No Profanity Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Profanity Please!

Gross profanity IS NOT acceptable on this forum. With the addition of new members, such language is becoming too common. I have been advised by the moderators of this forum to notify them of members that insist on using it. The asterisks do not make it acceptable either. Please abide by the rules that you agreed to when you became a member. I will report all posts that fit this pattern. Thank you in advance for keeping our forum professional.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Uh oh! Somebody called the Fun Police.
    10-8

Comment

What, no a cuss-fest? And I thought'd we could be like all those other cool forums where there's an occasional sentance with our cussin'.
      Seriously though, I'm glad for the warning, thanks

Comment

My opinion...for what it's worth...

You know, I can never understand how we as a society seem to get lost on the little things, case in point, healthcare, we have more people without healthcare than any other industrialized nation but we worry more about which celebrity is sleeping with which.

We as a nation and a very hipocritical nation at that are at our best when we are attacking someone's morals.

Take P***ography for example. P**n is a billion...yes I said "BILLION" dollar industry in the good ole US of A alone, yet ask any American if they watch it and they will say NO!

Why do we allow ourselves to be made to feel bad about our own natural feelings and impulses?

Where do people get off trying to stiffle free speech and expression? Do you think that maybe there are more important issues at hand than how someone phrases a sentence?

I have not noticed any "gross" use of profanity on this forum but then again my ears and eyes arent overly sensitive either. I expect that I will see and hear things that I don't like or agree with but I can deal with it.

I am all for "professionalism" but mere words do not a professional make.

Comment

Originally posted by talon
          I am all for "professionalism" but mere words do not a professional make.
          I disagree. We are in a profession that the vast majority of people deem unprofessional. We do not get the same inherent rights / priviledges given to us as say an LEO, but then on the other hand, we have officers in this profession presenting themselves in an unfavorable manner.

Its all in the eye of the beholder. One security guard shows up for work. His uniform is freshly pressed, creases are precise, boots are polished to a high gloss so as one could brush their teeth using them, not the smallest portion of the uniformed officer out of place. A professional beyond compare, who sits next to...

An officer with an unshaven face, wrinkled uniform and a general disheveled appearance, completely unproffesional in the eyes of..well, practically anyone.

It returns to the bad apple syndrome, or so I tend to call it. One security officer looks and acts unprofessional to one person in the public. This person speaks about this to a friend, who in turn tells another friend...it is soon exaggerated vastly out of proportion and anyone that works for the security company of that one unprofessional person has suddenly poisoned a large portion of the populace against the other officers of the company, no matter how excellently they perform.

We are, whether anyone wishes to believe it or not, on display while we are in uniform. Our every action and word is watched with great detail.

The executive of such and such department is a drunkard and could make a sailor blush, yet he complains about the security officer at the front desk due to that officer saying a cuss word you could probably consider to be a form of every day speech.

Likewise, this is a security forum, yet not everyone who comes here may be in the security industry. They might be considering entering the industry, or perhaps they are an employer who has decided they may require security. They come here to have a look and what do they see?

I believe this is where the moderators are coming from, and although I agree we should have the freedom of speech, etc and so on, when it comes to the reality of the situation, well, have as much freedom of speech as you want in your own home, but when you step out of it, especially in uniform, I suggest you watch what you say, because you never know who is watching, or listening, to you.

I look upon it as setting an example, and I'm just as guilty as others. At home, I let the odd cuss word slip, and then one of my daughters unleashes with it and I kick myself. I talk to her and explain the reasons we DON'T say that word, and then I substitute it with something else such as..."Sugar". I've become very adept at making sure not to cuss in front of my children, which is very good for working in government buildings and such.

Speaking of...One government building here, there was a security officer who almost lost his job due to calling the Toilet, well, a toilet. He literally told his offsider he required a visit to the toilet. A public servant heard him state this and took offense to it.

As it is a government contract, and the company wishes to keep it...well, the guards at that site are now required to classify it as the 'potty'.

I personally think there is such a thing as taking political correctness a little too far.
          Last edited by OzPatrol; 04-13-2006, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Why do we allow ourselves to be made to feel bad about our own natural feelings and impulses?....
            As a s/o, how would you respond to someone who used that reasoning with you after you corrected them for violating a policy or law? Would you say: "That's OK. I didn't mean to stifle your feelings or impulses?"

Where do people get off trying to stiffle free speech and expression? Do you think that maybe there are more important issues at hand than how someone phrases a sentence?....

Of course there are more important issues. Nevertheless, it has been demonstrated countless times that cracking down on small violations reduces more significant crime in rundown areas of a city. The Bratton police administration successfully reduced crime in NYC during the nineties by citing/arresting people for "small" violations like panhandling, loitering, etc. Remember, most dam breaks start out as small leaks. The same is true on this forum. "A little leaven ferments the whole loaf." (Bible)

Comment

Do you keep your word?

What follows is taken from the membership agreement that we all agreed to abide by when we first became members:

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

Certain members are still not leaving much to the imagination when they post the first letter of a vulgar word and follow it with ***.

Anyone can slip, but when it's being repeated it becomes offensive. All professional SO's and LEO's should be able to emphasize a thought or point w/o using profanity. The way you choose to speak elsewhere is up to you. When posting on this forum, let's stick to what we agreed to.

Comment

I think one way the general public views leos and s/os unprofessional is by watching the media, and tv and movies. Go up to anyone and ask them what security officers do every day 24/7 across the world. Ask them what leos do everyday. You will find some stupid responces. When you watch a stupid movie shot in california and you think thats what it is and how it is then they can start to think like that.

Comment

If I'm gonna cuss I'm gonna cuss like a Peacekeeper.
                  "Frell. Frell it all to Hezmana. That Tralk parked in the fire lane again. I swear that little Thoddo does it everyday just to test me. It's Dren like that which makes me want to punch someone."

Farscape Rules.

Make sure your translater microbes are properly calibrated. Go to- http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/farscape/swearing/index.shtml
                  I'm such a sci-fi geek.
                  Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Will you be able to catch me if I swear in French?
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Aw feldercarb, it's almost frackin Monday!
                      My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                        Will you be able to catch me if I swear in French?
                        Monsieur..Don't try to be funnayyyy with me. I am Inspector Clouseau and I am on official police business.

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
                          Aw feldercarb, it's almost frackin Monday!
                          Both of you frighten me. Unfortunately, typing in Klingon makes my hands tired.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

taH pagh taHbe'. DaH mu'tlheghvam vIqelnIS. quv'a', yabDaq San vaQ cha, pu' je SIQDI'? pagh, Seng bIQ'a'Hey SuvmeH nuHmey SuqDI', 'ej, Suvmo', rInmoHDI'?
                            I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                            -Lieutenant Commander Data
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                              taH pagh taHbe'. DaH mu'tlheghvam vIqelnIS. quv'a', yabDaq San vaQ cha, pu' je SIQDI'? pagh, Seng bIQ'a'Hey SuvmeH nuHmey SuqDI', 'ej, Suvmo', rInmoHDI'?
                              Oui, je suis d'accor avec ca!
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X