Working for more than one company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for more than one company

I've known guards who were working for both a contract company and doing security in house at another location, but I've never seen anyone employed by two contract companies at the same time. I've heard that in New York State you can not be registered with two companies but I'm not sure if this is true or it is merely the policy of most companies to not let you work for a competitor. I'd like to know if anybody has more information on this.

It's definitely not true in NYS. In 2002, I was working for 2 security contractors, Securitas and and a small company owned by a police officer friend.

Comment

I doubt the bureau is against it, but my company does not allow it.

Comment

I knew one officer who was working for Guardsmark and Securitas at the same time. Guardsmark knew about it, but they were desperate. I don't think the DOPS would approve. However, if the opportunity presented itself, I might be tempted.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

secuitas

Originally posted by Jackhole
          It's definitely not true in NYS. In 2002, I was working for 2 security contractors, Securitas and and a small company owned by a police officer friend.

i was wondering how is securitas to work for?

Comment

Wisconsin allows it.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by nyspo
              Bad. I had a good site supervisor and we were on the automotive contract so we were separated from most of the BS that the rest of the company had to deal with, but it was still pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                Bad. I had a good site supervisor and we were on the automotive contract so we were separated from most of the BS that the rest of the company had to deal with, but it was still pretty bad.

wow who in rochester would you recommend to work for

Comment

There isn't any one large company that is always the best choice. It really depends on the account, account manager, individual s/o's and so forth. You could work for Guardsmark, Securitas, or Wackenhut and have a great experience at one site, and a terrible one at another site contracted with the same company. Some officers will work in a location where the company has several accounts so that they can ask for a transfer if things aren't going well at the first site.

Even if you find a great site, guards, account managers, client facility managers, come and go. All it takes is one idiot to change the whole situation. Just be flexible, a team player, and try to ride out any rough spots. Sooner or later, you'll find your niche.

Comment

I got to ask why would one want to work for two security companies. Seems like a good way to get burned out. I can understand if you work for an average company you might want to make more money, but 1)typically they schedule you even on days off and 2) talk about burn out. So why take the problems you face with one company and multiply it? If money is an issue and you want two jobs why not have your second job be something completely different? just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
                      I got to ask why would one want to work for two security companies. Seems like a good way to get burned out. I can understand if you work for an average company you might want to make more money, but 1)typically they schedule you even on days off and 2) talk about burn out. So why take the problems you face with one company and multiply it? If money is an issue and you want two jobs why not have your second job be something completely different? just my thoughts.
                      The company may not have enough hours for you at a site close to where you live and they don't have any other accounts in the area. Another company has an account close by with some p/t hours. You can work both sites w/o commuting.

As far as something different, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Comment

I dont know about State Law on working for 2 companies. Most companies I have been to forbid it though. Because they dont want to license you and have you use it at another job too.
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I've never had that problem, with the licensing, as the state decides who gets a license, not the company.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

wow who in rochester would you recommend to work for
                            University of Rochester Security Services
                            RIT Campus Safety
                            MCC Public Safety (pseudo-police)
                            Monroe #1 BOCES Department of School Safety & Security (worked there)
                            Rochester General Hospital Security

Comment

I asked the question because full time for Guardsmark don't pay the bills and overtime is to sporadic, besides I enjoy security work.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X