different jobs...different rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different jobs...different rules

I work at a mall and also a College campus, two different companties.... and sometimes it gets crazy

The mall, we carry OC spray foam and cuffs. Thankfully Iv only ALMOST had to use either only once. All because of Ms. Victoria Secrets (Imagin that fight folks)

The college campus. We carry nothing All we carry is morris watchman type of thing. They limit everything we do. If I wanted to use a Vest, I need to invest in it myself

Does anyone else feel that fustration.....your employer ties your hands behind ya and limits how you can protect yourself?

Originally posted by Jstar571 View Post
    Does anyone else feel that frustration.....your employer ties your hands behind ya and limits how you can protect yourself?

Don't you mean employer/client limiting your ability to endanger their insurance rating by actually doing something?

FWIW at least you're permitted to purchase/own a protective vest, such items here are prohibited/restricted for anyone but the LEOs (and those who don't abide by the laws to begin with)
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I am a police officer part time and an in house security officer full time, so I know full well how challenging it can be.

Especially in a place like WI, where so many things relating to private security are murky at best, and become even worse with proprietary security

ETA: At least at my in house gig I carry a full duty rig minus gun (although, IMO, we really need it based on where we work and what we do). Not all the officers are able to do this though, so my backup is spotty at best. Not to mention, I'm the only guy working the road on midnights; all other officers are at static posts.

Comment

I walk the whole campus

....and deal with everything from drunkin college kids to drunkin city ppl. Iv been close enough to gun shots, that I have had to take cover and figure out where it was coming from.

At my main job, we depend on the campus cops to be our back up,but they are either at base BS'in or sleeping. If something would happen to me or any of the people I work with, nobody would be able to find us for hours due to how many buildings and locations we walk.

Over 70 buildings

Comment

Here in North Carolina

It is against state law for any non-sworn law enforcement officer to carry any firearm (or ammo) on any property owned or controlled by any educational institutional. You can't even have a gun in your car (even if you have a concealed carry permit). I work as a non sworn security officer for a campus police department at a mid sized (more than 3200 undergrad students) univerisity. A few years ago 'they' took away our ASP batons because 'they' were afraid of getting sued. In theory we could carry pepper spray but an officer must go through a traning course first and get sprayed in the face. I have been working here almost 4 years and the course has NEVER been taught. My only defense is a bright flashlight (180+ lumens).
          I suspect the only reason I get away with carrying the extra bright light is 'they' don't know. I work a permanment 3rd shift 10pm to 6 am. There more I read here in the forums about the way contract security is treated by their bosses or clients, the more I am glad I am 'in house'. I am paid more than many of the local small town cops are paid. I did not get a pay raise this year because of the economy but I still get 4 weeks of paid vacation plus 13 holidays each year.

Comment

This is even more frustrating when you work different posts for the same company. I am a commissioned officer for my company and usually function as such. However, the post I am standing at the moment prohibits any weapons at all. Most of the site is actually public property with a few small areas we actually have "authority " over.

Then, I could be at a bank, then a non-com post, then a com post, then back on patrol. It changes daily and can be a little irritating...

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
              I could be at a bank, then a non-com post, then a com post, then back on patrol. It changes daily and can be a little irritating...

Ah... variety is the spice of life & should help prevent boredom

Each site has different rules because every site has different client expectations, aspirations & directives (and misconceptions), sounds like you could use a 'duty rig collection' again dougo83
              "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                Ah... variety is the spice of life & should help prevent boredom

Each site has different rules because every site has different client expectations, aspirations & directives (and misconceptions), sounds like you could use a 'duty rig collection' again dougo83
                I cannot wait to have the available funds to purchase more gear. I prefer not having to shuffle hear on and off of my belts. It gets tedious and it never seems to go back together quite like it was before. Actually, I would like to have multiple set-ups for com and non-com posts. Maybe a set of nylon and another set of leather for each one. Some posts prefer the more 'dressed up' look of leather over nylon while some want/require the more durable nylon gear. Who knows. Maybe this current endeavor I have in mind will afford me that chance.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X