Cost of Living for Security Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Living for Security Guards

Interesting article about the cost of living for security guards and attempts to unionize.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

Wow

Making me pause and thank God for I have.
    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

"Why stick with a low-end job like security guard?"

Interesting quote from the article. It reveals in a nutshell the view that most people have of security guards. We're not even close to being recognized as professionals.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Noticed that, too. Might ask the same question about the janitors, but this makes it seem like the janitors have a higher position on the totem pole.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

The article also implied the woman was not educated enough to do any other job.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
            The article also implied the woman was not educated enough to do any other job.
            Something I noticed was that in psychological evaluations, having an occupation of "security guard" can be an indicator of "low skill" or "underachiever." (DSM-IV)

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              Noticed that, too. Might ask the same question about the janitors, but this makes it seem like the janitors have a higher position on the totem pole.

I think Janitors make more $$ than a Security Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren
                I think Janitors make more $$ than a Security Guard.
                Some do. Just like some security guards make more money than cops.
                10-8

Comment

Honestly, most of the security officers I ever met made an average of $8.50 per hour. Some made a few dollars more per hour, but had no overtime hours available. A lot of them have miserable living conditions. One guy who works for the same company I do has no car, takes the bus everywhere he goes, lives on gas station hot dogs and 99 cent burgers, and spends half his sleeping time in the garage at the station. I've known others who were literally homeless, living out of their cars when not on post. Conditions get made a lot worse if the person gets sick on the job or hurt and has to go to the hospital. There is no affordable health insurance or accidental death and dismemberment insurance plan available since the person's job is considered "high risk" and absolutely no line of death benefit for the family. Just refer to an early post I made about one who was killed on duty in 2003 if you want an example.
                  "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Not to mention that it's one of the only minimum-wage jobs that expects you to spend your own money on the job (in some cases, uniforms, equipment, consumables..)

Comment

Not quite minimum wage, but not nearly as well to do as it should be.
                      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        Something I noticed was that in psychological evaluations, having an occupation of "security guard" can be an indicator of "low skill" or "underachiever." (DSM-IV)
                        That's not right. No wonder my wife feels embarrassed when people ask what her husband's occupation is.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                          ..... Conditions get made a lot worse if the person gets sick on the job or hurt and has to go to the hospital. There is no affordable health insurance ......
                          If it's a job related injury/illness, then workman's compensation will pay for treatment. You're absolutely right if the injury/illness is NOT job related. In a case like that, you could be buried in debt from all the medical expenses. You may never be able to recover financially.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                            That's not right. No wonder my wife feels embarrassed when people ask what her husband's occupation is.
                            Security guards are considered no-skill general service labor. I applied at a temp agency once, and was asked, "Ok, so your a security guard. Do you have any useful or marketable skills?"

After going ..., I told the dumb bitch to turn to page two.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                              If it's a job related injury/illness, then workman's compensation will pay for treatment. You're absolutely right if the injury/illness is NOT job related. In a case like that, you could be buried in debt from all the medical expenses. You may never be able to recover financially.
                              Thank goodness for Canada's Medicare system . In Quebec we now even have government run drug insurance. We might be the highest taxed place in North America but at least we don't go broke when we get sick!
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X