Cops and Reckless Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tennsix
    ..... The supervisor can always direct an officer to terminate.....
    Makes sense. Good point.

I don't like that either, unless there is air support and the pursuing officers are completely out of sight.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
      -Lieutenant Commander Data
      sigpic

Comment

That's the way other LE departments should handle it to. There are times when pursuits MUST be made. Otherwise, law and order quickly breaks down once the criminals learn that they can run. Pursuit bans also demoralize the police who feel that if the public doesn't care, why should they?
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Montreal uses the system where the dispatcher notifies a Supervisor every time a chase begins & it is up to him or her to monitor it & call it off when it becomes dangerous. I estimate 90%+ are called off . We used to have a police helicopter which was really useful & avoided a lot of chases but the old budget cut-backs chopped the chopper!
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

The only time I have seen county do a few things that botherd me is on a few occassions they were responding to some calls and came threw my neighborhood rather fast. No light, no siren. Not even thier corner running light strobes. After a few comments at the community watch meetings that stopped. They run thier lightbars and forwards now if they are responding to calls that need to be on slient approach. I use to do that and killed my lights when I was close enough to the call and backed the speed off. I am pro law enforcement as one can get. It never leaves the blood no matter how long you are away from it. But I do tend to speak my mind when this new breed of LEO in this day and age gets a little to off course. Sure, a few old school ones are still out there but even they know thier limitations. Now as for LPD, those guys are Tony Stewart time bombs. Yes, I think prime experience always is the key in the use of a vehicle for any kind of use.
            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

I agree with you whole heartedly. But after a few tragic accidents and an uproar over the poor fleeing criminal being chased by the police for a simple shooting- well you know the vote hungry mayor had to do something. Its a sad day indeed when the criminals know you just have too get a few blocks away at top speed and dump the car- you're home free! As in everything politicians fix for us it's all or nothing.
              Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                I don't think that is very likely.
                It certainly isn't a likely scenario. I have heard of it, but I can only think of that as the only time I would make an issue out of it. I have never seen it happen.
                "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
                  ...He told the sergeant he knew I was going too fast, because:

a) He had a scanner and "didn't think an accident was a priority call", and

b) He had a radar on his dash so he knew exactly how fast I was going (55 in a 45).

Yeah, he eventually went way overboard and added a few red strobes to his grill...
                  LOL! Somebody really should make a regular comic strip about guys like that.
                  "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                    Montreal uses the system where the dispatcher notifies a Supervisor every time a chase begins & it is up to him or her to monitor it & call it off when it becomes dangerous. I estimate 90%+ are called off . We used to have a police helicopter which was really useful & avoided a lot of chases but the old budget cut-backs chopped the chopper!
                    Dallas has a notification policy like that as well. Most I have heard of were not called off though.

Comment

about 5 yrs ago now i was walking home with my younger brother who had one foot bandaged and was pushing a bike.because he had a sore foot he went around the pathway and i ran down the side of the hill.along came a police car and pulled up my brother as it was dark and the police didnt see me in the shadow,this officer decided to come right up in my brothers face and accuse him of riding a bike without a helmet my brother replied that he was not riding the bike because he has a sore foot and didnt want to risk hurting further at that point i saw the officer edging his foot closer to my brothers.i walked out of the shadow and asked the officer what the problem was he replied he was just having a friendly chat with this young man and to mind my own buissiness.he then got in his car and left.when we got home we told mum what had happened so she went down to the police station and made a complaint.funny thing was the person who took the complaint was the one that she was complaining about and nothing was done about it until my uncle got posted at that station as his new boss.

Comment

I used to think a lot like you on this in terms of the speed issue. And I still do to an extent. I understand why the highway patrol goes 90 in the 65s low, they are closing the distance between them and speeders. So I can see why they speed without lights and siren in that case. What I don't like though is how they don't use their turn signals, they hardly ever do. Thats just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
                          I used to think a lot like you on this in terms of the speed issue. And I still do to an extent. I understand why the highway patrol goes 90 in the 65s low, they are closing the distance between them and speeders. So I can see why they speed without lights and siren in that case. What I don't like though is how they don't use their turn signals, they hardly ever do. Thats just stupid.
                          Man, I hate to say this.... Mayor, I agree with you.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Tennsix

Comment

I've seen some close calls with PD units that had nothing to do with responding to calls. Once after doing DOT inspections at our gate two police cars were leaving. As they normally do they took off fast and turned out a one way lane the wrong way as they headed to our exit. This time a truck was coming down our main road. The first unit almost side-swiped the truck but slammed on his breaks just in time. The second unit came within inches of rear ending the first one.

Comment

That sounds like Roscoe and Enis.
                                sigpic

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X