Handling Drunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Drunks

Every post and job is different. Some of us almost never have this problem. In my case, I work in industry and don't have to deal with drunks. If someone shows up to work drunk it's up to their supervisor to send them home. If they refuse they could be fired and then bared from the plant.
    Hospital Security Officer

Comment

My advice is to be friendly with them. In my experience drunks are easy to sway in the direction I want. If I give them honey more so than vineagar. Especially when I have caught some poor drunk peeing in an alley or behind a dumpster, he looks all flustered as if I caught him, but I just laugh and say something nice. Keep in mind drunks are lonely people and they really just need someone to talk to.

Comment

<Faints dead away> I actually agree with The_Mayor on this one.. Every drunk is different, and therefore every drunk needs to be TREATED different... But in my experience I've gotten a lot farther with them, and had more success by being friendly and helpful to them... Remember your verbal judo.. Be a good listener (because you KNOW they're going to ramble).. Help them sit down somewhere so they don't hurt themselves, (and so you can keep an eye on them easier), and let them know you're here to help them... Even if in reality you're there to make sure they stay in line...
        Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
        Originally posted by ValleyOne
        BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
        Shoulda called in sick.
        Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
          My advice is to be friendly with them. In my experience drunks are easy to sway in the direction I want. If I give them honey more so than vineagar. Especially when I have caught some poor drunk peeing in an alley or behind a dumpster, he looks all flustered as if I caught him, but I just laugh and say something nice. Keep in mind drunks are lonely people and they really just need someone to talk to.
          Good advice, Mr. Mayor.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LavianoTS386
            In the hospital I work at I am occasionally called stat to the ER because there is an uncooperative drunk......
            At our local hospital, once a drunk walks into the ER, the hospital cannot allow them to leave until they are sober enough not to get hurt. It becomes a liability issue for the hospital. If the ETOH individual insists on leaving, the police are called and the individual is taken into PC.

I agree that being nice, but firm if necessary, is the best course. Whatever you do, make sure that you follow the post orders or you will be left "high and dry" by your security company if something goes wrong.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

In hotels it depends on the drunk. A drunk guest is treated differently than a drunk trespasser. A drunk attending a banquet function is treated different than one with a room at the hotel.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                In hotels it depends on the drunk. A drunk guest is treated differently than a drunk trespasser. A drunk attending a banquet function is treated different than one with a room at the hotel.
                We used to throw drunk guests in their hotel. Drunk trespassers were asked to leave (hotel has no duty of care to uninvited patrons). Drunk invitees were dealt with as criminal suspects when their behavior violated state law, otherwise, we had no contact with them - i.e. we only responded to calls for service from the hotel in regards to disorders in the banquet halls.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Drunk students are either taken to Health Services for an eval or handed over to the University Police. Drunk members of the public are another PD problem. We have the city Substance Abuse center right across from our HQ, so we see them all enough to wave.
                  Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

What happens to drunks that aren't students?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                      What happens to drunks that aren't students?
                      Mop drunks have either the University Police and/or Fire Rescue called depending on the level of intoxication. As many bldgs. are open to the public and we're attached to a large urban hospital, you may be facing a medical condition, mental condition or drug induced behavior. Better to have the police/ems respond to handle the situation than let someone wander off to be hurt or cause harm. Unless they're causing a disturbance they are typically removed from the property with no charges filed.
                      Students are a totally different creature and there are several University policies detailing how to handle them. Basically its medical treatment followed up by intervention counseling. Considering the University its basically hands off the kids.
                      Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by ycaso77
                        Mop drunks have either the University Police and/or Fire Rescue called depending on the level of intoxication. As many bldgs. are open to the public and we're attached to a large urban hospital, you may be facing a medical condition, mental condition or drug induced behavior. Better to have the police/ems respond to handle the situation than let someone wander off to be hurt or cause harm. Unless they're causing a disturbance they are typically removed from the property with no charges filed.
                        Students are a totally different creature and there are several University policies detailing how to handle them. Basically its medical treatment followed up by intervention counseling. Considering the University its basically hands off the kids.
                        Interesting. We lock up drunk students, if they are unruley or a frequent flyer. Sometimes a night in drunk tank is just what the doctor ordered.

If a student is so drunk we have to call an ambulance or be treated at the hospital, we will issue a court summons for minor consuming and/or public intox.

If the student is under the influence but not a problem we will generally issue a court summons. If we encountered them a second time that night, they go to jail.

We pretty much treat everyone that way. Our jail requires medical clearance for anyone blowing more than .24% BrAC. I don't mess with the resident drunks. They can blow a deuce and be as sober as a judge.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                          I don't mess with the resident drunks. They can blow a deuce and be as sober as a judge.
                          Anyone know where this comes from? Early in my career I had to get the wheelchair out to bring a man who had passed out in the bar up to his room. Guess what? He was a judge
                          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Well... You make a very good point! I never thought about it before...
                            sigpic

Comment

when i worked at a pub we got the really pissed off ones that had just been served at the bar then the bar tender would tell us they had too much and want them out.that was an interesting situation but it helped to make friends with the bull riders and shearers the first night on the job because if they got too rowdy the blokes would have a friendly word and the drunks would leave.
                              i would be friendly but firm with them at the hospital,find out their names so next time when they dont remember you and you remember their name they sit there quietly for a while thinking how does he know my name.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X