Cops and Reckless Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A no-win situation

I empathize with the frustration that the police feel when formal complaints are filed against them, even when justified. The challenge with police work is that most citizens don't bother to commend the police when they do things right. However, if they step out of line just once, the people that they have sworn to protect are lining up to lodge a complaint.

The other side of the coin is that when you do commend a police officer, they look at you suspiciously as if you have some sort of agenda or selfish intent to get on their good side. I have found that many police officers have difficulties with human relationships. Depression, divorce, and suicide plague the police as a result of "stuffing" their emotions and feelings in an effort to always be in control.

Dealing with the bad and ugly side of humanity on a daily basis can get to anyone. I don't have the solution. But anyone who is especially empathetic and conscientious will likely have trouble in this line of work. Another reason why it's not for me.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
      I used to think a lot like you on this in terms of the speed issue. And I still do to an extent. I understand why the highway patrol goes 90 in the 65s low, they are closing the distance between them and speeders. So I can see why they speed without lights and siren in that case........
      Agreed. It's one thing to exceed the posted limit on a limited access highway and another to do it on the back roads where unsuspecting motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians are at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        I empathize with the frustration that the police feel when formal complaints are filed against them, even when justified. The challenge with police work is that most citizens don't bother to commend the police when they do things right. However, if they step out of line just once, the people that they have sworn to protect are lining up to lodge a complaint.

The other side of the coin is that when you do commend a police officer, they look at you suspiciously as if you have some sort of agenda or selfish intent to get on their good side. I have found that many police officers have difficulties with human relationships. Depression, divorce, and suicide plague the police as a result of "stuffing" their emotions and feelings in an effort to always be in control.

Dealing with the bad and ugly side of humanity on a daily basis can get to anyone. I don't have the solution. But anyone who is especially empathetic and conscientious will likely have trouble in this line of work. Another reason why it's not for me.
        Well, I like to think of myself as conscientious. I don't lock up everyone that bends the law a little or write a ticket on every traffic stop. I think the human equation is a very important element of the profession. Don't sell your self short.
        I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
        -Lieutenant Commander Data
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
          Well, I like to think of myself as conscientious. I don't lock up everyone that bends the law a little or write a ticket on every traffic stop. I think the human equation is a very important element of the profession. Don't sell your self short.
          Well said Tennsix. As I learned in the Sheriff Academy in the early 1970s, as with pilots, "There are old pilots and there are old pilots; there are no old bold pilots." Conversely, there are no old bold LEOs. The chief instructor was a vet from Korea, Air Force F-86 pilot, now a Highway Colonel with the County Sheriff.
          Back after major surgery.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
            ...... Don't sell your self short.
            Thanks, I think.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X