No announcement yet.

Your relations with the local police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been looking, but I cant seem to find it exactly. In WA, we have so many things outside of traditional statutes, theres the Revised Code of Washington, the Washington Administrative Code, the State Constitution, the Attorney Generals "stuff", the State Register, etc... so there would be a lot of reading for me to do to pinpoint the exact item which is probably 100 years old.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
      I think it is crazy how the east coast has elected sheriffs (who often come with no LE background). That does not happen here.

Sheriffs are promoted not elected.
      Uhhhh......dude, you need to do some MAJOR HOMEWORK. All Sheriff's are elected officials. If you think you are correct, find where it says it and show me. I am in CA too, Monterey County, Sheriff's are elected, not "promoted" as you think.

Comment

clarification: They are elected from a pool of qualified LE professionals,. It isn't the same as the east coast (as I have heard) where some poplular business owner gets elected and then appoints his cronies as deputies.

If you know of any instances where a random joe has been elected to sheriff in california let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
          An elected Sheriff can't just appoint whomever he wants as a deputy. They still have to meet hiring standards - physical, psychological, background and complete a police academy.

This isn't the old west where you just pin a badge on their shirt and now they're a deputy.
          Heh. You were not here in Florida (Polk County) when a Dan Daniels became Sheriff in the mid 80's.
          Last edited by Echos13; 03-22-2006, 08:12 PM.
          My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Everyone expected Todd "Bubba" Clem to run for Pinellas County (Florida) Sheriff in the 90s or so. Unfortunately for everyone, Bubba Clem failed to certifiy as a LEO with the State of Florida, and was not eligible to run.

Todd "Bubba" Clem is also known as "Bubba the Love Sponge" for those in the area.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
              An elected Sheriff can't just appoint whomever he wants as a deputy. They still have to meet hiring standards - physical, psychological, background and complete a police academy.

This isn't the old west where you just pin a badge on their shirt and now they're a deputy.
              In some cases the sheriff may appoint deputies at will. In my state, the sheriff appoints the chief deputies; they not have to be LE or current members of the dept. If he newly appointed chief deputy is not aleady a police officer, (s)he has to become certified within one year. BTW, the sheriff does not have to be LE certified. The other politcal apointees are generally "special deputies". That role is more ceremonial but can carry more clout if the sheriff so desires. Merit deputies are a lot different. Those people have to meet the standard requirments and their positions are protected; they are fully empowered police officers.
              Last edited by Tennsix; 03-22-2006, 09:30 PM.
              I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
              -Lieutenant Commander Data
              sigpic

Comment

LPO and the Sheriff's Office

Well, this thread started out about police relations, but it has sort of taken off, hasn't it?

As a rule, only floorwalkers (store detectives, Loss Prevention Officers) get any amount of respect here in Newfoundland, from the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary. And who can blame them really? No guard training outside of a correspondence course, ability to work for three months without licence (or criminal check - the only check required), and almost all salaries barely above minimum wage. Talk about 'warm body syndrome'.

More currently in this thread is the police / sheriff thing. Here in Newfoundland the police do their thing, okay. The Sheriff's Office is responsible for enforcing court judgements with regard to liens, seizures, and the like. They are also responsible for court security and prisoner transport within the court building. They do both these latter without firearms, but are otherwise geared to go, including a customized defence / offence training program from a man with instructor certs in about 5 different martial arts.

wjohnc
                Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

At one time the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary were like their counterparts in England, unarmed. Is that still the case out there on the rock?
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Everyone expected Todd "Bubba" Clem to run for Pinellas County (Florida) Sheriff in the 90s or so. Unfortunately for everyone, Bubba Clem failed to certifiy as a LEO with the State of Florida, and was not eligible to run.

Todd "Bubba" Clem is also known as "Bubba the Love Sponge" for those in the area.
                    thank god for police standards.
                    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
                      thank god for police standards.
                      Bubba never bothered to go to St. Pete College Allstate Center. (Regional police "academy" - if there are such things in Florida...) I have a feeling that he would of made it through the program if he went.

While Bubba is loud, annoying, crass, egotistical, and generally a son of a b---h, he is smart.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

im from a bigger country town.the police are always very friendly and helpfull.recently i had to take out an avo (apprehended,violence order)against someone who was dealing drugs at the mall i work at.this bloke threatened to hurt my 3yr old child.the police advised me to take this action so if something did happen(like him come to my work and me smack the crap out of him or my boyfriend he knows he shouldnt be there).there is a new zealand based show called city beat the security guards are employed by the police department to patrol the streets.its reality tv security guards.

Comment

Great working relationship with the police. It helps that I'm on a first name basis with a lot of them. They never mind showing up and seeing that the suspect has been tased and/or handcuffed. By me. The officers I have encountered over the year have always been very friendly with me, not necessarily with my other partners. Where my colleagues might get a ration of s*** for even contacting someone much less restraining them, they don't seem to give me a hard time at all. I've just always been extremely respectful, courteous, and probably most importantly articulate with them. They hate dealing with security who can't seem to explain what happened, who did what, suspect description, direction of travel, etc. Understandably so.
                          10-8

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                            At one time the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary were like their counterparts in England, unarmed. Is that still the case out there on the rock?
                            Nope. This year every constable gets a .40cal Sig P226. I'm pretty sure that the Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU Team) are using the same pistols.

wjohnc
                            Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                            "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Relations with the local yokals...

Anyone that has ever read my posts here know that I am not a very big fan of the locals generally, that being said I can't stress enough the fact that it is a nessesary evil that you will likely need to have a working relationship with them on some level.

The problem is LEO's are alot of times like a wife or husband as the case may be, in that...you can't do anything right! If you call them to much "your not doing your job", If you don't call them "your not doing your job", "why don't you handle it?" or "Let us handle it", it's a no win situation, all of your answers are always wrong.

The only advise that I could give would be CYA because no one else will especially not your Employer, definitly not the State, and most definitly not the Locals.

Comment

Originally posted by talon
                                Anyone that has ever read my posts here know that I am not a very big fan of the locals generally, that being said I can't stress enough the fact that it is a nessesary evil that you will likely need to have a working relationship with them on some level.

The problem is LEO's are alot of times like a wife or husband as the case may be, in that...you can't do anything right! If you call them to much "your not doing your job", If you don't call them "your not doing your job", "why don't you handle it?" or "Let us handle it", it's a no win situation, all of your answers are always wrong.

The only advise that I could give would be CYA because no one else will especially not your Employer, definitly not the State, and most definitly not the Locals.
                                Talon:
                                When I look back on my days as a LEO, things were hairy in the late 60's and early 70's. I realize now just how important it was and as it is now, just being able to go home after a shift was an accomplishment.
                                As one of our instructors used to say, "Even paranoids have enemies." Trying to do your job, fulfill your passion, and not losing your mind can be a challenge. You and a LEO must compassionate but at the same time, firm and above all, fair.
                                Enjoy the day,
                                Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X