P&O goes drug free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P&O goes drug free?

Recent reports in Australia.P&O cruise ship passengers may have to face sniffer dogs before departure because a female passenger was given a lethal does of a date rape drug(Fantasy).They are also considering cctv systems and on board security officers. What do you think? What about staff, should they be checked?
    We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Hell yeah they should. Especially if they are travelling to other countries. There should be no expectation of privacy when boarding a private vessel.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

International Waters

One of the challenges with cruise lines is that some of these crimes occur in international waters where no one country has jurisdiction. In addition, the ship itself may be registered in a country other than the USA, which further compounds the justice issue after a crime occurs.

Also, it's easy for a crewmember to get off the ship after committing a crime since the ship may visit many ports during a cruise. Cruise lines will often fire such an individual, but may not attempt to take judicial action. The former crewmember can sign up for work with another cruise line and the passengers may be none the wiser.

Yes, all cruise lines need security and screening in my opinion.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        One of the challenges with cruise lines is that some of these crimes occur in international waters where no one country has jurisdiction.
        Doesn't the country of the cruise ship have jurisdiction?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
          Doesn't the country of the cruise ship have jurisdiction?
          They might, but will they act on it? Depending on the country, maybe, maybe not.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

My theory

In this case they are trying to stop drugs being taken aboard and used. They have the right to search passengers as they board for drugs and refuse entry to the ship. Original question, do staff have the right to refuse the search?
            We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

Probably not, condition of employment. One facility I worked at, to refuse one of our random searches was grounds for instant termination. If you refused, we simply called the shift supervisor for the client who suspended for the night, and HR terminated in the morning.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Drugs

Originally posted by crankloud View Post
                Recent reports in Australia.P&O cruise ship passengers may have to face sniffer dogs before departure because a female passenger was given a lethal does of a date rape drug(Fantasy).They are also considering cctv systems and on board security officers. What do you think? What about staff, should they be checked?
                Yes they should, and they are. You would be surprised how hard it is to bring drugs onboard.
                Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

It'll be interesting to the reaction from the passengers. But then, don't they already check for alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by craig333 View Post
                    It'll be interesting to the reaction from the passengers. But then, don't they already check for alcohol?
                    What do you mean by "check for alcohol"? Alcohol runs in rivers on cruise ships. Nobody has the balls to breathalyze passengers, it is not good for business. As for crew, they got fired only if they cause an incident, in adition to being drunk.
                    Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X