X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by knotquiteawake
    about 70% of my department is African American and Latino, i have no problem with either. However, to expound on what i said and should have clarified, i can see how people become racist, seeing a video like that, and hearing about similar incidents involving minorities makes it very easy to attribute the deviant behavior to a particular race's stereotypical attributes. Seeing such a shocking video like that sparks a desire to hate them and everything about those individuals, in which then race gets included. However, that not being the case for me you can rest assured that i harbor no ill will towards any race, only against those individuals who commit such violent acts as seen in the video.
    I appreciate the sentiment of your rebuttal but people that are so easily influenced by a TV video clip are ignorant (the true meaning of the word). It seems comments, such as yours, are only made when the suspects are of certain ethnic faction.

You would not have made that comment had the suspects been Caucasian. The incident would have been no less horrendous, had the suspects been white. Your inference of race/ethnicity being a factor in this incident is troubling. And yes, you did infer that.

Be careful of what you say and how you say it, especially if three-fourths of your colleagues are black and Latino. You would not have made that comment while in their company
    Last edited by Tennsix; 04-26-2006, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• knotquiteawake
    replied
    about 70% of my department is African American and Latino, i have no problem with either. However, to expound on what i said and should have clarified, i can see how people become racist, seeing a video like that, and hearing about similar incidents involving minorities makes it very easy to attribute the deviant behavior to a particular race's stereotypical attributes. Seeing such a shocking video like that sparks a desire to hate them and everything about those individuals, in which then race gets included. However, that not being the case for me you can rest assured that i harbor no ill will towards any race, only against those individuals who commit such violent acts as seen in the video.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by 1stWatch
    Security dispatchers I've worked around are really bad about that. It is especially annoying when they get loud and abusive right over the radio and you know good and well they have no field experience whatsoever. They believe they are controlling every movement of each incident that goes down. I like to call that kind of dispatcher an "armchair sergeant".
    Isn't is a small world?!

Like Mr. Security, I am a former E911 dispatcher (20 years ago). As much as I hate say it, you are right. There are a lot of police dispatchers like that.

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    Heck, they do the same thing to their own officers!
    Security dispatchers I've worked around are really bad about that. It is especially annoying when they get loud and abusive right over the radio and you know good and well they have no field experience whatsoever. They believe they are controlling every movement of each incident that goes down. I like to call that kind of dispatcher an "armchair sergeant".

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Strangely enough, I've had 911 dispatchers get pissed off if your not right there to give them real-time infomation. This only happens after you identify yourself as security, because the 911 dispatcher usually asks who you are when your reporting these things.
    Heck, they do the same thing to their own officers!

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I hate racism. Laws cannot solve this problem because it stems from one's heart. It is a learned behavior but, fortunately, one that can be unlearned. It exists in police departments and security as well. I remember one incident with a Miami-Dade police officer (a major; off duty) that was driving through Georgia (SC ?). He was stopped by a deputy who had been warned by a judge to stop profiling black motorists who used this part of the highway on their way to and from Florida.

One thing led to another and the black major was pepper sprayed, tackled, cuffed, and arrested by 3 white deputies. The case went to trial with this officer's freedom and career on the line. Fortunately, he was found not guilty on the serious felonies, and guilty only on a misdemeanor due to his role in the confrontation. If this officer had been white, he probably wouldn't have been stopped, and if he were pulled over, would have been cut-loose after identifying himself as a police officer.
    Yes sir, you are correct. I can tell stories all day long about that sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Racism

I hate racism. Laws cannot solve this problem because it stems from one's heart. It is a learned behavior but, fortunately, one that can be unlearned. It exists in police departments and security as well. I remember one incident with a Miami-Dade police officer (a major; off duty) that was driving through Georgia (SC ?). He was stopped by a deputy who had been warned by a judge to stop profiling black motorists who used this part of the highway on their way to and from Florida.

One thing led to another and the black major was pepper sprayed, tackled, cuffed, and arrested by 3 white deputies. The case went to trial with this officer's freedom and career on the line. Fortunately, he was found not guilty on the serious felonies, and guilty only on a misdemeanor due to his role in the confrontation. If this officer had been white, he probably wouldn't have been stopped, and if he were pulled over, would have been cut-loose after identifying himself as a police officer.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Poor guy never had a chance. These "animals" remind me of a pack of wolves. Do you remember a few years ago when that truck driver in CA was pulled out of his truck and beat to a pulp? I wouldn't mind sending those punks to Singapore for a cane therapy session.
    Reginald Denny
    I agree but you are too kind. They need something a bit more "stern".

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Welcome Back...

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
    holy snap, that was rough. When i see videos like that it makes me want to be racist. What could be have done? maybe not gotten out of the cart when out numbered with no backup? better self defense?
    Last edited by Tennsix; 04-23-2006, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by 1stWatch
    I saw a lot of gang beatings like this one growing up in the south area of Dallas. They had it in for this guy for some reason, whether it was by virtue of his job, or for some other reason they had a twisted social stigma against him. I'm glad they could only hit like little pansies and he was able to get up afterwards even though he was injured. He could have easily been beaten to death if the assailants were older, stronger, and more coordinated or if they had weapons like knives or clubs.
    I noticed that in the video.. how he seemed to almost be able to shrug it off. I was thinking "wow". Hopefully these kids will crack under NLVPD and Metro and rat out their asshat buddies.

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by T202
    Glad to see that they are rounding them up.

Two more arrests in connection to last weekend's mob-style attacks were made Friday, adding to the one arrest made earlier this week. Police expect at least a dozen more could follow.

Eighteen-year-old Demarcus Smith has been charged with four counts of robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, battery with substantial bodily harm, coercion by force, and burglary with intent.

The other suspect is a juvenile.

The 17-year-old suspect is a resident of North Las Vegas. He was questioned by North Las Vegas Police. NLVP later charged him with robbery in connection to the Wal-Mart parking lot attack.

The arrests come after a weeklong investigation into the string of mob style attacks that took place throughout the valley last weekend.

Earlier this week, Metro Police arrested 18-year-old Darlye Williams for his involvement in the second beating of an MGM employee.

Metro police have confirmed that some of the suspects involved in the MGM beatings were also involved in a mob-style attack outside a Wal-Mart in North Las Vegas.
    Good, good. Glad to see someone's lifting a finger or two to do something about it.

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
    I think that may have been a Wackenhut CPO... what with the tan looking uniform and the hat. I was talking to our Training officer today and he was telling me about all the widespread contracts we have throughout Vegas. Apparently it is hard to travel through vegas without seein a Wackenhut CPO.

Civil Libs and libs and grannies and everyone together... if I saw those guys attacking a guard like that and I was armed, you can bet your ass I'd try to intervene. I wish you would come after me with that chain you hit an unarmed man with. I would say, by looking at this video, if I saw that on the street, I would say it could give a reasonable person the idea that they were intending on ending that guard's life. Especially when they chased him when he tried to run away.
    I saw a lot of gang beatings like this one growing up in the south area of Dallas. They had it in for this guy for some reason, whether it was by virtue of his job, or for some other reason they had a twisted social stigma against him. I'm glad they could only hit like little pansies and he was able to get up afterwards even though he was injured. He could have easily been beaten to death if the assailants were older, stronger, and more coordinated or if they had weapons like knives or clubs.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Poor guy never had a chance. These "animals" remind me of a pack of wolves. Do you remember a few years ago when that truck driver in CA was pulled out of his truck and beat to a pulp? I wouldn't mind sending those punks to Singapore for a cane therapy session.

Leave a comment:

• T202
    replied
    Glad to see that they are rounding them up.

Two more arrests in connection to last weekend's mob-style attacks were made Friday, adding to the one arrest made earlier this week. Police expect at least a dozen more could follow.

Eighteen-year-old Demarcus Smith has been charged with four counts of robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, battery with substantial bodily harm, coercion by force, and burglary with intent.

The other suspect is a juvenile.

The 17-year-old suspect is a resident of North Las Vegas. He was questioned by North Las Vegas Police. NLVP later charged him with robbery in connection to the Wal-Mart parking lot attack.

The arrests come after a weeklong investigation into the string of mob style attacks that took place throughout the valley last weekend.

Earlier this week, Metro Police arrested 18-year-old Darlye Williams for his involvement in the second beating of an MGM employee.

Metro police have confirmed that some of the suspects involved in the MGM beatings were also involved in a mob-style attack outside a Wal-Mart in North Las Vegas.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    I think that may have been a Wackenhut CPO... what with the tan looking uniform and the hat. I was talking to our Training officer today and he was telling me about all the widespread contracts we have throughout Vegas. Apparently it is hard to travel through vegas without seein a Wackenhut CPO.

Civil Libs and libs and grannies and everyone together... if I saw those guys attacking a guard like that and I was armed, you can bet your ass I'd try to intervene. I wish you would come after me with that chain you hit an unarmed man with. I would say, by looking at this video, if I saw that on the street, I would say it could give a reasonable person the idea that they were intending on ending that guard's life. Especially when they chased him when he tried to run away.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X