X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me what you think he did wrong?

Critique this video security officer dealing with trespassers

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3lqfMDhJi...mike%20vallely
    Last edited by bigdog; 04-11-2006, 10:49 PM.
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Better question: "Did he do anything right?"
    That was embarrassing... He let those curb squrriels punk him out!
    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

This guy isn't a security guard. He's the maintenance person. You can tell by what he says. "I gotta pay for this ----. I gotta fix this ----."

It seems that this Mike Vallely person likes to run around with a video camera and cause trouble.

Mr. Vallely would of been asked to leave. If he refused, he would of been told to leave. If he refused then, a police officer would be summoned. If he became physically combative, he would of been taken into custody. The dash camera footage would then be released to YouTube with the caption:

"Mike Vallely gets what he deserves."
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

1 he doesnt look like security.
        2 he stands too close to people.
        3 he stands front to front with the person
        4 he turns his back on one to talk to the others
        5 he has no room to move(car behind him)
        6 he was rude to them first up,he set the tone.
        when i approach a situation like that i say sorry guys but this is private property and i am going to ask you to leave,if they are doing something stupid i say something like although it would be funny to see you fall off but i dont want to have to give you first aid.Generally they go oh sorry we didnt realise we werent allowed here then i say there is signs and point to them.i always make a point of being nice to the person first i will only say please once then i change my tone if they are still doing the wrong thing.

Comment

Just to note, the guy in this video is a professional skater who seems to have a reputation for violence.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

If he was a Security Guard....hmmm you think going over to them and telling them that you gotta pay for the stuff is gonna make them leave, they don't care. You think swearing is gonna make anything better? He didn't approach them with a good attitude and he got attitude in return. Mr. Valley is known for violence, but I was actually surprised that he didn't attack the guy the minute the guy stepped out of his truck.

Too many people let their attitudes get in the way of their judgement. If he had said, "hey guys this is private property, I'm asking you to leave please", then if they didn't, "This is private property, you need to leave now" and if they don't, "Base, could you have PD respond to my location, I have 3 tresspassers riding skateboards and refusing to leave the property... standby for descriptions."

Comment

I don't know what that guy is but he is not security. He didn't even have a uniform. He is obviously some sort of maintenance personell. In all reality those skaters didn't punk him, they just defended themselves against assault. When the maintenance guy (or whatever you call him) was neutralized they backed off.

I wouldn't be surprised if that guy isn't even a maintenance guy but just some vigalante that hates skaters.

Comment

If that is a security officer, I'm very worried about the requirements of security officers in the US

Seriously, the situation could have been handled much better, but the 'security' person in the video is obviously not trained to deal with this type of situation. He has to fix whatever these guys screw up, and obviously he is tired of having to do it.

If it was an every night / week thing, I'm sure you would get tired of having to deal with it as well.

You know, they should have hired some 'REAL' security officers to check their parking area.

Have to note the attitude he got out with. Bad idea, especially when confronting 3 males of unknown background. I have no idea who this Vallely guy is, but the approach could have been much better.

Something along the lines of what ozsecuritychic was saying.

Wonder if the 'security' guy could charge the one male with assault, as it IS recorded on video, and he did grab him by the throat?

Of course, we all know that the person in video was not the security guard, but that will not stop others from thinking he was. *sigh*

Comment

security?

The guy in the truck should have been charged with assault. If he was in any type of law enforcement he should have identified himself straight away, he assaulted the skater as soon as he touched him. If smart the skater should have gone down to the ground and sued the security/maintenance man for thousands. No uniform, no back-up, dark car-park, two or more attackers, all good ways to get your self killed.
                  We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

It depends where it was for it to be assaul. Here in Fl we can use reasonable for to terminate trespass. whether it be using oc , pushing the subject until hes off the property, etc. I agree with the uniform but not everyone has the privledge of having a backup to call, like my company we have no comm center or radios and have one patrol supervisor that is responsible for the patrol accounts the company has. He is responsible for two counties and many times is unavailiable.Sometimes you have to do it on your own. Ive cleared gruops of kids skateboarding on my property about 6 times all without incident. It all depends on yopur attitude and how you approach them.

Comment

Indeed, back-up is a luxury in the security industry in America. You will not find you have additional personnel, and the police are not a back-up. The moment you call them, you have effectively turned the situation over ot them, and the situation had best be criminal in nature or you will be wasting their time.

You may need back-up for officer safety during a rule enforcement function, such as determining the legimacy of a person who may be trespassing on property, or searching an employee or visitor. A police officer is not able to respond in time, and even if they can, they cannot engage in the rule enforcement function - its not their job to be an agent of the owner.

Comment

UM.. nathan trespass is law enforcement function.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
                          UM.. nathan trespass is law enforcement function.
                          The law hasn't been broken unless you tell them to leave, and they refuse. 9/10 times, calling them before initial contact just results in you having to go up to the bad guy, with cop in tow, and tell him to leave.

Remember, someone is not trespassing unless they have been informed their presence is no longer wanted. The exception to this is if the area is posted with proper (in your case, FSS) signage which specifically states NO TRESPASSING, and has all the proper elements your state law requires.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                            The law hasn't been broken unless you tell them to leave, and they refuse. 9/10 times, calling them before initial contact just results in you having to go up to the bad guy, with cop in tow, and tell him to leave.

Remember, someone is not trespassing unless they have been informed their presence is no longer wanted. The exception to this is if the area is posted with proper (in your case, FSS) signage which specifically states NO TRESPASSING, and has all the proper elements your state law requires.
                            As I mentioned before in another post, Quebec does not have a Trespass to Property Act. Neither does the Canadian Criminal Code. We have Assault by a Trespasser. It means that it only becomes criminal when they refused to leave, I use force to evict them & they ACTIVELY resist. Passive resistance is not criminal
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Security?

Still think he should have stayed in the truck and identified himself. If he had to get away quickly he could have, then called for backup or just run them down (joking).
                              We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X