Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Confiscate SPO's Badge and Gun After Off Duty Chase

Boston, MA:
    O'Brien Gomez, 24, an armed security guard employed by Alliance Detective and Security and licensed as a special police officer by the Boston Police Department had his badge and gun confiscated after police responded to a call about a man being chased by a man with a gun. Police pulled over Gomez, who was chasing a suspect he believed broke into his car in his personal vehicle while armed. The law there states that SPO's may only be armed while on duty.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...ticleid=135872
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Whoops. Idiot.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Looks like the power got to him.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Respect mah authoritah!
        Wait, I'm off and don't have my uniform and I'm not supposed to carry my gun right now. Oh, to heck with it.
        Respect mah authoritah!
        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Only thing is i dont agree with this law at all. If he is a officer and certified i dont belive that boston should tell him he can only carry on duty.

President Bush signed into law the National Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act. It is suppose to allow officers to carry off deuty in all 50 states. However I think when the law was passed it didnt include reserve officers. If you look into the case history of not allowing officers to carry you will find many got killed because of it and could not protect his and his family. People in government such as ted kennedy were against the law and bush signing it into law. Kennedy stated im afraid of retired cops carrying sniper rifles and hand granades. With such a law crime will be lower homeland security will be even better. And also with CCW Laws make the same happen. You take away the good persons right to carry it and the bad people have it then no one should complain when every violent crime goes up.

Stay Safe All

Comment

Last edited by Tennsix; 04-23-2006, 07:24 PM.
            I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
            -Lieutenant Commander Data
            sigpic

Comment

But by law they are covered, just not by dept policy. So I know Im still a little ignorant in this new law... I think a lot of us are... but I would think with the new law LEOs could carry off duty and if they were caught doing it by their LEA, they could only be effected to the point of termination, not arrest. I dont think Dept. Policy can remove a legal granting can it?
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                But by law they are covered, just not by dept policy. So I know Im still a little ignorant in this new law... I think a lot of us are... but I would think with the new law LEOs could carry off duty and if they were caught doing it by their LEA, they could only be effected to the point of termination, not arrest. I dont think Dept. Policy can remove a legal granting can it?
                The law is negated if a PD has a contradictory policy. A PD may enact a policy that is more stringent than the law. Yes, the officer could be arrested.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm ALWAYS armed off duty. Don't think I could ever have a job saying I can't carry off duty. I already have a difficult time with working unarmed security or with an ambulance or fire/rescue company where I'm tild I can't have a weapon on duty but I deal with it. I'd be damned if they say I can't go strapped while walking the street or going shopping.
                  Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                    I'm ALWAYS armed off duty. Don't think I could ever have a job saying I can't carry off duty. I already have a difficult time with working unarmed security or with an ambulance or fire/rescue company where I'm tild I can't have a weapon on duty but I deal with it. I'd be damned if they say I can't go strapped while walking the street or going shopping.
                    Is it really that dangerous where you live?
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I bet no one thought the hallways of a particular high school in Littleton Colorado were that dangerous on April 19, 1999
                      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Keep in mind that the LE carry act specifically provides that specials and private police are NOT covered, and are not authorized to carry under it. It is specifically designed to allow rail road police (the only private agency it covers), but otherwise, you must be a professional sworn law enforcement officer of a municipality, county, state, or federal agency, a professional reserve officer, or a professional part-time officer.

It specifically addressed the "fake cops" or whatever FOP wants to call them.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

For the purposes of this conversation we are speaking of carrying out-of-state while off-duty. Off-duty carry within one's own state is not a problem.

At my PD, part-time officers are not permitted to carry off-duty unless they have prior authorization. THey are sworn police officers but do not undergo field training and have limited duties.
                          Last edited by Tennsix; 04-23-2006, 11:14 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Does your security license cover that or do you have a concealed weapon license?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                              Does your security license cover that or do you have a concealed weapon license?
                              CCW, dude. Had one for years. check it out- http://www.geocities.com/cellblock776/ccw
                              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X