• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Star-Trek S/O's

Originally posted by Tennsix
    I knew that was coming! LOL Look, I am a starfleet man all the way. Star Wars fans have to hold up their skirts when they run.

Damn the quantum torpedos. Warp nine ahead (warp 9.985 for a Sovereign class).
    Working security for the Starship Enterprise is a dead-man's job. They are always the first to "get-it."

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Remember when a night watchman carried a nightstick because he was expected to summon the on-duty cops then stop the bad guy.
    You're right. In fact, that's what my father-in-law did. He passed his nightstick down to me.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I knew that was coming! LOL Look, I am a starfleet man all the way. Star Wars fans have to hold up their skirts when they run.

Your the one bringing creepy pig dudes into this conversation. Also, I can't disagree with you there.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    It may be true, but I thought that the Jedi were the first established law enforcement agency.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Yeah, i guess there were but I thought they got the first "that a boy" in history as the first recognized law enforcment. I could very well be mistaken, I am just going off of memory.
    It may be true, but I thought that the Jedi were the first established law enforcement agency.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    I was unaware that the Gamorrean's had a Guard, and I wouldn't call them a police force. They were more mercs, were they not?

Wikipedia is my friend.
    Yeah, i guess there were but I thought they got the first "that a boy" in history as the first recognized law enforcment. I could very well be mistaken, I am just going off of memory.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Isn't the Gamorrean Guard recognized as the first police force? Sir Robert Peel came up with the Hue and Cry system, which was a watchman program.

What we have today is more in line with the concept Bobby Peel came up with which led to the Metro system.

I never thought about that way, but you are right.
    I was unaware that the Gamorrean's had a Guard, and I wouldn't call them a police force. They were more mercs, were they not?

Wikipedia is my friend.
    Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 04-06-2006, 06:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Re public security vs private security. I see us both doing interventions after the crime has been committed & prevention before a crime can be committed. The difference, as I see it is the proportions. Police do more intervention & private security does more prevention. (My 2 cents )

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Isn't the Gamorrean Guard recognized as the first police force? Sir Robert Peel came up with the Hue and Cry system, which was a watchman program.

What we have today is more in line with the concept Bobby Peel came up with which led to the Metro system.

I never thought about that way, but you are right.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Ok, on public security vs. private security.

The first police force was private. This was the watch. Sometimes empowered by the King, Regent, or Reeve, the Watch turned into... the Sheriff of England's Shires.

London got the idea of a professional police force. It spread like wild fire in America. At first, there were public police and private police. Eventually, the public police basically took over.

You can make a case that sworn agents of the state are public security guards. The problem with this case is the connotation of the word "security guard." We have a set connotation and expectation from this phrase.

A police officer is there to enforce the laws of the state as its agent and to guard the citizens of the jurisdiction from harm - both tortious harm and physical harm.

A security guard is there to enforce the rules of the private property owner as its agent, and to guard the citizens on the owner's property from harm - both tortious harm and physical harm.

Once you remove the connotation, its really the same job. The difference is that the legislatures have assigned more and more responsibility to the public police, while the security industry has shoved more and more responsibility off to both police and other agencies.

Remember when a night watchman carried a nightstick because he was expected to summon the on-duty cops then stop the bad guy.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I do know of one government law enforcement agency that refers to them selves as security.
    Public Security
    Starfleet Security Forces do not count, because they are usually supplanted by Starfleet Marines when the **** hits the fan...

Wait, wrong forum... And before this becomes a SFSEC vs. SFMC debate...
    Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 04-06-2006, 03:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ycaso77
    replied
    I do know of one government law enforcement agency that refers to them selves as security.
    Public Security
    Damn, I forgot about Harry Mudd's arch rivals. I respectfully retire my soapbox.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    For some reason, he has a distain for the police. No one is going to change his mind.
    Something is wrong, that's for sure. Let's see if he answers your questions.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I agree. But Talon's explanation for calling LEO's Public Security Guards just doesn't cut it, in my opinion.
    For some reason, he has a distain for the police. No one is going to change his mind.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Public Security
    OK. You win, Public Security Guard.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X