X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1stWatch
    • Oct 2005

Mall Security Saves Man with AED

Mankato, MN:
    Mall security officer Eric Malone used an automatic external defibrillator to save Lyle Priem, 80, who was having a heart attack.

"We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."
  • N. A. Corbier
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by 1stWatch
    Mankato, MN:
    Mall security officer Eric Malone used an automatic external defibrillator to save Lyle Priem, 80, who was having a heart attack.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/loca...yword=topstory
    More agencies should have AEDs. Security and Police.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• schampcpp
      • Feb 2006

Mall Security saves man with AED

I am the Director of Public Safety at a 102 store Mall in Iowa.
      We have three AED's, and all of my Officers have the training.
      We have not had to use them yet, but my Officer's are ready
      I advise all businesses to yell and scream to managers to get
      the AED's!!!

Comment

• HotelSecurity
        • Mar 2006

I've tried to get my bosses to by them for our hotels. A problem I'm coming up against is liability. I have explained that they are pretty idiot proof so this is not a problem. The questions I'm getting is what happens if our staff panic & don't use one that we have? Would we not be liable? It's sort of like getting a written security survey done. You better be ready to follow up on the recommandations. If not you can be held liable.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
          I've tried to get my bosses to by them for our hotels. A problem I'm coming up against is liability. I have explained that they are pretty idiot proof so this is not a problem. The questions I'm getting is what happens if our staff panic & don't use one that we have? Would we not be liable? It's sort of like getting a written security survey done. You better be ready to follow up on the recommandations. If not you can be held liable.
          Buy ones that any idiot can use. They make them, any person, not just a trained provider, can deploy a HeartStart AED for Phillips.

Don't post it behind the desk. Post it in the lobby, where anyone can get to it. In that case, it becomes a personal choice of anyone in the area to deploy the AED.

I have not (yet) been AED trained. I can, however, operate a Phillips HeartStart, and a LifePak AED, because I can follow voice prompts and look at pretty pictures.

If you want more information on AEDs and how to get a deployment, contact your Red Cross chapter. The American Red Cross, for example, is so big on AEDs that they have a AED person at chapters where the public can deploy AEDs - just to work with folks on AED issues.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• oldfart
            • Mar 2006

re: AED

Being a Firefighter as well as a security guard I am trained in CPR and AED. The thing is that CPR cannot restart the heart and the AED can. Most of the AED's are idiot proof but I am sure someone will prove that wrong.

I personally recommend that if you work with people you get CPR and AED training because you could need it at any time. Just an opinion and some you will think differently.
            Last edited by oldfart; 04-01-2006, 01:21 AM.
            Old Fart
            AKA WendallB
            KC5ESS Links
            KC5ESS Blog
            Blue Ridge Fire Dept.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
              • Mar 2006

I certainly don't need to be sold on them! I've done CPR 3 times while on duty in the hotel. Many more times while working as a volunteer First Responder with a rescue company. I understand that with CPR alone there is about a 4% survival rate. With CPR & an AED it's around 40%!

But again my problem at the hotel is that to get them to buy them they would use them as a marketing tool. Heavily advertizing that we have them. What if our staff freezes & forgets we have them?

Leaving them out in the open is NOT a good idea. Every Spring Break we have fire extinguishers emptied all over the hotel. I'm scared to think what they could do with an AED.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• oldfart
                • Mar 2006

Aed

Our contract client did not have AED's until someone died on site and now there are two AED's on each floor. Some people learn the hard way and a little too late.
                Old Fart
                AKA WendallB
                KC5ESS Links
                KC5ESS Blog
                Blue Ridge Fire Dept.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                  I certainly don't need to be sold on them! I've done CPR 3 times while on duty in the hotel. Many more times while working as a volunteer First Responder with a rescue company. I understand that with CPR alone there is about a 4% survival rate. With CPR & an AED it's around 40%!

But again my problem at the hotel is that to get them to buy them they would use them as a marketing tool. Heavily advertizing that we have them. What if our staff freezes & forgets we have them?

Leaving them out in the open is NOT a good idea. Every Spring Break we have fire extinguishers emptied all over the hotel. I'm scared to think what they could do with an AED.
                  LifePak makes enclosures for them. Go ahead. Remove it. It sounds a 140 decible alarm and a strobe flashes. Its good not only to prevent theft and vandalism, but to signal that an emergency exists - to get more people's attention.

All over airports and other such places, there are AEDs mounted in glass boxes. Break the box, the box goes off with its alarm and strobe, and off you run to save the day.

You can market the things (rather, marketing can), but I don't think that'd create a duty of care. None of your employees, that I know of, have a professional duty to provide rescue services, do they? If not, then its a personal decision to use an AED, if they feel comfortable.

If the hotel is stupid enough to market that you have AEDs and "professional rescuers," then they need to hire Paramedics to man the AEDs.

Comment

• Taser
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    I have not (yet) been AED trained. I can, however, operate a Phillips HeartStart, and a LifePak AED, because I can follow voice prompts and look at pretty pictures.
                    And you want to know the truth? That is basically what they teach you in AED training. I am AED certified and sure, I can operate one without listening to the prompts or looking at diagrams, so it does help to get the training, but the guy who trained us said, "Listen to the prompts, it tells you exactly what to do."

Those machines are amazing. They won't shock a beating heart. They're great. Our trainer told us about an eight-year-old kid who used an AED on a heart attack victim and saved the guy's life. I'm sure it was a pretty bright eight-year-old, but still...if a little kid can use one, pretty much anyone can.
                    10-8

Comment

• EMTGuard
                      • Nov 2005

Our Phillips Heartstart AED is carried in the EMT medical bag. Anytime the EMT leaves the guard shack at the front gate the bag goes with them. I keep it in the medical response van along with the other medical gear so it's never accidently left behind.
                      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

• Mr. Security
                        • Sep 2005

$Cost$

Seems to be the problem here. The good news is that the price is decreasing as time goes on. I'd rather have someone use an AED on me than crack my ribs and possibly puncture a lung doing CPR improperly.
                        Last edited by Mr. Security; 04-01-2006, 08:33 AM. Reason: Grammar. What else :-(
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

• Tennsix
                          • Oct 2005

Last edited by Tennsix; 04-01-2006, 08:45 AM.
                          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                          -Lieutenant Commander Data
                          sigpic

Comment

• Tennsix
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                            Seems to be the problem here. The good news is that the price is decreasing as time goes on. I'd rather have someone use an AED on me than crack my ribs and possibly puncture a lung doing CPR improperly.
                            Last edited by Tennsix; 04-01-2006, 08:47 AM.
                            I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                            -Lieutenant Commander Data
                            sigpic

Comment

• Mr. Security
                              • Sep 2005

That's true, but painful. Guess it beats the alternative.
                              Last edited by Mr. Security; 04-01-2006, 09:20 AM. Reason: Addition point.
                              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...