Clear All

• hemi444
    replied
    thanks everyone

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by hemi444
    Thats crazy..Good eye tennsix.... I am trying to catch up on the site since I have not had too much time since my son was born. I hope everyone has been safe and look forward to getting back to the forums.
    Welcome back.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by hemi444
    .... I am trying to catch up on the site since I have not had too much time since my son was born....
    Welcome back "DAD."

Leave a comment:

• hemi444
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    Folks, is seems our friend is a fraud:
    http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...=7805#post7805
    post #137
    Thats crazy..Good eye tennsix.... I am trying to catch up on the site since I have not had too much time since my son was born. I hope everyone has been safe and look forward to getting back to the forums.

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    Here I go again on how I will not tolerate any police officer demeaning me in front of some subject I am dealing with, or my client. I have told them in more than one instance that if they thought they knew all there was to do from my end that they could do it themselves, they were welcome to. With that, I left the scene(I'd go back later to reset the alarm system, and make sure all was OK inside). A well written report for our client(business owner and tax payer) outlining why our job was not done right away would usually put a stop to that. Many of those business owners have friends on the city council, or on ON the city council!!

Had to tell them on more than one occasion that if our calling the PD to respond to an alarm would only result in our alarm responder being hassled by the PD, we just wouldn't call them anymore, and only notify them if their presence was actually needed. They didn't like that idea one bit, citing lack of safety for our people, as well as burglars getting away on account of our slower response times. Didn't take a genius to figure out a solution for that.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by talon
    Here's the problem...if you were the front desk person, if you were the maid, if you were the valet, if you were the anyone else but "Security" you wouldn't get anywhere near the hassle from the Public Guards...Oops!!! I mean ...(gritting my teeth)...the "Police Officers" (lights, explosions and the star spangled banner are playing and praise Jesus on top of it)

Anyway, you are getting hassled simply because your job overlaps that of the locals and thats simply not right.
    Your forgot the trumpets

Leave a comment:

• talon
    replied
    The problem is...

Here's the problem...if you were the front desk person, if you were the maid, if you were the valet, if you were the anyone else but "Security" you wouldn't get anywhere near the hassle from the Public Guards...Oops!!! I mean ...(gritting my teeth)...the "Police Officers" (lights, explosions and the star spangled banner are playing and praise Jesus on top of it)

Anyway, you are getting hassled simply because your job overlaps that of the locals and thats simply not right.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog
    ..... Police officers should remember they are responding to Your property. Your job is just as important as theirs. Mutual respect should be given both ways.........
    I agree w/ the comment about mutual respect. We need more of that. As far as police officers responding to your property, it's good to remember that they are responding because WE called them. That's a little different than when a LEO decides to enter the client's property just to check out the area. In a case like that, a police officer has no business giving you orders to back off because he is on private property w/o a specific need to be there.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    Telling me to get lost on my own property isnt going to happen . Unless it is a danger to my safety example: man with a gun etc. Police officers should remember they are responding to Your property. Your job is just as important as theirs. Mutual respect should be given both ways. I know they have to establish control of the scene but they dont have to be disrespectful to the security officers on scene. Ive heard of security officers saving cops lives because the officer didnt see a second subject or his back up is a few minutes away an the S/O assisted.Dont be afraid to call a supervisor or watch commander if you feel you need to,On the other side some security officers take it a bit over board and end up getting in the way instead of helping.
    Last edited by bigdog; 04-09-2006, 08:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    As I've stated over & over, I see my job as a First Responder. I take care of the situation until the Police, Fire or Ambulance arrive. Then I step back. It's their job once they arrive. I offer help but it's their ballgame. I insist that the people working for me work this way too.

I used to volunteer with a rescue squad that was the First Responder for medical emergencies. We didn't have Paramedics in those days. (The tv show Emergency! was never shown in French so Paramedics were very slow to start here). The Ambulance Attendants were still the professionals. The squad I volunteered with was mostly made up of rich kids. Their parents supported them, they just needed something to do in the summer. A few of them were sent by their parents to the US. They came back as full Paramedics although legally not reconized in Quebec. These "Paramedics" would not back off when the professionals arrived. The system was set up so that an ambulance could, at any time cancel the First Responder unit. Guess what started to happen because these Paramedics refused to back off?

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    One thing I've found that you have to be prepared for is when the responding officer cuts you off after saying, "He is trespassing," and goes, "Your not qualified to tell me what law he's broken. I'll decide who's trespassing. Go stand by my car."

This is a warning sign, your encounter is not going to go well if you attempt to talk to this person as an equal. He is asserting control over both you and the suspect, and your offering a statement is removing his control - your telling him what law has been violated. These kind of folks will tell you your opinion when he wants you to have it. Just be prepared for this type of individual.
    If I find one that rude I usually just drive away. I don't have to stay there.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    One thing I've found that you have to be prepared for is when the responding officer cuts you off after saying, "He is trespassing," and goes, "Your not qualified to tell me what law he's broken. I'll decide who's trespassing. Go stand by my car.".........

...He is asserting control over both you and the suspect....
    I've noticed this to. Police Officers are used to taking control of situations and there is only room for one captain on a ship. When I discern that an officer wants to take charge, then I back off so that we can work together and not butt heads.

Of course, if the officer simply wants to give security a hard time, then it may be necessary to firmly, but respectfully, insist on whatever course of action is necessary to protect the client's rights and interests. If you need to ask for the duty sergeant/supervisor because the officer is out of line, then do it.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    One thing I've found that you have to be prepared for is when the responding officer cuts you off after saying, "He is trespassing," and goes, "Your not qualified to tell me what law he's broken. I'll decide who's trespassing. Go stand by my car."

This is a warning sign, your encounter is not going to go well if you attempt to talk to this person as an equal. He is asserting control over both you and the suspect, and your offering a statement is removing his control - your telling him what law has been violated. These kind of folks will tell you your opinion when he wants you to have it. Just be prepared for this type of individual.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    It seems that his profile and all of his posts are gone.
    Apparently so. Perhaps he decided to start over on another forum even though we told him that most of us are willing to forget about the past and move on. He may have asked the Administrator to delete all his posts and cancel his membership. I wish he would of stayed on. I can deal with someone who comes clean and asks for forgiveness. It's the ones who refuse to change that need to go. I'll miss him.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    That would do the trick here.
    It is critical to our profession that we in the private world provide the responding LEO with factual information. Nebulous information will not provide the desired results. No LEO worth his salt is going to have his career tarnished by doing something stupid.
    Unfortunately, many company guards are hired because they have a pulse, can fog up a mirror, see lightning and hear thunder. That is a lack of supervision, assuming such supervision even exists. The private world should not expect the public world to come to our aid when we don't know what we are doing.
    The only reason the LEO is in the swamp is to empty it. It is difficult at best for the LEO to do accomplish that task when up to his or her butt in alligators.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X