Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill 85 approved for S/O profession in Florida.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill 85 approved for S/O profession in Florida.

CHANGE IN LAW Raises Penalty for Assault on Security Officers

Tallahassee Fl.- The "Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services- Private Investigations, Recovery, and Security Advisory Council", The Florida Association of Security Companies, and Security Officers from across the State of Florida, joined to lobby the legislature to increase the criminal penalties for assault or battery on a security officer while at work. Security officers were classified as the highest risk group for injury or death from criminal means while at work by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. This fact, coupled with the new duties assigned to security officers as part of the war on terror, prompted the agency employees statewide to petition for inclusion in the enhanced penalties statute FSS 784.

After two attempts at unflattering ammendments by Senator Wilson The law change (House Bill 85) was approved without ammendment by the legislature on April 27, 2006.

This law is the second law in two years that was sponsored by Democratic Representative Pricilla Taylor and Republican Senator Carey Baker. Both bills were designed to improve the safety of the States 100,000 licensed security officers while they were on duty. The co-operation that crossed party lines proves that Florida is concerned with the front line officers that protect the citizens and visitors to the state.

House Bill 85 states, in brief: Whenever any person is charged with knowingly committing an assault or battery upon a person licensed as a security officer, while the officer is engaged in the lawful performance of his or her duties, that person may be charged: In the case of assault with a first degree misdemeanor punishable by up to one year. In the case of battery with a 3rd
    degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison. In the case of aggravated assault with a 2nd degree felony punishable by 15 years in prison, and in the case of aggravated battery with a 1st degree felony punishable by 30 years in prison.

For complete text of the new law, as passed, go to www.flsenate.gov and enter HB 85 in the "Search Bill" box on the left side of the page.
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Now theres a step in the right direction.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

its not law yet. its waiting to be signed by governor.
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Still a step in the right direction if you ask me.
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Yea its a start. now instead of a guy saying " i beat up a security guard tonight." and his friend going good thing he wasnt a cop then ud be in real trouble". now his friend goes wheres johnny and the friend said he hit a security guard last night. hes still in jail did you know its a felony now hes in deep crap.

Comment

I believe the bill becomes law come July 1st. So it's already passed the Gov's desk with approval.

HB 85 - Assault or Battery

GENERAL BILL by Taylor (CO-SPONSORS) Baxley; Brutus

Assault or Battery: Provides for reclassification of an assault or battery on a licensed security officer or specified non-sworn law enforcement agency employee; provides applicability.

Effective Date: July 1, 2006, and shall apply to offenses committed on or after that date.

Last Event: In Messages on Friday, April 28, 2006 6:49 PM

Florida House webspace: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sectio...x?BillId=31572
            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

where did yoiu get that info that it passed the governors desk. it hasnt been sent to bush yet. See on the webpage where it says enrolled that means the next stop is the governors desk. It would say signed by governor. The effective date is if signed into law.
              Last edited by bigdog; 05-02-2006, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Apparently it's on his desk. But nothing yet. I got an email today as follows:

Good afternoon:

We have not received positive word that Governor Bush has signed this bill yet. We know that it was passed by the House and sent to the Governor's Office for approval. If you want to send me another e-mail in a couple of days, I will be happy to share with you the latest news we have.

Ken Wilkinson
                Management Analyst
                Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
                Division of Licensing
                Post Office Box 6687
                Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687
                TEL: 850-245-5665
                FAX: 850-245-5655

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X