Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigdog
    replied
    Thats one of the most potent sprays on the market you only need a one second burst and they are done. Well,most of the time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yeah I got it, but I haven't field tested it. I am saving all of it for the next perp who needs some.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog
    Mayor, have you recieved ur sabre in the mail yet? also have you had a chance to field test it ?
    He thought you meant "saber." He tried to field test it and is serving 15-20 years now.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    Mayor, have you recieved ur sabre in the mail yet? also have you had a chance to field test it ?

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Seriously, I would love to get certified with the pepper ball gun. It would have been insanely useful in some situations I've been in.

Leave a comment:

• Taser
    replied
    Originally posted by 1stWatch
    Does that mean you can carry a pepper ball gun? It sounds like that situation would have been ideal for one.
    Or a tear gas grenade gun?

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Mayor
    12403.5 CPC Possession by Private Patrol or Private Investigator
    A person holding a license as a private investigator or private patrol operator issued pursuant to Chapter 11 (commencing with section 7500 "Cal. Guard Card"), Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code, or uniformed patrolmen employees of a private patrol operator, may purchase, possess, or transport any tear gas weapon , if it is used solely for defensive purposes in the course of activity for which the license was issued.

It says any tear gas weapon!
    Does that mean you can carry a pepper ball gun? It sounds like that situation would have been ideal for one.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Mayor
    This weekend I was called to a fight between two male juvenilles approx. 16-17 YOA. There friends were gathered around and became hostile toward me for trying to break them up.. I called for LE back up. and tried unsuccesfully to physically separate the two. I used my mace brand pepper spray on one of the fighters emptying all 18 grams into his eyes and I gave him a little for his nose too. He got very angry and started pounding his fists on the hood of my patrol vehicle denting it quite impressively for someone in that much pain. . At this point the other fighter and his friends left and the angry's guys two friends assumed aggressive fighting stances toward me. I raised my empty mace can toward there face and this kept them at bay (they didn't know it was empty). They stood there trying to get me to fight them. And the angry guy continued slamming on the hood of my car. Shortly thereafter another SO arrived and they split.

This situation has got me thinking for the whole weekend. One way I came up with to disperse angry combatants should this happen again is Bear Spray.

check it out http://www.counterassault.com/

It has 290 grams of pepper, the strongest around, a 9.5 second magnum fog burst. Sounds like it would do the trick to me. Suitable for humans and bears. My employer lets us choose our brand. Anyone have experience with Bear Spray?
    I dont try to physically separate i do two commands of stop or ill spray. then thats it i hose them down.

Leave a comment:

• Warren
    replied
    We had a guard killed here (beat to death) a number of years ago. NOTHING changed here....well I shouldn't say nothing, the government implemented a new licensing program...that sure helped (sarcasm intended).

Im working on a new association to lobby the government for changed to security.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Warren
    Don't forget that under most labour laws, you are not required to do a job if you feel that you are risking an injury. In many of these cases, it could be grevious bodily harm or death. (ie: mob mentality)
    Quebec has a very strict Workmen's Compensation law that allows a worker to refuse to do a task if he feels it is dangerous. However there is an exception if danger is part of the job. Eg. a fireman can not refuse to enter a burning building. I'd love to know what they think about Security Officers working alone.

But in reality an hotel can survive without a formal security department (many in the Montreal area do). So refusing to do extra duties or dangerous calls would certainly cost us our jobs

Leave a comment:

• Warren
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    As I'm getting older I think of this more & more often. Since the mid 80's my dowtown hotel has cut us back to 1 per shift. (Unless they can get an organized group to pay for an extra). Working alone at times we have to deal with 10 or more floors x 29 rooms per floor x 4 per room of drunken college students. We are NOT there to observe & report. We are expected to intervene in disturbances. By law we can't have pepper spray or stun guns etc. About 30 years in the business & I don't know how I've survived with only minor injuries
    Don't forget that under most labour laws, you are not required to do a job if you feel that you are risking an injury. In many of these cases, it could be grevious bodily harm or death. (ie: mob mentality)

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Warren
    Two things, first, you are nuts for getting into the middle with no backup.

Second, I commend you on your desire to protect your employer from any liability, but even if you did nothing, and even if it got to court, it is certainly easy to prove that your lack of action while attending this alone, was simply an officer safety issue.

Beyond that, should you have gotten hurt, or worse yet killed, your employer may have been liable for not providing enough security to safely and effectively deal with situations such as this.
    As I'm getting older I think of this more & more often. Since the mid 80's my dowtown hotel has cut us back to 1 per shift. (Unless they can get an organized group to pay for an extra). Working alone at times we have to deal with 10 or more floors x 29 rooms per floor x 4 per room of drunken college students. We are NOT there to observe & report. We are expected to intervene in disturbances. By law we can't have pepper spray or stun guns etc. About 30 years in the business & I don't know how I've survived with only minor injuries

Leave a comment:

• Warren
    replied
    Two things, first, you are nuts for getting into the middle with no backup.

Second, I commend you on your desire to protect your employer from any liability, but even if you did nothing, and even if it got to court, it is certainly easy to prove that your lack of action while attending this alone, was simply an officer safety issue.

Beyond that, should you have gotten hurt, or worse yet killed, your employer may have been liable for not providing enough security to safely and effectively deal with situations such as this.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    glad i dont live in canada. oc has saved my butt a few times.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    As mentioned, Canada allows citizens to carry "pepper spray" but does not allow us to use it on 2 legged animals only those with 4.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X