Gatehouse facilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatehouse facilities

I'm interested to know what facilities are provided for those who work in a gatehouse. A gatehouse at a site (large areospace company) I once worked at had a small kitchenette (instant hot water heater, microwave, fridge etc), inside toilet, air conditioning, telephone, computers etc. Whereas at another site (industrial giant) the gatehouse was nothing more than a small portable building style shed with a bench, chair, light, fan heater and telephone.

I have heard that a remote site somewhere here in Australia even has a accommodation facility so that guards can sleep there between shifts if necessary.

Whats your experience with gatehouse's??

For me, it's somewhere between the two you describe.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

We only have an old ticket booth, which as I mentioned in another thread has a history of being hit. We have a phone, a light, and a fan heater.

Comment

At Boeing where I work, they take pretty good care of us. Down side - most of the guardshacks are old, non uniform (some have bathrooms some don't etc.) and in some cases not mounted in a good location. On the plus side they all have electrical, heating/ac, computers with internet access (needed for our job), microwaves, water coolers. Some have bathrooms in them but not many. Most of our guard houses are spacious and can hold a couple of us comfortably. A few are huge (a couple thousand sq feet) and a couple are extremely tiny.

Comment

From what I see around here between the phosphate, citrus, storage and processing plants they look to be prebuilt sheds on sleds or pallets. The only places that look to have a decent structure are the private living and golf communities. Port-a-jon gets a lot of business from contract I bet. These prebuilts always end up in another town come the hurricance season. Along with the port-a-jons.
          My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Gatehouse

[QUOTE=Group4Securitas]I'm interested to know what facilities are provided for those who work in a gatehouse. QUOTE]

We have about 80 square feet..... microwave, refrig, bottled water dispenser and paper cups, phone, computer, TV, A/C and heat, bathroom. Pleasant but very busy.
            If you can't see the humor, leave your gun at the door!

Comment

I've never worked a gate house. I have worked pre-fab structures that are called "ticket booths" by the manufacturer, and are rated for a maximum of 4 hour occupancy. The shifts are usually 12 hours in those.

Heater? That eats up client electricity - the client will shut the power to the shack off.

Telephone? That costs the client money, bring a cell phone, 911 is a free call.

Bathroom? Um, there's a 7-11 down the road, but you are not allowed to leave your post, best be able to go to the head the first six hours during the patrol period of your shift.

Chairs? One. Fold up kind.

Putting anything else in there was prohibited.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                I've never worked a gate house. I have worked pre-fab structures that are called "ticket booths" by the manufacturer, and are rated for a maximum of 4 hour occupancy. The shifts are usually 12 hours in those.

Heater? That eats up client electricity - the client will shut the power to the shack off.

Telephone? That costs the client money, bring a cell phone, 911 is a free call.

Bathroom? Um, there's a 7-11 down the road, but you are not allowed to leave your post, best be able to go to the head the first six hours during the patrol period of your shift.

Chairs? One. Fold up kind.

Putting anything else in there was prohibited.
                Did they provide a breathable athmopshere?
                I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                -Lieutenant Commander Data
                sigpic

Comment

No. The atmosphere was soaked with JP4.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    No. The atmosphere was soaked with JP4.
                    DId they at least post a "No Smoking" sign???
                    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                    -Lieutenant Commander Data
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                      DId they at least post a "No Smoking" sign???
                      Of course not. The day shift guy was a chain smoker.

Comment

I've not worked in many places as a security officer but the 2 posts I've been assigned at the 2 sites I've worked at each had a restroom, climate control, refridgerator and microwave. The buildings were always large enough for several people and usually have a phone line for internet access. So far I've been lucky to not be assigned to work in what we call "the phone booth" shack.
                        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Guard Shack

Ever have a guard who leaves the door open during the evening shift so that when you do the midnight shift, you spend the first hour killing all the flies, mosquitoes, moths, etc. that flew in during his shift?
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Heck yes. In fact, I work with a guy who is cool natured and wears a jacket when it's 75 degrees in the shack. I'm constantly trying to keep it cool in the shack, I like it around 70, and he's always opening windows and doors letting bugs in.
                            Hospital Security Officer

Comment

re

When I worked apartment security, we had a 8x8 house Hexagone shape, I would start at about dark and work till 6am, no a/c and had a 20,000 btu kerosene heater for the winter, so i worked the winter with the windows up, we had a phone, everthing else I got by dumpster diving, radios tv's bar stool a small cabnet, books, etc. of course I waited until late at night to do my foraging, today with ebay you could make quite a decent living doing apartment security and dumpster diving

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X