X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Some of them may certify you as a NY State Peace Officer.
    None of the places I mentioned will.

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by nyspo
    other than a nys guard license do you know if any of them require more?
    UR & BOCES want a degree and you'll need to take a civil service test to work at BOCES or MCC.

All the rest are open to anyone with a security license, but good luck at RIT, they haven't hired anyone off the street in awhile.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    The 3 hotels I supervise are owned by 1 main owner with different partners at each.They are all set up as their own companies. So in reality I work for 3 different companies! I get tax papers from 2 since one of the hotels provides the security service to the other & a "charge back" is made.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    We have a fill-in guy who works full time for a refinery and on the side works for 3 different contract Security companies as available. I hesitate to work 2 jobs so I don't know how this guy does it.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Most companies distrust employees who work for two companies for two reasons:

1. They're selling or giving the company secrets to competitors.
    2. They're not awake from working two jobs.

Leave a comment:

• FederalSecurity
    replied
    Right now I am working for two security organizations, and from what I'm

told by the full-time organization, it's allowable only if there is no conflict of

interest. What exactly defines conflict of interest? That's up to the

individual organization.

As for the question about the choice to work more than one job, especially

if they are both security positions, there are those of us out there who have

come to appreciate and even become a bit fanatical about our security

positions as well as the nature of the security industry or sector in general.

In my personal situation, I believe that both of my security positions each

deal with a different aspect of the industry as a whole. My full-time federal

position deals with using deadly force against threats to national security, and

my part-time private position deals more with less-than-lethal, hands-on

duties such as breaking up fights, subject transport, and good ol' door-

rattling, window-knocking, shadow-snooping site protection. I choose to

have two separate security positions because each position provides a

different form of satisfaction to me.

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied
    Most of the companies here in Florida do not seem to care that you work for another outfit as long as it does not conflict your hours. But there a couple that I have heard threw the rumor mill that do not want an employee to work another job. Especially if it's secuirty. I guess if you had some other none security job it would not really matter. Personally if I could swing two jobs and get ahead for a while it would be worth the constant run around. The burn out part does concern me. I am getting to old for this burning candles at both ends stuff. But if the calls stay down like they are with this job the full time one I get will be days and maybe I can swing it. If it gets too crazy I guess one can always quit one of them. A couple have called me this week and want me to come in for an interview.

Leave a comment:

• ozsecuritychic
    replied
    when i first started i worked for 3 different companies.the 1st was the relief position (now full time)the second was functions and bank work,the 3rd was functions,watching hsc papers ect. i would work for whoever called to book me first.now that i am permanent at the mall(ist job) i sometimes work for the 3rd company but no longer work for number 2 because the guy abused me because my fiancee answered my house ph so i told him to do a couple of rude things to himself and never worked for them again.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Some of them may certify you as a NY State Peace Officer.

Leave a comment:

• nyspo
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackhole
    University of Rochester Security Services
    RIT Campus Safety
    MCC Public Safety (pseudo-police)
    Monroe #1 BOCES Department of School Safety & Security (worked there)
    Rochester General Hospital Security

other than a nys guard license do you know if any of them require more?

Leave a comment:

• The Lord of the Keys
    replied
    I asked the question because full time for Guardsmark don't pay the bills and overtime is to sporadic, besides I enjoy security work.

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by nyspo
    wow who in rochester would you recommend to work for
    University of Rochester Security Services
    RIT Campus Safety
    MCC Public Safety (pseudo-police)
    Monroe #1 BOCES Department of School Safety & Security (worked there)
    Rochester General Hospital Security

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I've never had that problem, with the licensing, as the state decides who gets a license, not the company.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    I dont know about State Law on working for 2 companies. Most companies I have been to forbid it though. Because they dont want to license you and have you use it at another job too.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
    I got to ask why would one want to work for two security companies. Seems like a good way to get burned out. I can understand if you work for an average company you might want to make more money, but 1)typically they schedule you even on days off and 2) talk about burn out. So why take the problems you face with one company and multiply it? If money is an issue and you want two jobs why not have your second job be something completely different? just my thoughts.
    The company may not have enough hours for you at a site close to where you live and they don't have any other accounts in the area. Another company has an account close by with some p/t hours. You can work both sites w/o commuting.

As far as something different, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X