Security Stops Suicide at Empire State Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Stops Suicide at Empire State Building

Jamel Lee, 37, a security officer at the Empire State Building, stopped a suicidal subject who was going to jump from the top. He was assisted by an unidentified tourist who incurred a minor injury during the incident.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-350224c.html

Then again, Senator Hillary Clinton made it a point to make a blurb about the incident stating the guards were undertrained and they needed to attend SEIU's 40 hour "safe and secure" program. Considering the past two incidents where they performed in an exemplary fashion, that ladies and gentlemen, is pretty funny.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Yeah, I like how the guards do well, two times in less than a month, stopping jumpers and how do they get rewarded? Being called undertrained. Good work Senator Clinton, you are a true hero to America.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Is that not always the case. Higher ups don't like the idea that people not of an "offical" office take action and do a good job. They have to down play thier actions in order so promote thier own agendas. I hope they get some kind of recognition by thier employers at least.
      My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

If nothing else... they've got my respect.
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Indeed, as mine. Especailly at the fact they were no doubt putting thier lives at risk. Not sure if I could work a skyscraper job.
          My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

SEIU's 40 hour "safe and secure" program...

Where's some information on this? Who created it? Is it applicable to just unarmed "property protection" security, or all security? Is it a national standard?

It worries me when a generic union starts making up training standards that nobody's ever heard of, and has U.S. Senators advertising them.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Safe and secure

[QUOTE=N. A. Corbier]SEIU's 40 hour "safe and secure" program...

Where's some information on this? Who created it? Is it applicable to just unarmed "property protection" security, or all security? Is it a national standard?

My guess is that it is like Illinois PERC card (Permanent Employee Registration card), some cheezy video's and a multi-guess test that you could pass with out watching the video's . and some OJT (On the Job Training) and is normally required when working for a security contractor like Whackenhut ect.

Comment

Its always good to see positive stories concerning security but it sure seems a strange place to put in a jab about training. Of course more training would be better for security guards in general, at least if its real training and not on paper only

Comment

I found the SEIU Local's web page, and their "New York Safe and Secure" course material.

Basically, its 13 3 hour courses with an hour long test, based off thew Florida Model. 8 hours of this training is rehashing the training that the state already required you to have in NY.

However, they left some parts of the Florida Model out, which deal with (minimally) employee safety (Special Problems of Security), and put in... Customer Service.

It also provides Red Cross CPR and AED training, but no First Aid training. They are also providing a ... sister course for janitors.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Good job by Jahmel Lee the security guard at the Empire State Building, for stopping the guy from committing suicide. I hope he does in fact get the recognition that he deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      ...They are also providing a ... sister course for janitors.
                      If that became required material they would start posting janitors up in the building and start replacing the uniformed personnel. Maybe they would even make a janitor the security department's supervisor. Wait a second, I think I've heard of that theme before.
                      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch

Then again, Senator Hillary Clinton made it a point to make a blurb about the incident stating the guards were undertrained and they needed to attend SEIU's 40 hour "safe and secure" program. Considering the past two incidents where they performed in an exemplary fashion, that ladies and gentlemen, is pretty funny.
                        It's enough to make the s/o's want to jump next.
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

From what I can tell by reading the article, the union has a beef with the guards employer at the tower and they (the union) contacted Sen. Clinton. Better training for security personal is one of her pet projects.

WE know the guard did a great job. He could just as easily have done nothing besides call the authorities. The guard grabbed the jumper and pulled him down, then I assumed restrained him. How would additional training have benefited the situation?.

Comment

Originally posted by CAR54
                            From what I can tell by reading the article, the union has a beef with the guards employer at the tower and they (the union) contacted Sen. Clinton. Better training for security personal is one of her pet projects.

WE know the guard did a great job. He could just as easily have done nothing besides call the authorities. The guard grabbed the jumper and pulled him down, then I assumed restrained him. How would additional training have benefited the situation?.
                            If he was properly trained he would have been more able to keep himself from letting his natural instinct take over and would not have been so tempted to try to play hero by stopping a man from committing suicide. No, he would have been able to stop and say, "Wait, this is a job for the police. And I am not Police" Then he would have actually been of sound mind enough to call the NYPD and have them do the job.
                            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                              Yeah, I like how the guards do well, two times in less than a month, stopping jumpers and how do they get rewarded? Being called undertrained. Good work Senator Clinton, you are a true hero to America.

I HATE Billery and his man wife............. They look down on security, military and Law Enforcement as a whole. They think they are a joke.

That guard did a fine job in saving a life. I hope they keep up the good work.
                              http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X