Going To Work Sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going To Work Sick

How many s/o's on this forum force themselves to go to work when ill simply because the security company you work for runs the office so thin that they can't cover your shift(s)?

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wu...smiley-020.gif
    Last edited by Mr. Security; 04-15-2006, 10:11 AM. Reason: Add link.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

First- I love your smiley!!

And yep I'm one. I almost lost a foot to diabetic problems 2 years ago. I had to wear what looked like a plastic ski boot while it healed yet once I got out of the hospital & stopped having to take antibiotics interveniously I went back to work. No choice. My department is that small.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
      First- I love your smiley!!
      I "borrowed" it from HEMMI.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        How many s/o's on this forum force themselves to go to work when ill simply because the security company you work for runs the office so thin that they can't cover your shift(s)?

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wu...smiley-020.gif
        I just very rarely get sick, so I usually end up covering for sick people. Oh well, more OT for me.
        10-8

Comment

I've done it, but when I am armed, I will flat refuse to work depending on the level of medication I'm taking. Some OTC drugs will put you out like a light. Free gun.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Since most security companies I have worked for did not offer sick pay, I would go in to work since I could not afford to lose a day's pay.

Once, I was so sick with the flu that I could barely get out of bed, so I called in to the office to tell them I could not make it in to work. The owner's wife answered the phone and she actually had the nerve to tell me I had to go to work and to "suck it up and be a man." I quit the next day after the flu passed.

That attitude seems pretty typical of most security company owners, they could care less about you.

When one of my guards calls off sick I do not question them. I want my guards to be 100% fit for duty at work, and I would rather pay the overtime or even work the shift myself rather than have somebody working who could not perform their duties. If they are going to be out for three days or more, I will require them to bring me a doctor's note saying they are fit for duty. This requirement also keeps my guards from abusing the system, but so far I have only had one guard who took advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
              Since most security companies I have worked for did not offer sick pay, I would go in to work since I could not afford to lose a day's pay.

Once, I was so sick with the flu that I could barely get out of bed, so I called in to the office to tell them I could not make it in to work. The owner's wife answered the phone and she actually had the nerve to tell me I had to go to work and to "suck it up and be a man." I quit the next day after the flu passed.

That attitude seems pretty typical of most security company owners, they could care less about you.

When one of my guards calls off sick I do not question them. I want my guards to be 100% fit for duty at work, and I would rather pay the overtime or even work the shift myself rather than have somebody working who could not perform their duties. If they are going to be out for three days or more, I will require them to bring me a doctor's note saying they are fit for duty. This requirement also keeps my guards from abusing the system, but so far I have only had one guard who took advantage.
              "Ok, I'll suck it up, and be a man, but I'm reporting you to the state for sending persons to work who are not fit for duty..."

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I almost have to be on my death bed to call in sick. About 9 years ago I was going into my job at the prison with "walking pneumonia" at one point. I'm usually the one covering other officers who call in sick. My supervisor knows that IF I call him and say that I can't make it in it must be serious. So when that rare day comes he never gives me any grief about it.
                Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                  I've done it, but when I am armed, I will flat refuse to work depending on the level of medication I'm taking. Some OTC drugs will put you out like a light. Free gun.
                  Not to mention that if you have to use lethal force and the authorities request a blood test and find trace amounts of any medications in your blood, they may try to make an issue out of it even if it didn't have any bearing on the outcome.

Comment

"Ok, I'll suck it up, and be a man, but I'm reporting you to the state for sending persons to work who are not fit for duty..."
                    Even though they can't fire you for reporting them, they will find another reason to let you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                      Even though they can't fire you for reporting them, they will find another reason to let you go.
                      Of course they will. But they'll also be fined for the trouble. And when your boss asks you, 'How come you quit (Quit),' you go, "They wanted me to work a post when I was on enough medication to knock down a horse, with a gun on."

Comment

Of course they will. But they'll also be fined for the trouble. And when your boss asks you, 'How come you quit (Quit),' you go, "They wanted me to work a post when I was on enough medication to knock down a horse, with a gun on."
                        You didn't "quit," you resigned, accepted a more advanced position, were offered a leadership role, etc., etc. Just a little help with the terminology on your resume.

Comment

I would tell you what a former SGT said to me when I called in sick one night but the forum rules prohibit such language.
                          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                          -Lieutenant Commander Data
                          sigpic

Comment

i rang in sick and the boss said she would call the relief in,she rang me back after ten min and gave me his number i asked him to do my shift and he said no i asked did he have another job and he said he was going to centre link(dole office)then meeting his mates.so i had to go to work as the other bloke that works for the same company is not allowed to work at my mall.the thing that got me was the next night the bloke that does nights couldnt get a babysitter and the relief covered for him no problem. i got the relief sacked because i had injured my shoulder and really should not have been forced to go to work.plus i got called in to cover for him and then found out he went to a night club after i had worked all day and come in to do his shift.
                            but the new relief said he is not allowed to cover my mall because his girlfriend doesnt want him around females at the mall.
                            Last edited by ozsecuritychic; 04-15-2006, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                              I would tell you what a former SGT said to me when I called in sick one night but the forum rules prohibit such language.
                              Now we're getting the hang of it.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X