Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is getting a firearms permit in Ca. worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is getting a firearms permit in Ca. worth it?

Hi again. The ink on my California guard card is still drying and wanted to ask California guards in particular if getting your bsis firearm permit is worth it or not? I would think it could open doors for other jobs but have also heard that the majority of positions in Ca. will not use armed security.

Heh. There's a bunch of folks running around with firearms in CA, aren't there? I mean BSIS licensed patrol operators. You may be thinking of traditional "warm body" security, and not patrol companies.

I'd focus on getting experience before getting a firearms permit in CA, unless its of no hardship to you. I'd also look at IFPO certification as a Basic Protection Officer (You'll pass it easily, its basically the BSIS course rehashed), and possibly Certified Protection Officer. People LOVE it when you have letters behind your name.
    Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 04-07-2006, 04:43 PM.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Its not worth it IMHO. Most employers here will not knowingly hire an armed guard. Just do what I do, get a CCW and carry your gun concealed while on duty.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
        Its not worth it IMHO. Most employers here will not knowingly hire an armed guard. Just do what I do, get a CCW and carry your gun concealed while on duty.
        You know, someone's going to get bored and post the BSIS statute that prohibits carrying firearms unless licensed as an armed patrol operator by BSIS. Unfortunately, I'm not that bored yet. I have tacos to make.

Must obey the taco man!

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Corbier, I am actually fixing to have a Carne Asada Super Burrito with cilantro.

Comment

right of course! just "go pick up your CCW" and your all set! wait... wtf? Mayor, how is it you go about "just picking up a CCW" in california? seriously, its easier to immigrate than to get a CCW in california from what i've been told.

Comment

Corbier, I am actually fixing to have a Carne Asada Super Burrito with cilantro.
              Perfer Stuffed Burritos with Steak, myself. Tacos were good, though. From what I understand, if your company requires you carry a CCW, that's your "go card" for the Sheriff. You get one.

Comment

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
                right of course! just "go pick up your CCW" and your all set! wait... wtf? Mayor, how is it you go about "just picking up a CCW" in california? seriously, its easier to immigrate than to get a CCW in california from what i've been told.
                It is unbeleivably difficult to obtain a CCW in about 55 of the 58 counties in california. I got mine 3 years back in Lake County. I was manager for a store and a function of my job was to make deposit runs to the bank, I listed this on my ccw application as my "good cause".

If I am not mistaken the Lake County Sheriff's Office is still handing them out (I think Grandpa Carl from O.com got his there, too.)

Comment

What happens if you end up using it while working?
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I don't know, hopefully I won't have too.

Comment

I don't know, hopefully I won't have too.
                      I'm actually going to say this. Don't take it the wrong way, but its the truth. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        I'm actually going to say this. Don't take it the wrong way, but its the truth. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
                        I heard that too many times. It's easy to say, but it's another thing when things go south. Consider the possible consequences:

* Termination
                        * Loss of Security License
                        * Criminal & Civil Penalties
                        * Bankruptcy
                        * CCW permit suspended/revoked

If one decides to draw his weapon (and he will if it's being carried) because he misinterprets the action(s) of another, "the cat is out of the bag." Could it save his life? Possibly. But there will be consequences that an armed guard in the same position will not have to face as long as procedures are followed.

If he feels that strongly about it, then he should refuse to work unarmed security.
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                          I heard that too many times. It's easy to say, but it's another thing when things go south. Consider the possible consequences:

* Termination
                          * Loss of Security License
                          * Criminal & Civil Penalties
                          * Bankruptcy
                          * CCW permit suspended/revoked

If one decides to draw his weapon (and he will if it's being carried) because he misinterprets the action(s) of another, "the cat is out of the bag." Could it save his life? Possibly. But there will be consequences that an armed guard in the same position will not have to face as long as procedures are followed.

If he feels that strongly about it, then he should refuse to work unarmed security.
                          Even with a carry permit and/or license if you use it you can guarantee your going to get sued. They can be a 10 time felon but as soon as you pull a trigger the news will have thier mama out there with the picture of Junior in his communion suit helping Mother Theresa across the street.
                          Just in case a situation like this ever arose, I always made sure I had a large umbrella policy and almost everything in my wifes name alone. No matter if it was LE or security, better to be ready ahead of time in our litigation crazed career field.
                          Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

I guess it's human nature to "remember the bad and not the good" Most incidences revolving how a citizen using good judgement and did everything right never get reported. Only when a bad shooting happens or the bg sues.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X