Cost of Living for Security Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Security
    If it's a job related injury/illness, then workman's compensation will pay for treatment. You're absolutely right if the injury/illness is NOT job related. In a case like that, you could be buried in debt from all the medical expenses. You may never be able to recover financially.
    I've seen a lot of people get sinus infections and the like while on the job and workman's comp doesn't cover it. I've also had to wheel guards into the emergency room for heart attacks and that was also not covered.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
      Thank goodness for Canada's Medicare system . In Quebec we now even have government run drug insurance. We might be the highest taxed place in North America but at least we don't go broke when we get sick!
      Okay, so what all us from the U.S. need to do is go to Canada, get fake Canadian id's, and we'll have all the coverage we need.
      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

That's just appalling.

I guess I was smart in some ways to jump ship and come to Australia. Granted, we are taxed out the ying yang, but I have to admit, the medical system isn't bad at all.

At my job, I get $14.50 AUD an hour ($10.60 USD). Along with that, I get (currently) time and a half for 2 hours, plus double time for 2 hours in my 12 hour shift. I work 7 days a fortnight. I also get 17.5 % leave loading (don't ask me what this is. I'm still trying to figure it out. ozchic probably knows), 5 weeks annual leave and 13 sick days per year.

The company also pays 9% per pay period into superannuation (like the 401k, its a retirement fund type thing).

Now, this equates to me taking home approximately 48k AUD (35k USD) a year, gross, of which I have about 37k AUD (27k USD) in the hand (I told you we're taxed fairly hard. Just glad I haven't gone above 50k. That HURTS). This works out to approximately $1440 AUD ($1051 USD) per fortnight or $2880 AUD ($2102 USD) per month.

Cost: I currently pay $1250 AUD (912 USD) per month for mortgage.
        Current expenses of feeding the family run approximately $1000 AUD ($730 USD) a month.
        Fuel is currently $1.24 AUD ($.90 USD) unleaded and $1.39 ($1.01 USD) for diesel PER LITRE. We normally use a tank of fuel per vehicle per fortnight. We have two vehicles. Wife's car uses approximately $80 ($58 USD) per month and mine uses about $160 ($116) a month.
        Various other bits (car insurance, house insurance, registration of vehicles which is done every year where I live...no going for 4 years like back in the states. Electricity, phone, mobile phone(s)...)

Adds up to more than I make actually. Wife is paid a stipend from the government for...you know, I don't know precisely what it is called.

Not complaining by any stretch of the imagination. We are living a good life, my oldest has started catholic school down here (that's $500 per semester...X4 semesters) and my youngest is about to go into pre-school.

Only problem I currently have is that they want to REDUCE our pay. They are asking us (the company) to take a pay cut and a flat rate. The upside is, they have agreed to train every patrol officer to Certificate IV level (consulting, private investigation level down in Oz). Dunno how that's all gonna work out at the moment.

On the other side of the coin, we also have patrol officers that are making a lot less in other companies, and guards only rate about $13.14 AUD an hour, take home is about $1250 per week for static guards. I did that for a while and didn't like doing 100 hour weeks and dealing with clients who didn't have the slightest clue of what security meant, and making less money than what I did in patrols.

The job is not looked upon with great respect by a majority of people, and folks do not realise with the increased danger through out the world what that can mean from a security stand point.

I had someone just the other day tell me nothing would happen here in Australia. I told them there were a lot of people (myself included) that didn't believe anything would happen to the US until September 11th came around.

You never know when or where something might happen, and its a security officers job to stay diligent in the protection of persons (staff) and property.

Now, if they would only compensate (dare I say, and fully train) security officers with salary equal to demands placed upon them in this 'new' world we have been presented.

Comment

Comment

Perfect timing ozchic. Most appreciated.

(and I always work night shift)
            Last edited by OzPatrol; 04-13-2006, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
              I've seen a lot of people get sinus infections and the like while on the job and workman's comp doesn't cover it. I've also had to wheel guards into the emergency room for heart attacks and that was also not covered.
              My training in Florida indicated that only physical injuries sustained from trip/fall, attack, machinery, or MVA were worker's compensation.

Your sinus infection, flu, cold, or anything else is your own problem, because we are not "occupationally exposed" to anything.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                Valid points. Those medical issues are hard to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that they are directly connected to the occupation. One thing is for sure; there are plenty of holes in the workman's compensation safety net.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

i used to work for heinz/watties and hurt my hand.even though it should have been an open shut case it has been going on since 1999.i recieved $7000.00 back pay because they refused to employ me saying they had no work even though i would answer the phone when they would ring my mum who started on the same day as me.after i went back i ended up having 2 operations and told not to work in a factory again.they paid me $27,850 for that plus weekly payments of $452.0 after tax.here you have to have a work cover drs certificate,and then have a medical certificate when you are right to come back to work.if you have a day of before or after a weekend you have to have a certificate,sometimes it is very difficult to get in to see a dr on short notice.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Your sinus infection, flu, cold, or anything else is your own problem, because we are not "occupationally exposed" to anything.
                    Except for cold air, dust, exhaust fumes, smoke, etc from working outdoors... Oh yeah that's right, go sit in the car where they assume you have a working heater or a/c; however, then you're not doing the job properly and the company or client will fire you.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      My training in Florida indicated that only physical injuries sustained from trip/fall, attack, machinery, or MVA were worker's compensation.

I am! Every shift I pull not to mention HIV, Hepatitis so on and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
                        I am! Every shift I pull not to mention HIV, Hepatitis so on and so on.
                        Here's one for you, GCMC, who provides your PPE? From what I've found, according to OSHA, your considered a "healthcare worker," and that's why your required to get all the cool PPE to prevent infection.

When OSHA considers it an occupational hazard, the company is required under law to provide PPE for all forms of the hazard. That's why a company must provide cold winter coats up here (freezing is an occupational hazard.)

I've worked many sites were the client refused to provide PPE, including such things as respirators (HAZMAT facility), Hard Hats (OSHA Hard Hat Area), Boots (OSHA Steel Toe Boot Area), and familiarization with SCBA gear / emergency eyewash stations. They would show us where the fire gear was (We were supposed to put the fires out, oh boy!) and give us a copy of every MSDS (not for us, for the fire department, sealed in a book we give them during an emergency.) Company told us its the client's problem, client told us that if your company wants you to have it, they'll buy it, because OSHA said we're not occupationally exposed to any of the hazards.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

LOS ANGELES Downtown's biggest commercial property owner and one of the nation's largest unions have announced a deal that would allow several hundred security guards to unionize.

Labor leaders are calling the pact between the Service Employees International Union--or SEIU (SAY'-yoo)--and developer Robert Maguire an opening salvo in a campaign to organize security guards throughout L-A county.

The agreement reflects a compromise brokered between the two sides by L-A Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

It lets security guards join the SEIU in their own exclusive local, instead of having them join building janitors in a joint chapter.

More..

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X