't follow company policy. From what I have seen, some companies capitalize on it if the outcome is good, but fire you if it goes south.

Regarding the million dollar figure, I'd like to know how they arrived at that number.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        Regarding the million dollar figure, I'd like to know how they arrived at that number.
        Go big or go home
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Where I work we are often told to use our own judgement. The client keeps alot of rule vague. They want us to take care of things but the they don't want to accept any responsibility if things go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lord of the Keys
            ...... The client keeps alot of rule vague. They want us to take care of things but the they don't want to accept any responsibility if things go wrong.
            Yep. That's done intentionally. When you have a client like that, your "tenure" at the site will be short.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X