Care of duty gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care of duty gear

Yes, yes, I know I said I wouldn't be posting until I finished the CPO training, but I just received my order of duty gear - inner and outer belts, cuff case, mini-mag case, latex glove case.
    I know about the soap and water thing for maintenance, to keep it clean, but is there anything that experience has taught you, tips and tricks, about how to set this stuff up for first use, as well as to keep it clean?
    Any suggestions would be helpful.

wjohnc
    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Who makes your duty gear? Is it real leather, or synthetic?

If its real leather, especially if its a brand like Dutyman, LawPro, or one of the cheaper variety, get yourself three things:

- Saddle Soap
    - Smith and Wesson Black Leather Dye
    - Leather Conditioner

Saddle Soap takes crap off and conditions it. It may strip the dye off, though, if its painted on instead of soaked in. Either way, let the cheap black dye come off. Dye is good for dealing with scratches and cuts. If the saddle soap turned it brown - dye it again and let it soak in. The conditioner keeps it from drying out and cracking.

The drying out and cracking part is the worst part about real leather gear.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Oops, I guess the material is important, isn't it?
      Nylon, it's nylon.

wjohnc

- on CIW, listening to radio, trying to review notes from first 2 units of CPO course -
      Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
      "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Nylon's easy.

Soap and water. If its not-foamed, you can throw the stuff in the washing machine. I don't know what a washer and dryer will do to closed cell duty gear, though.

Every once in awhile, when it starts to turn grey, buy a small bottle or tablet of RIT Dye in "Night Black" or whatever, and dye all the gear. Keeps it looking black.

Spray it with frebreeze every once and awhile, as well.

Get something nasty on it? Add bleach to the soap and water solution, leave it sit for 10 minutes, etc.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Question

Most of my duty gear closes w/ Velcro. The other night, I tried to take out my Streamlight quietly and I realized how noisy it is. For you s/o's who need the element of stealth on your side, do you prefer snaps instead to minimize any noise that might give away your position?
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I've used both snaps and velcro in the past. I've ended up sticking with my snap-closure Accumold gear.... As you said, the velcro tends to be WAY too loud... I've found with my gear, that if I'm in a hurry and need it out NOW, A good hard tug gives an intimidating SNAP! (Almost like extending the asp.. lol)
            But if I need to be quiet, a gentle controlled tug gives off almost no sound at all.
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
              I've used both snaps and velcro in the past. I've ended up sticking with my snap-closure Accumold gear.... As you said, the velcro tends to be WAY too loud... I've found with my gear, that if I'm in a hurry and need it out NOW, A good hard tug gives an intimidating SNAP! (Almost like extending the asp.. lol)
              But if I need to be quiet, a gentle controlled tug gives off almost no sound at all.
              Same here. After 2 years, the velcro wore down, too, and I had to constantly trim it to get it to seat right.

I'll say this. I had a MK IV OC holder that I bought in 1995, and I understand its still going strong in 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                Same here. After 2 years, the velcro wore down, too, and I had to constantly trim it to get it to seat right.
                Yeah, that's my main complaint with velcro. It wears to crap in no time. Plus, as noted, the noise factor.
                10-8

Comment

I suppose I should add that I DO have one item on my belt with a velcro closure, (although I'm not carrying at the moment).. The uniform shop that I got my gear from was all out of snap-closure double-mag pouches at the time I made my purchase, so I had to settle for velcro on those.. But on that item, it doesn't bother me so much... After all, if you're in a situation where you've not only drawn, but fired your weapon to a point where you're either empty, or doing a tactical reload, the last thing you're gonna worry about is how loud your belt is..
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

Comment

Hell, I used my speedloaders more as a handcuff key holder than additional rounds. I used to stick a PR-24 shaped handcuff key behind the speedloaders, that way, I always had a quick handcuff key to use if needed.

Comment

I just bought a full accumold nylon belt. Most of them are snaps, but a couple items use velcro. I like the velcro more because it is easier to close. I assume these snaps are tough, cause they are new?
                      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                        I just bought a full accumold nylon belt. Most of them are snaps, but a couple items use velcro. I like the velcro more because it is easier to close. I assume these snaps are tough, cause they are new?
                        They are. You'll get used to the one way snaps.

Comment

I prefer snaps over velcro because of reasons already stated here. Velcro is noisy and it wears out to the point of it coming off the shirt or gear. I do have velcro on the inside of my leather duty belt, though. It helps to keep the outer belt more firmly attached to the inner belt.
                          "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                            They are. You'll get used to the one way snaps.
                            Yup. It took me a couple weeks to really get the hang of it, but once you go Accumold, you never go back! LOL (Except to get the newer padded belt... man this thing's comfy... lol)
                            Shoulda called in sick.
                            Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                              Yup. It took me a couple weeks to really get the hang of it, but once you go Accumold, you never go back! LOL (Except to get the newer padded belt... man this thing's comfy... lol)
                              Only gear I wore. Probably going with PatrolTek, though, its the same crap only 2" belt. 2" belt is more ergonomic.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X