X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wvd1979
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard
    I've been scanning since I ws a teen. Dad was a cop and I kept a scanner on to hear him at work. Also got into CB and Shortwave Listening (SWL) which came in handy when I deployed for Desert Shield/Storm. My Shortwave radio kept up up-to-date on the front lines.
    I am also a Ham operator and GMRS radio op. Basically I will dabble with any electronics for fun.
    Several years ago I started a Yahoo Group for scanner listeners in my area and today it has over 300 subscribers. I've used many different scanners over the years and have built up quite a collection. I even record scanner audio hooking one to my computer and running a program that converts it into Mpeg3 files.
    Here's a shot of my radio/computer desk with many of my scanners posed. It's never really this clean-
    Wow! That's quite a collection! There's one guy who lives in the townhouse behind mine, and he has this giant satellite dish that takes up his entire yard. He doesn't cut the grass, he just weedwacks around the dish. I nicknamed him Mission Control. (I can post a photo if anybody is interested)

Leave a comment:

• plankeye
    replied
    Ive been into the scanning hobby since I was about 8yrs old.
    Currently Iam using a Pro 2096 digital scanner, pro 2040 analog scanner and a Pro 94 handheld analog.

I also have a vertex VX-10 UHF 2way HT thats got 102 channels with scan, so I got alot of companys/public safety freqs also some 70cm ham repeaters programmed into it.

Iam a holder of 2 FCC licenses
    Ham radio and GMRS

And more radio equipment is being purchased for ham radio

Leave a comment:

• ACP01
    replied
    I have the best of both worlds.
    Besides being a paid FD Captain I am the Assistant Chief at my local volunteer Fire Department so I have a 2-way that monitors and I can also transmit to FD,PD,and EMS. Yes I use it with blessings on security details when critical info needs to be passed.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    He's referring to his Indiana University Police mobile radio, in that case.
    All cell service and most line lines went down after a tornado a few years ago. No so much because damge but because the public were overloading the system.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Actually a scanner is not more likely than a cell phone to transmit at any time since it only receives & does not transmit.
    He's referring to his Indiana University Police mobile radio, in that case.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    And if you are trapped, it is more likely (than a cell phone) to transmit.
    Actually a scanner is not more likely than a cell phone to transmit at any time since it only receives & does not transmit.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    So do I. Power failures nix the Weather Channel.
    And if you are trapped, it is more likely (than a cell phone) to transmit.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    ..... I will also turn it during severe weather.
    So do I. Power failures nix the Weather Channel.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Count me in. As a former dispatcher, I like to listen in and be aware of any activity near my site. I don't listen to it at home though.
    Hey, I was a dispatcher too. Anyway, I don't have a scanner at home but I might turn my radio if I hear sirens near-by. I will also turn it during severe weather.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Did you read the article about grandma and grandpa being served with a search warrant for allegedly interfering w/police transmissions?

Another terrorist plot thwarted by our ever vigilant authorities.
    Another interesting note re the differences between Canada & the US. In Canada it is LEGAL to listen to cell phone conversations. The problem is that since most scanners are made in the US where it is illegal, this area of the band has been cut out. (It's boring anyway).

It is now ILLEGAL to listen to digital signals in Canada without a license. We believe it means a ham license but no one has checked.

73s EMTGuard, real nice set up!

Montreal Fire Department just switched over to a digital trunked system so I had to fork out $1000.00 Canadian to buy the Uniden Bearcat BCD369T. I'm very happy with it though!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    For scanner stuff I recommend Radio Reference. Great Forums and Database there- http://www.radioreference.com/ .....
    Did you read the article about grandma and grandpa being served with a search warrant for allegedly interfering w/police transmissions?

Another terrorist plot thwarted by our ever vigilant authorities.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Thanks. I'll check it out now.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Nice set-up. I have the license and radios for GMRS. I'm probably one of the very few who even bothered getting the license since the FCC doesn't seem to care about enforcing its own regulations on that level.
    There are a few who still do the right thing and get the license of GRMS. If you want to meet a bunch more and talk GMRS then come join us at the Popular Wireless forums- http://www.popularwireless.com/cgi-b...assCookie=true
    I'm WQBY447 there.

For scanner stuff I recommend Radio Reference. Great Forums and Database there- http://www.radioreference.com/ . I'm cellblock776 there.
    Check out all the scanner installs and shack photos at http://www.radioreference.com/forums...splay.php?f=92 . Some only have one or 2 scanners and others have shacks with more than a dozen radios set up.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    I've been scanning since I ws a teen. Dad was a cop and I kept a scanner on to hear him at work. Also got into CB and Shortwave Listening (SWL) which came in handy when I deployed for Desert Shield/Storm. My Shortwave radio kept up up-to-date on the front lines.
    I am also a Ham operator and GMRS radio op. Basically I will dabble with any electronics for fun.
    Several years ago I started a Yahoo Group for scanner listeners in my area and today it has over 300 subscribers. I've used many different scanners over the years and have built up quite a collection. I even record scanner audio hooking one to my computer and running a program that converts it into Mpeg3 files.
    Here's a shot of my radio/computer desk with many of my scanners posed. It's never really this clean-
    Nice set-up. I have the license and radios for GMRS. I'm probably one of the very few who even bothered getting the license since the FCC doesn't seem to care about enforcing its own regulations on that level.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Any other scanner buffs out there?

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X