Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wackenhut Loses Contract with U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191941,00.html

DHS ended a contract with TWC citing concerns about the company being foreign-owned in favor of Paragon Systems, a Chantilly Va. based company. Various concerns about Wackenhut were also described in the article.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Originally posted by 1stWatch
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191941,00.html

DHS ended a contract with TWC citing concerns about the company being foreign-owned in favor of Paragon Systems, a Chantilly Va. based company. Various concerns about Wackenhut were also described in the article.
    This does not surprise me. After all there are legitimate concerns of about chain of sensitive information between them and the client. I do not know what kind of secure logistics and communications Wackenhut has but it would seem to be a true concern. If your main base of operations sends and receives data to another country there is the potential for a leak or information being intercepted. The client may have a secure communications network but I wonder if Wackenhut has such set ups. As for employees coming forward and stating there are areas of poor performances and operations then I think the client would also put that into consideration as well. Also DHS and related organizations putting contract security in their own buildings sounds like a cost issue more than a security one. Failing a drill to protect a NPP would get my concerns up to. Strange how this has come about. I was about to go to a local office and apply for a position with their CPO section. Maybe I had better wait and see what comes next? They have a few county contracts here and one state
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

I've expected this for quite awhile, I also expect Securitas (the other Group4 division) to lose accounts shortly after, too. It was my understanding that Pinkerton, upon being bought by Securitas, lost a few accounts on the GSA Schedule, but retained their GSA Schedule. This was due to Securitas being a foreign-owned company.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

When Wackenhut was bought out by Group4, they had to undergo a lot of review by the feds. Basically the way I understand it is although we are owned by a foreign based company it is completly run here in the states (with our Corporate offices in West Palm). The way I understood it was what we pass onto G4S is very limited in operational since. I dunno I remember hearing it someone but don't have all the details sorry

Comment

I am not too concerned with a British-owned company providing sensitive services, such as security, to the U.S. Government. After all, the U.S. and the United Kingdom have had strategic alliances and relationships going all the way back to the Napoleonic Wars. Now, if a mainland Chinese outfit owned the security company.....?

I find the other accusations, the ones about poor performance on drills and sleeping on duty, far more troublesome. I am willing to bet that the new contractor will simply keep on the majority of the Wackenhut guards and the problems will continue. Security guards are security guards, and human nature is human nature, wherever you go.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
            I am not too concerned with a British-owned company providing sensitive services, such as security, to the U.S. Government. After all, the U.S. and the United Kingdom have had strategic alliances and relationships going all the way back to the Napoleonic Wars. Now, if a mainland Chinese outfit owned the security company.....?

I find the other accusations, the ones about poor performance on drills and sleeping on duty, far more troublesome. I am willing to bet that the new contractor will simply keep on the majority of the Wackenhut guards and the problems will continue. Security guards are security guards, and human nature is human nature, wherever you go.
            Indeed. Unless they're able to pull instant manpower out of thin air, they'll keep the existing force.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X