punctuation and spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• punctuation and spelling

It's late, I've been writing reports all day, except for when I was studying for IFPO CPO, so maybe I'm just contrary and overly-critical...but I don't think I am, so here goes...

You know, it's really no wonder that the public's perception of security guards is in the crapper. I've been reading some recent posts here tonight, and have found some unforgivable and really glaring spelling and punctuation errors.

Simple stuff like the 's' in plurals versus possessives, "its" (possessive) and "it's" (a contraction of 'it is') is mixed up so badly I can barely read the posts.
    Yes, yes, so maybe someone isn't terribly familiar with the english language, well it that's the case, why are they working in an english environment (generally)?
    Maybe they can't type well. Sure, I guess, but would anybody like to tell me exactly what the hell this means? - "Where is here some web gallery about site creators?I'm need it."

These people are writing reports. Gods help their supervisors.

wjohnc
    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Originally posted by wjohnc
    It's late, I've been writing reports all day, except for when I was studying for IFPO CPO, so maybe I'm just contrary and overly-critical...but I don't think I am, so here goes...

You know, it's really no wonder that the public's perception of security guards is in the crapper. I've been reading some recent posts here tonight, and have found some unforgivable and really glaring spelling and punctuation errors.

Simple stuff like the 's' in plurals versus possessives, "its" (possessive) and "it's" (a contraction of 'it is') is mixed up so badly I can barely read the posts.
    Yes, yes, so maybe someone isn't terribly familiar with the english language, well it that's the case, why are they working in an english environment (generally)?
    Maybe they can't type well. Sure, I guess, but would anybody like to tell me exactly what the hell this means? - "Where is here some web gallery about site creators?I'm need it."

These people are writing reports. Gods help their supervisors.

wjohnc
    I tend write informally on here. My reports, on the other hand, are meticulously written.
    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

It's also quite funny how you can have an officer with an English major become a cop/security officer and 4 years later- shazzam! Thier reports reflect the way they speak on the street and the "clients" they deal with. Its almost a case of dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. Then there's the supervisors who wouldn't understand what you wrote anyway and want you to " rewrite it so I can read it".
      Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

further explanation

Originally posted by Tennsix
        I tend write informally on here. My reports, on the other hand, are meticulously written.
        Yes, sir, I agree with you. I, too, as I'm sure many others do, write informally here. But perhaps you are missing my point.

This is a forum. A place where one posts a text idea or viewpoint, and others respond for counterpoint, to add new ideas, or whatever. Is it not polite, and indeed professional - because professionalism, like courtesy, knows no bounds - to 'speak' in here in a manner easily understandable to all?

I'm saying that if this forum were a physical entity, with a building and meetings, that it would be acceptable for people to speak their ideas with profanity, with mumbles, with food in their mouths? No, of course it would not as this is not professional, courteous, nor respectful.

(Not to mention what if says about the individual 'speaking with their mouth full')

wjohnc
        Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
        "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Ok, I understand now.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

wjohnc
            Did you mean to write "well IF that's the case"?

And I don't understand this statement. I live & work in Quebec where the offical language is French. I'm English. Do you mean to say that I don't have the right to earn a living?
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
              Did you mean to write "well IF that's the case"?
              Yes. Yes, I did. A mistake, an error.

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
              And I don't understand this statement. I live & work in Quebec where the offical language is French. I'm English. Do you mean to say that I don't have the right to earn a living?
              No, jeez, no. I said english environment generally (the 'generally' part was written for you HS, but also applies to people working in other non-english environments).

Gods, I make one post about the very obvious and deplorable state of basic language skills - spelling and punctuation - in some posts, and everybody gets right on the defensive.

wjohnc
              who's sorry he brought up the topic in the first place

Comment

Well, no, not really. I've always been the one to rock the boat - it's how I learned to swim.

wjohnc

Comment

Gods, I make one post about the very obvious and deplorable state of basic language skills - spelling and punctuation - in some posts, and everybody gets right on the defensive.

wjohnc
                  Not everybody, just me .Sorry but I'm very touchy on language issues. In my life time they've tried to make English illegal in Quebec. This tends to make you touchy on the subject. Nothing personal!

Comment

wjohnc

Think how i feel, i live in a country where we spell "tyre" you spell it as "tire" Then there's "colour" or "color". How many more?
                    We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

Originally posted by crankloud
                      Think how i feel, i live in a country where we spell "tyre" you spell it as "tire" Then there's "colour" or "color". How many more?
                      You are not alone. It's colour, honour here too! But it's tire. Do you have trucks or lorries? Elevators or lifts?

Comment

We have trucks. and it's lifts or elevators, we haven't decided yet.
                        We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

Suggestion

Anyone can make mistakes in this area. Personally, I like to cut and paste my post in Microsoft Word and check it for spelling and grammar before posting it here. Maybe the forum administrator will add this feature down the road.

PS - Cause reeding and righten is import-tent.
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

In my case I have to keep remembering that I can not use Franglais! (OK I'll save you Googling it): Franglais is a mixture of Francais & Anglais (English) used in Quebec. We are so used to it that we don't realize that others might not understand! Examples: Police dossier instead of Police record, vestiaire instead of checkroom & there are many many others. We use them in English & the French speaking people use English ones. It can get "interesting".
                            C'est tout f*ckie (It's all messed up) can be heard on the police radio or by students talking to each other in front of teachers. The "f" word does not exist in French & is not generally known to be a swear word.
                            Last edited by HotelSecurity; 05-06-2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I'd prefer people just expressed their opinions and didn't sweat the details, Course that's just my opinion. I don't expect every security guard to be a Rhodes Scholar!.

Just do what I do. Whenever you see something grammatically wrong or misspelled just take satisfaction in knowing your probably MUCH smarter then that other guy and it's probably just a matter of time before the rest of the world realizes it.

On one site I use to post at we had members from all over the world. Sometimes their english was awful, almost laughable, but if you could overlook the poor grammar they often raised good points. And god forbid I should try and write in their native language!.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X