Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawmaker's Security in Altercation with Reporter

Atlanta, GA:
    Rep. Cynthia McKinney, of Georgia, was at Capitol Hill to make a public apology for hitting a police officer in the chest when he tried to stop her from going through a security checkpoint without an identification lapel. A zealous reporter was trying to obtain a statement from the representative and was trying to physically shove his way past McKinney's security guard, a retired state patrolman, shoving him several times before the guard threatened him with arrest. Some uproar from the media ensued and they're speaking of filing criminal complaints against the guard in court. The capitol police also stated they were "irritated" to learn that McKinney is using private security on capitol grounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190902,00.html

The way I see it, punching the capitol police officer was uncalled for. Shoving the security guard was also uncalled for and is also a crime, Mr. Reporter.
    Be irritated about security being present as much as you like, as long as it's not illegal. This just exemplifies the strong prejudice toward our job I constantly speak of.
    Wah, wah, wah.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

The idea of police being irritated by security's presence is expectable. The question is, is it illegal?

What I find to be annoying about this case is how the security guard was immediately villified by the media for threatening the reporter with arrest. I do believe the comment I heard he made about being a police officer somewhere was inappropriate; however, the video I saw on the news showed the reporter trying to forcefully push the bodyguard and move him out of the way. This is enough to offend anybody in that position. I would let nobody lay hands on me in that fashion. The reporter responded to that by trying to exert authority over the bodyguard again by the way he was asking, in a condescending fashion "are you a police officer?" "Where are you a police officer sir?" "Hello, I'm talking to you", blah blah. This is the kind of thing I hear from people all the time who believe there is nothing I can do to them, regardless of wrongdoing. Hearing it is inflammatory.

I also agree with the capitol officers' viewpoint about the representative's apology being lacking in content and sincerety. A non-chalant "I sowwy" from the stand does not excuse her from the consequences of punching a uniformed police officer or believing she had any special privileges because of her social status. Because of that, any person working for her will also be portrayed negatively by those who share that interest.
      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Stop confusing the issue with facts!
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Sure there is a procedural conflict...the procedure is you are suppose to kiss their A$$es.

Would you feel more secure with a Bodyguard sworn to protect you and only you or would you prefer someone who is sworn to protect the "whole" and if a few peices get "it" then that is just "collateral damage".

Comment

Perhaps the Capitol police or "approved" private entities are to be contracted for such services. In that sense, it could be a conflict.
            I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
            -Lieutenant Commander Data
            sigpic

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X