X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lord of the Keys
    Its interesting how Guardsmark doesn't want its guard hired by the rival who takes over an account yet I've heard Guardsmark management say how important it is to hire some of the former guards when they acquire an account.
    It's different when it works in their favor.

Leave a comment:

• The Lord of the Keys
    replied
    Its interesting how Guardsmark doesn't want its guard hired by the rival who takes over an account yet I've heard Guardsmark management say how important it is to hire some of the former guards when they acquire an account.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    I was told that Pinkerton had the policy because at that time in-house security was the thing. People working at contracts would get close to the client who would end up hiring the guard directly. Pinkerton would loose their "cut".
    That would be considered "stealing the guard," and the guard was went after for "stealing the contract."

Now, trying to pull the "We lost the bid, but we want our guards," most large clients will go, "Yeah. Old guys, they quit. We quit them for you. New guys, you will hire these guards, give them uniforms, and not mess with them. They are who we want."

We inherited a "supervisor" from the last contractor at a credit union. Man was insane, it took 3 years to fire the guy for abandonment of post. The President of the Credit Union liked him, he would drop several cars off to be detailed by the "supervisor" while he was on duty. He made more detailing the cars than guarding the place.

Part of this detailing entailed driving the cars to a car wash a block away. The patrol supervisors were told not to even try to find the man off post, because we'd lose the contract.

One supervisor was bored and stopped at a Circle K. Guess who was at the Circle K? He was instantly suspended. We lost the contract 3 weeks later.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    I was told that Pinkerton had the policy because at that time in-house security was the thing. People working at contracts would get close to the client who would end up hiring the guard directly. Pinkerton would loose their "cut".

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by darrell
    ....when you work close with them like we did in the same setting and same building you can't afford to have a tiff with the others that didn't wear the same uniform as you. Its like 2 Police departments that are at a turf war. One doesn't have to back you up on anything nor show up when your getting a beating on the side of the road on a stop. But if you work out your differences, suck up your pride and stick it out they will be happy to assist you......
    Well said!

Leave a comment:

• darrell
    replied
    When I worked as a armed guard in a trailer park and also when i worked at a mall we had a great relationship with the other companies and also the AP, LPs from the stores.

As a armed guard a lot of times the Troops were tied up and busy with priority calls and wouldn't have any troops free to assist me or the crew across the street. We would often back each other up on fights, alarms, domestics and other things and hold it down till the troopers arrived to haul the punks off. I had my work radio programmed with their channel so that I could monitor the guards across the sreet. Since my boss didn't care because he was a former cop if they needed help to go help them. It was like we were our own cities and we were the police.

I had support of the local troopers to do what had to be done in a legal fashion, detain if need be and they would take care of the rest when they could free a car up. Which didn't take too long since I knew all the guys at the post.

At the mall us and the store security, Lps and APs shared ban letters, photos, names and other info to assist each other with problems. If we were tussling with some people out side their store they came and helped, when they got in a knock down drag out or a chase we assisted them.

Riffing with other companies can be fine and dandy but when you work close with them like we did in the same setting and same building you can't afford to have a tiff with the others that didn't wear the same uniform as you. Its like 2 Police departments that are at a turf war. One doesn't have to back you up on anything nor show up when your getting a beating on the side of the road on a stop. But if you work out your differences, suck up your pride and stick it out they will be happy to assist you. There will always be one officer of guard thats a knuckle head that no one likes. When they are not liked its 2 fold, not liked by your people and not liked by rival companies. If there is going to be a riff let it be amungst the administration and brass and not the grunts. After all its the grunts that will save you when your in over your head and not your brass.

Unity be it guard shirts or police shirts is all the same when you need help... Act professionaly and keep on on training and follow the set laws and things should (not always) but should go smoothly.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Most companies I have worked for that had me sign a non-comp, told me if the issue were ever to come up, I could talk to them and chances were they'd drop the contract for that instance.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Depending on your standing in the company, they're not worth the money it cost to print them.

If you are a salaried member of management, then yes, they're worth something, because the claim can be made that you used confidential and proprietary (trade secret) information to secure contracts from your former employer.

If you are a hourly employee, how the hell are they going to prive that you stole a contract?
    The purpose behind the agreement is to prevent other security companies from coming in and taking the contract ALONG WITH the guards that already work there. When we lost one account, I received a letter from their legal department advising me that they would enforce the agreement if I tried to stay on with the new security company.

Guardsmark has run into trouble with some of its policies in CA. As time goes on, I expect that additional legal action will render many of these antiquated policies moot. Stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Depending on your standing in the company, they're not worth the money it cost to print them.

If you are a salaried member of management, then yes, they're worth something, because the claim can be made that you used confidential and proprietary (trade secret) information to secure contracts from your former employer.

If you are a hourly employee, how the hell are they going to prive that you stole a contract?

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Guardsmark requires it's perspective employees to sign a non-compete agreement which bars employees from working at any site where they used to be posted for one year after losing the contract.
    I had to sign something like this back in 1975 when I started working for Pinkerton du Quebec!

Leave a comment:

• Knight Watch
    replied
    Contract Guards

After 9/11 the hospital hired Bruns to agument our staff at first we (in house officer) were VERY leary of them for fear that we would be replaced by them as some time passed and we were told that we would not be replaced and some of them started training with us and they were allowed to carry cuffs, asp, pepper foam, only if they trained with us and only at the hospital.

but for only having 3 guard posts, in a 6 month period there were only 3 good ones and there were at least 25 give or take that did not work out. The one guard told our supervisor that she did not listen to him told him to (action verb) wewe off. she was leaving her post when ever she wanted and was out of uniform most of the time. She worked 2 hrs and she was replaced after her boss talked to our boss and the others were told that they had to listen to us.

Their turn over was horable and the 25 guard were what we call Rent-a-turds or WBU (Cant remember exactly but warm body's, kinda warm) but there were 3 that were GREAT and one of them works for us now and is a shift supervisor.

Last edited by Knight Watch; 05-07-2006, 04:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ozsecuritychic
    replied
    i had a bloke walk through my mall with no pants on.when he left he went staight towards the other mall after i rang the police i rang the guards across the road and they ring me to let me know certain people are on their way.its good to talk to them because i can find out peoples names and they can find out of me names too.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Along the same line as this thread. How's your relationship with other security that you are not in direct contact with?

I'm a member of the Hotel Security Directors of Montreal. There is also another association of Directors of Security of major downtown properties.(Malls, department stores, hotels, office building etc). In both associations we e-mail each other descriptions & pictures from our video systems of suspects, pass on info about scams etc. We meet once a month & discuss mutual problems. The federal, provincial & municipal police send representatives.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Guardsmark requires it's perspective employees to sign a non-compete agreement which bars employees from working at any site where they used to be posted for one year after losing the contract.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    [QUOTE=Wackenhut Lawson]
    What I like about Wackenhut here, is when we take over sites, we are very good about hiring incumbents. QUOTE]

I'm not 100% sure since I don't work contract security but I think companies in Quebec are FORCED to keep the employees when a comapny takes over a site from another. It might have something to do with the fact that MOST contract security agents in Quebec are unionized.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X