Unarmed Security guard Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    ....Someone once told me, "They'll go back to private screeners, because the private companies know how to save money, unlike the federal government."......
    No question about it, private companies do save money. Unfortunately, it's the fat-cat shareholders who reap the benefits, not the little security guy at the bottom of their financial pyramids.

Just look at the private security sector to confirm that.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

That's gonna be why. They have access to a ton of cash, as part of the general budget, so they can afford to have such a high man-hour rate. Look at the Transportation Security Agency. I understand their screener program is leaking like a sieve.

Someone once told me, "They'll go back to private screeners, because the private companies know how to save money, unlike the federal government." Low and behold, several airports have private screeners now, because there is no cost savings when factoring in performance to use federal TSA screeners.

I'm part time currently and when I get on full time with a PD I will take a nice pay cut. Last year i didn't work much overtime and I still took home $35K before taxes. Not bad for a part timer.
      http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Originally posted by darrell
        I'm part time currently and when I get on full time with a PD I will take a nice pay cut. Last year i didn't work much overtime and I still took home $35K before taxes. Not bad for a part timer.
        Our PD starts at 39-40K. Working for a PD at less than 35K with the additional risk doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          Our PD starts at 39-40K. Working for a PD at less than 35K with the additional risk doesn't make sense to me.
          Thats for full time though. If I was fulltime I would make 40K or more a year..

MOst of the departments here start between $25-42K a year.

Only a few departments make more.

Warren, MI $55K a year
          Sterling Heights, Mi $55K a year
          Marysville, Mi $53K a year

They all top out close to $80K w/o overtime after X number of years as a patrolman.

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Originally posted by darrell
            Thats for full time though. If I was fulltime I would make 40K or more a year..
            That's my point. Why take the cut just to be a cop?

Comment

Its what i want to be. That and it would be full time and I would have benifits.

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Its not about the money, its about the job. Why risk yourself as a security guard for seven bucks an hour when you can wait tables for nine?
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                  Its not about the money, its about the job. Why risk yourself as a security guard for seven bucks an hour when you can wait tables for nine?
                  When you have a family, the money is a deciding factor. I know that liking a job has its place to. Nevertheless, most of us work to put food on the table and care for the needs of our family. That takes priority over liking a job. If you can have it both ways, then fine. Otherwise, you do what's best for your family and that means accepting the job that pays well.

Comment

I dont know if Darrell has a family to support, I sure dont. I would take a cop job over my security one. There arent any depts. I know of where it would be a pay cut from what I am making now though.
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

The only family i have is my car payment, cell bill and a loan.. lol

I live with some heels if that counts. Mom and dad and a sis.

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Because security is a job. McDonald's is a job.

Being a cop is something entirely different these days, its like a calling to the priesthood. The fringe benefits associated with being a police officer aren't factored into that salary, either.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Because security is a job. McDonald's is a job.

Being a cop is something entirely different these days, its like a calling to the priesthood. The fringe benefits associated with being a police officer aren't factored into that salary, either.
                          The fringe benefits add up pretty quick. I think my package is "valued" at $20K. That doesn't include death benefits.
                          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                          -Lieutenant Commander Data
                          sigpic

Comment

.... The fringe benefits associated with being a police officer aren't factored into that salary, either.
                            You mean like getting:
                            - Assaulted
                            - Shot
                            - Run over
                            - Disabled
                            - Killed

You're right. That isn't factored into most police officers salary. The pay just isn't commensurate with the risk. However, your analogy about the priesthood and LE is a good explanation of why someone would want to be a police officer in view of the danger.

Comment

You mean like getting:
                              - Assaulted
                              - Shot
                              - Run over
                              - Disabled
                              - Killed

You're right. That isn't factored into most police officers salary. The pay just isn't commensurate with the risk. However, your analogy about the priesthood and LE is a good explanation of why someone would want to be a police officer in view of the danger.
                              Fairfax County buried its first officer killed in the line of duty in its 66 year history. Detective Vicki Armel, master shooter, first female officer in Northern Virginia to fire a perfect score with a sidearm five times in a row.
                              She leaves behind a husband, also a Fairfax County police officer, and two young children.
                              When this nut case started shooting, she did not take cover but returned fire and struck the subject three times before being struck with multiple 7.92 rounds, an AK-47 type firearm. The rounds cut through her armor like a hot knife through butter. It was reported he fired over 70 rounds.
                              You leave the job only when you can't support your family on the pay to include overtime or what you have seen starts to affect your mind.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                                Fairfax County buried its first officer killed in the line of duty in its 66 year history. Detective Vicki Armel, master shooter, first female officer in Northern Virginia to fire a perfect score with a sidearm five times in a row.
                                She leaves behind a husband, also a Fairfax County police officer, and two young children.
                                When this nut case started shooting, she did not take cover but returned fire and struck the subject three times before being struck with multiple 7.92 rounds, an AK-47 type firearm. The rounds cut through her armor like a hot knife through butter. It was reported he fired over 70 rounds.
                                You leave the job only when you can't support your family on the pay to include overtime or what you have seen starts to affect your mind.
                                Enjoy the day,
                                Bill
                                I hadn't heard about that one yet. What a heart breaker.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X